12v DC power supply to Canon 40D

reader34

Hello ladies and gentleman!

With my power tank project under construction ( Waiting for parts ) I wanted to think about power for my  camera. I've done some research on this website and others, and it seems the best route is to use a battery eliminator. Of course buy one of the shelf - or make your own.

Now I don't really feel like splitting open a battery old or new. And would rather buy a battery eliminator like this.  They all come with AC inverters. Would be nice to find just a battery eliminator on it's own.

I don't want to go down the AC route - rather power the camera via DC.  I've found this DC - DC converter. It is to my understanding that the Canon 40D takes a voltage of 7.4v. This converter has a setting for 7.5v.  I'm not fussed about using live view on the camera, as I'll be using a computer ( assuming that all works lol). Just to mention, according to this website - potentially the camera could use 8.2v. But I'm worried that might be pushing it? 

I'm on a budget of £20. I've seen devices like this that are double my budget. What is everyone thoughts about this product? 

Not interested in a battery grip/ more canon batteries.

Regards,

Paul :).

Hi Paul,

I would be a little carefull about choosing that power supply... a lot of these cheap versions are not very well regulated.

You would also have to make VERY sure that you selected the correct output polarity for your camera. :eek:

You would also still need to locate/obtain/make the battery eliminator part, since I am fairly sure you can't plug the small 2.5mm - 3mm DC jack straight into the 40D camera.

I would advise that you save a bit longer and get the proper Canon battery eliminator.

Take care.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hello ladies and gentleman!

With my power tank project under construction ( Waiting for parts ) I wanted to think about power for my  camera. I've done some research on this website and others, and it seems the best route is to use a battery eliminator. Of course buy one of the shelf - or make your own.

Now I don't really feel like splitting open a battery old or new. And would rather buy a battery eliminator like this.  They all come with AC inverters. Would be nice to find just a battery eliminator on it's own.

I don't want to go down the AC route - rather power the camera via DC.  I've found this DC - DC converter. It is to my understanding that the Canon 40D takes a voltage of 7.4v. This converter has a setting for 7.5v.  I'm not fussed about using live view on the camera, as I'll be using a computer ( assuming that all works lol). Just to mention, according to this website - potentially the camera could use 8.2v. But I'm worried that might be pushing it? 

I'm on a budget of £20. I've seen devices like this that are double my budget. What is everyone thoughts about this product? 

Not interested in a battery grip/ more canon batteries.

Regards,

I use a battery grip and am going to adapt it so that it can run off batteries or a dc supply theres lots of room inside it for modding and it means you dont have to open up an old battery. My battery grip also came with an AA battery convertor too.

Hi Paul,

I would be a little carefull about choosing that power supply... a lot of these cheap versions are not very well regulated.

You would also have to make VERY sure that you selected the correct output polarity for your camera. :eek:

You would also still need to locate/obtain/make the battery eliminator part, since I am fairly sure you can't plug the small 2.5mm - 3mm DC jack straight into the 40D camera.

I would advise that you save a bit longer and get the proper Canon battery eliminator.

Take care.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Oh jeez.. I forgot about polarity! It's such a shame the 40D didn't come DC input ( life would be so much easier lol). 

Thank you Sandy!

Kind regards

I use a battery grip and am going to adapt it so that it can run off batteries or a dc supply theres lots of room inside it for modding and it means you dont have to open up an old battery. My battery grip also came with an AA battery convertor too.

Interesting! I assume you have more room to move about then, opening up a battery..EEK! Ha!

What about weight, does it add much. I've got an NEQ6 with an 4 inch TAL. Shouldn't be an issue right? 

Kind regards,

Paul :)

Oh jeez.. I forgot about polarity! It's such a shame the 40D didn't come DC input ( life would be so much easier lol). 

Thank you Sandy!

Kind regards

Interesting! I assume you have more room to move about then, opening up a battery..EEK! Ha!

What about weight, does it add much. I've got an NEQ6 with an 4 inch TAL. Shouldn't be an issue right? 

Kind regards,

Paul :)

The grip with two batteries fitted in it weighs about the same as an empty mug (dont have any scales at hand) . I dont have problems with my setup with the extra weight in fact since i fitted the battery grip its never been off the camera, a bonus for mine is that i can change batteries with the camera still mounted on a tripod.

