Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D3200 24.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera

Stargazer 2013

Yes the camera does say DX on it, Been looking at

Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm but it's over £250 and more..t says its a 70-300mm but it can get to 105-450mm usng a Nikon DX

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-AF-S-VR-Zoom-Nikkor-70-300mm-F-4-5-5-6-G-IF-ED-SN-13-493-/261348543503?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3cd9964c0f  LINKY

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are staying with DX then the 55-300 VR is a better lens, and it's only £180.00.

The top four pics here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202786-before-the-storm/ were taken with that lens, at: 300mm f6.3, 55mm f16, 116mm F10 and 80mm f11 :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-AF-S-55-300mm-DX-VR-G-Lens-for-D7100-D5100-D3200-D3100-D600-D800-D5200-D4-/251389535843?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3a87fbe663

This one?

I'm not a big fan of big zooms.   Full of optical compromises.   But that is just me, many folks don't care.

If you got the typical "kit" lens, the 18-55mm, what I would do is get the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens. With the crop factor taken into account due to the APS-C sensor size, it will be your quality normal lens.   Lightweight, excellent walkaround lens for all day carry. 

Some folks like the ease of a big zoom, like the 18-200mm or the 18-300mm.... but for me, they are big, heavy, bulky and not fun to hang around your neck all day.

The intended next lens for the kit cameras like yours, is the AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX lens.   It's made in China, the optics are fine but the build quality is consumer grade.  If you're not a working photographer that needs ruggedness, it'll be okay.   I gave one to my other son for his D3100 and it works just fine. 

With the 18-55mm kit lens, the prime 35mm and the 55-200mm, you would be set for anything.   The equivalent full frame sizes would be 27-82mm, 52mm and 82-300mm due to the crop factor on the DX sensor.

The 35mm lens being the best of the 3 and the one I would leave on the camera body most of the time and just learn the art of positioning yourself and framing shots.   The only thing zooms do is allow you to stand still, instead of walking towards or away from the subject.

My dos centavos.   Have fun!

300mm is a bit excessive for a DX camera.  That's the equivalent of a 450mm on a full frame camera (35mm, D700...etc).

As dkbender says, I'm also not a huge fan of zoom.  Better to get closer.

In the end, your favorite lenses are going to be something like a 35mm or 50mm F1.8.  Something similar.

I've been using a D40 (yes, it is simple, but still does everything I need) for about 6 years now, and the 50mm 1.8 stays on my camera.  Hardly ever use anything else.

Though, my new favorite lens for my camera, is this one..  :D

tele1.jpg

-----------------

Hope you are dealing with the loss of your son ok.  I'm a praying man, and will (and have) make mention of this.

300mm is a bit excessive for a DX camera.  That's the equivalent of a 450mm on a full frame camera (35mm, D700...etc).

As dkbender says, I'm also not a huge fan of zoom.  Better to get closer.

In the end, your favorite lenses are going to be something like a 35mm or 50mm F1.8.  Something similar.

I've been using a D40 (yes, it is simple, but still does everything I need) for about 6 years now, and the 50mm 1.8 stays on my camera.  Hardly ever use anything else.

Though, my new favorite lens for my camera, is this one..  :D

tele1.jpg

-----------------

Hope you are dealing with the loss of your son ok.  I'm a praying man, and will (and have) make mention of this.

wow..hope you don't go hill walking with that :)

The 50mm F1.8 AFD will be manual focus on a D3200.

I can also cast aside myths about prime lenses being better than zooms:-

This is the 50mm F1.8 AFD and 55-300mm VR in direct comparison at F5.6 and using full size crops on a D300. Judge for yourself ;)

55v50_zps297c422f.jpg

Hello Michael,

That comparison is not really telling the whole story.   Put an 85mm f/1.8G on (I have the f/1.4G, which is even better) and compare it to the zoom at 85mm... then do a 135mm f/2 DC, then do the 300mm f/4 and compare them and  look at the differences then.   The primes will outperform the zoom because of the zoom's optical compromises.

Stargazer 2013,  have a look through these reviews.   http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

There are a ton of lens reviews in there but specifically look at the 35mm f/1.8G DX review and then the 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX review.   Compare those to the others and make your decision and keep asking questions.

Best!

Dave

are all non focus lens primes? I need to learn more lolk

no, primes are fixed focal lengths.   any AF-S lens has the focus motor built in and is a separate issue.   You could have old primes and zooms that are D model or AF type that will not autofocus on your camera.   Just stick with AF-S and it will always autofocus.

Hello Michael,

That comparison is not really telling the whole story.   Put an 85mm f/1.8G on (I have the f/1.4G, which is even better) and compare it to the zoom at 85mm... then do a 135mm f/2 DC, then do the 300mm f/4 and compare them and  look at the differences then.   The primes will outperform the zoom because of the zoom's optical compromises.

Stargazer 2013,  have a look through these reviews.   http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

There are a ton of lens reviews in there but specifically look at the 35mm f/1.8G DX review and then the 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX review.   Compare those to the others and make your decision and keep asking questions.

Best!

Dave

that link very good thanks

that link very good thanks

it ain't my first rodeo!   ;-)    (an American saying)

here's what an 85mm f/1.4G prime lens can do, this is a portrait of my dog I took not long ago, that no zoom lens can do....  check out the sharpness in the center in the focal plane and then look at the background bokeh (bokeh is the past focal plan out of focus).   This lens does bokeh better than almost any other lens, except maybe the 135mm f/2 DC.

DSC_7366_DxOFPMedium_zpsa4a19807.jpg

That is not a lens I would buy for your D3200.   It's a D and you will be manually focusing all the time.   Trust me, find the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX.   THAT is your prime, normal lens for your camera.   If you want more zoom, also get the AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX lens.   Like I said earlier, with those 2 lens additions to your kit lens, you will have everything covered and do it cost effectively.

Archived