NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan & OTA orientation (EQ8)

Astroscot2

Im a total novice when it comes to goto mounts and software.  My EQ8 has just landed and has been mounted and set up for imaging. My plan is to use a side by side set up and work from the hand controller for a while until im happy to look at EQmod.

I already have a question before I get first light that I dont see any obvious answer in the instructions booklet.

How does the mount know im working with an OTA at 90 degrees to the saddle plate,i.e an offset from the normal scope position,  is the answer to do with the home position?  so far by Gotos look to be 90 degrees off, sorry for such a daft question ?

Thanks

Mark

Peter: Because of the encoders on the EQ8 when auto home is activated it will always return to the same position, with a side by side setup telescopes will point to east or west instead of straight up.

Mark: I have a EQ8 too and wondered about how to deal with a side by side and home position. I think the solution would be for Skywatcher to add an option in the handset so the mount can autohome to 90 degrees from the normaly home position.

EQMOD doesn't use the home sensors yet so it won't affect operation when used from a computer.

Hi Guy's,

Can the mounting plate (puck) be unbolted and replaced at 90 deg?... that would solve the home sensor problem for side by side mounting.

Just a thought as I don't have an EQ8....YET. :rolleyes:  :grin:

All the best with your new mount.

Sandy.

Ah!

Ok then... I asked becouse after reading the EQ8 manual... the diagram of the mount head specifies that the 4 x M6 screws holding the mounting plate are on an equally spaced 76mm Pitch circle.

Presumably the problem is the 2x 6mm OD locating pins.

Are these fitted into the bottom of the plate, locating in holes in the head... or the other way round?

If they are fitted into the head... can 2 additional holes not be drilled into the bottom of the plate?

It seems odd that SW have not thought of this possibility, since a lot of users would require it.

Interesting problem.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I can now confirm that the puck can be rotated 90 degrees to change the auto home position. The 4 screws has some kind of "glue" on them so they are a little hard too loosen.

Here are the steps

1 ) unscrew the 3 screws fastening the saddleplate and take it off.

2 ) uncrew the 4 screws on the puck, make sure clutch is loose and rotate 90 degrees

3 ) reassemble and enjoy correct auto home position for side by side setups :grin:

• 1 year later...

Archived