NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horrible 1st Jupiter

Managed to image Jupiter for the first time tonight. Conditions weren't that great but I managed to get an image. Focus is a pain as everything is so cold and stiff. Also still trying to get the capture software and registax figured out.

Maybe if I had a bigger image to start with I would have better luck. Tried using a 2x barlow but then I couldn't get an image on the laptop.

Oh well. It's a start I guess.

post-32831-0-33887700-1387430318_thumb.j

Better than anything i have ever gotten of Jupiter yet keep at it!

Thanks. I guess I see pics of Jupiter that guys put up with way better scopes than mine with way better camera equipment and I just expect more lol.

I'll keep plugging away at it when time and skies permit. I do take a little pride in the fact that I took an image of something so many millions of miles away lol!

Any image is wortwhile it teaches you a lot and gives plenty to do during the cloudy nights trying to figure out all the software packages. Small improvements with each session is my aim and thats what makes this hobby so facinating for me.

not a bad firtst image, at least you can tell which planet it is mine was a coloured blob!

next time try inreasing the brightness until you can see one of the moons and set your focus looking at the moon. you can then adjust the brightness/gain to increase the detail.

the most important thing for me was to learn to take your time, there is no point in capturing poor quality AVI's get comfortable and get the best you can for that night. experimentation and practice are the best things you can do, good luck!

The focus right now is rough. By the time I let the scope acclimate, the focuser is pretty stiff. Even the slightest tweak in the focus causes huge vibrations and then I need to wait for the camera to catch up. (hope that makes sense)

The focus for this image took me about 30 min as I did want to get the best I could. 

I tried other things too. Using a 2x barlow to get a bigger image. Tried zooming in like the manual said to get a better focus then zooming back out. 

It was hard to do anything with it in Registax as what I had in video was barely a dot on the screen.

Agree with everyone.... don't do yourself down, you've captured jupiter! There's some incredible images of jupiter on here but I think you find most of them have got guided mounts worth a grand and up! Then there's all the Registax stuff. overlaying thousands of images to 'remove' the atmosphere. Here's my one and only Jupiter. And this is with a ten inch DOB.

Single image, sony compact  through 8mm eyepiece.

Can't wait to get hold of a CCD.

I have moded a webcam but not managed (rather embarrasingly) to get Jupiter in the laptop yet, well, I have but it's way over exposed so not worth capturing... I've only just downloaded sharp cap to change the webcam exposure settings.

ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY IS HARD!

Agree with everyone.... don't do yourself down, you've captured jupiter! There's some incredible images of jupiter on here but I think you find most of them have got guided mounts worth a grand and up! Then there's all the Registax stuff. overlaying thousands of images to 'remove' the atmosphere. Here's my one and only Jupiter. And this is with a ten inch DOB.

Single image, sony compact  through 8mm eyepiece.

Can't wait to get hold of a CCD.

I have moded a webcam but not managed (rather embarrasingly) to get Jupiter in the laptop yet, well, I have but it's way over exposed so not worth capturing... I've only just downloaded sharp cap to change the webcam exposure settings.

ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY IS HARD!

You know you're right. Jupiter is sooooo far away and to be able to catch an image of it and to be able to kind of distinguish the bands is amazing. Considering it's only a couple of mirrors and a couple of lenses. 

But I KNOW I can do better so I will keep trying!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

You've managed to get a picture of Jupiter and an idea how to improve, that's a win-win in my book! So far I've only managed a couple of shots of the moon and a headache from trying to work out the problem of how the heck do I use my webcam in conjunction with an eyepiece to get a decent magnification?

Your further along the path of what is supposed to be 'a nice simple hobby' (I feel my friend may have been telling me a few fibs) but we'll all get there in the end....I hope!

Archived