Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D3200 24.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera

Stargazer 2013

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stargazer 2013.
It's a camera, and a Nikon.
I haven't used one of these but I bet it is going to give you some great images.
Ignore what you might read about problems with AP with Nikon's, I use them all the time.

There are loads of Images on my web pages linked from my signature if you have a look.
Get yourself an intervalometer (Like this one) to go with it to take long exposures.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side of astronomy. 

Dave

Hi Stargazer 2013.

It's a camera, and a Nikon.

I haven't used one of these but I bet it is going to give you some great images.

Ignore what you might read about problems with AP with Nikon's, I use them all the time.

There are loads of Images on my web pages linked from my signature if you have a look.

Get yourself an intervalometer (Like this one) to go with it to take long exposures.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side of astronomy. 

Dave

Thanks for reply,I have looked at that intervalometer and it says you have to keep taking the batteries out because it won't turn off any other way? Looks good though

The camera is an entry level model so can't be any easier to use. The intervalometer is a great bit of kit for AP & you will have a lot of fun with it. I also use a Nikon camera & have found ways around many of the problems of not going down the canon route ( the intervalometer was one of them). Stick with it, learn how to get the best out of this camera & enjoy!

If you come across a specific problem that you can't solve, ask on here & I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Rob

Am I able to take a picture every minute say for 1 hour,is this possible with this D3200 intervalometer? Because would like to do a small video time lapse.

That is exactly what the intervalometer is used for.

Well since the death of my son on Saturday I wasn't going to get one but he said dad please promise me you get it..So I did it for him and like this camera. Took a few pics of cats and stuff..Still learning it but can't get used to this intervalometer I got. Manual is not great or maybe it's me can't think straight at the moment because of my sons suicide

I bought one a few months back as I've always wanted a decent camera. I'm saving for a house at the moment so buying anything to lavish was totally out of the question. I've found the camera very easy to use and get on with it very well.

If you want to do some widefield stuff, treat yourself to a 50mm prime (http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-50mm-f1-8-d-af-lens/p12869), I'm almost positive that's the one I bought.

I'm finding photography much more of a learning curve than I ever imagined. I set the camera to manual and try to work out everything myself as I find I learn more that way.

James

Hi Stargazer 2013, sorry to hear such sad news!

I used to own a D3100 and it was brilliant little camera. I guess the D3200 will be an improvement to the previous models, so it should be a great one.

I currently own a Nikon D7000 and it's wonderful, it handles the noise very well and it also has an integrated on-screen intervallometer. It's a brilliant camera!

I also recommend to get a prime lens as suggested by vtrjames, however, note that the lens advertised in the link was designed for film cameras and they work great on Full Frame cameras, however it will have a crop factor of 1.5 when used with the D3200 (DX format), meaning that it will work as a 75mm rather then as a 50mm, so pictures will look narrower then a 50mm, becoming less wide. An old 35mm will work at about 50mm or else you could get a 35mm 1.8 "DX" format.

Let us know how you get on with your Nikon :)

The Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX lens is the prime normal lens for their DX range of cameras.  It's a very good lens and inexpensive too.

I have the D7000 (DX) APS-C sensor size body (it has the wonderful Sony IMX071 sensor) and a D700 (FX) pro-sumer body with full frame sensor.   So, now I buy lenses that work on full frame, that are still fine on the D7000.    I only use two lenses (usually) on the DX, the above mentioned 35mm DX lens and a AF-S 300mm f/4 ED-IF lens with their TC14e II teleconverter.

wow!   Stargazer 2013, I missed the bit about you losing your son.   I'm very sorry to read that.   Of all the people here, I'm one of the few that can relate.   I lost my eldest son 9 yrs ago, he was only 23.  It's the most difficult thing I've ever had to reckon with.

by the way, Milly must have been blind for 20 minutes after that shot.   :-)

lol..she was quite far away,well  6ft or so.. I enlarged it because a 24mp is great to enlarge..Well I bought

Celestron Universal 1.25" T-Adapter + Nikon T2 Ring Adapter so should be here after New Year :kiss:

wow!   Stargazer 2013, I missed the bit about you losing your son.   I'm very sorry to read that.   Of all the people here, I'm one of the few that can relate.   I lost my eldest son 9 yrs ago, he was only 23.  It's the most difficult thing I've ever had to reckon with.

sorry about your son.. Hard isn't it..Mine was only 21.. Feel so lonely now in my house.

Just something to be aware of, the 50mm AFD lens listed above won't autofocus on a D3200. AFD lenses require a body with an autofocus motor which the D3200 doesn't have. For autofocus you need AFS lenses which have a built in AF motor.

Just something to be aware of, the 50mm AFD lens listed above won't autofocus on a D3200. AFD lenses require a body with an autofocus motor which the D3200 doesn't have. For autofocus you need AFS lenses which have a built in AF motor.

Hi,so if  buy another lense it has to be  a AFS lens?

Thanks

yes, AF-S is what you need.   If there are no plans to go FX, full frame, then you need the DX designation lenses that are AF-S.   But just understand that if you ever go full frame, all the DX lenses will be useless on the FX.

The truth is, the bodies go obsolete in about 4 years, the real investment is in the glass and Nikon makes some of the very best out there.   I have the AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8, the AF-S 85mm f/1.4G and the previously mentioned AF-S 300mm f/4 ED-IF.   My bodies will work with the older D series, so I have quite a few of those and the lovely manual primes and zooms from the 70's and 80's.   I just have to manually focus.... not a big deal.    Nikon did not obsolete their older lenses with the new bodies like Canon did to their loyal fan base years ago.   I have lenses from the 70's that still work perfectly fine.  All told, I have 11 Nikon lenses and only three are zooms.    A friend of mine wants to sell his AF-D 135mm f/2 DC lens to me.... it is the ultimate portrait lens.   I'll pick that one up soon and add it to the stable.

Archived