The grip with two batteries fitted in it weighs about the same as an empty mug (dont have any scales at hand) . I dont have problems with my setup with the extra weight in fact since i fitted the battery grip its never been off the camera, a bonus for mine is that i can change batteries with the camera still mounted on a tripod.

I'm liking this. However I'm stuck now between the £27 modification that Stevie P mentioned and the battery grip. I'm going to have a good think about this one!

Regards,

Paul.

I'm liking this. However I'm stuck now between the £27 modification that Stevie P mentioned and the battery grip. I'm going to have a good think about this one!

Regards,

Paul.

Get both and because the psu adapter is in the grip and not the camera there should be no issues with localised heating. Just checked my grip has a slide to accept the adapter cable too nice.

Word of caution though if using the grip with the dc adapter make sure you remove both batteries.

• 1 month later...

Hello ladies and gentleman.

A little update: I've decided to go for a battery grip. Which I got for 20 quid! I've got some good rechargeable batteries I can use ( well within budget )

On a side note I've  been playing with EQMOD, and noticed the increase of cables :o So to have less cables from the camera to computer is a bonus :D

Again thank you everyone for the advice!

Hello ladies and gentleman.

A little update: I've decided to go for a battery grip. Which I got for 20 quid! I've got some good rechargeable batteries I can use ( well within budget )

On a side note I've  been playing with EQMOD, and noticed the increase of cables :o So to have less cables from the camera to computer is a bonus :D

Again thank you everyone for the advice!

Hi paul,

I have two of these power supplies for my Canons and I found that that they caused more problem than they resolved , I constantly had USB connection problems while using the power supply and, now gone back to battery again,  also all that wiring being loose around the scope too.The battery grip is a good idea with the exception of the weight of the grip, you just do not want  too much weight hanging from the focuser.

Regards,

A.G

Hi paul,

I have two of these power supplies for my Canons and I found that that they caused more problem than they resolved , I constantly had USB connection problems while using the power supply and, now gone back to battery again,  also all that wiring being loose around the scope too.The battery grip is a good idea with the exception of the weight of the grip, you just do not want  too much weight hanging from the focuser.

Regards,

A.G

Hey A.G,

Hopefully it doesn't add too much on the focuser, I will report my findings when it get's delivered.

Just the thought of extra wires makes me cringe, or a cable snagging!

Paul.

Hey A.G,

Hopefully it doesn't add too much on the focuser, I will report my findings when it get's delivered.

Just the thought of extra wires makes me cringe, or a cable snagging!

Paul.

Too right Paul, I have lost count of how many times I lost the power to the mount or the CCD  in mid imaging session because of the wiring coming loose or my stepping on them, I do not have an obsy so  it is a matter of setting up and packing it after each session with those electric wires hanging about are a pain.

A.G

Too right Paul, I have lost count of how many times I lost the power to the mount or the CCD  in mid imaging session because of the wiring coming loose or my stepping on them, I do not have an obsy so  it is a matter of setting up and packing it after each session with those electric wires hanging about are a pain.

A.G

Yep I'm in the same boat. No observatory.

I was packing up a few nights ago, and geez..the mud all over the cables lol! At least I have one least cable to worry about :)

I'm trying to work on a modular system, where all the cables are bundled together. So say it starts to rain/snow I can quickly pack up. Work in progress :)

On a side note - I think my rechargeable double AA batteries have had it. Do you have any experience with this brand? They have good reviews and I'm tempted. 

Paul

Yep I'm in the same boat. No observatory.

I was packing up a few nights ago, and geez..the mud all over the cables lol! At least I have one least cable to worry about :)

I'm trying to work on a modular system, where all the cables are bundled together. So say it starts to rain/snow I can quickly pack up. Work in progress :)

On a side note - I think my rechargeable double AA batteries have had it. Do you have any experience with this brand? They have good reviews and I'm tempted. 

Paul

Hi Paul,

So Sorry, I don't use any rechargables. I have a couple of Maplins jump starters that could power the mount and the CCD for a couple of hours, I was going to say that they don't last long enough but the longest  limaging session I have recently  had and for a while has been  about 40 minutes, so they are I guess adequate. Been trying to convince myself to get a Lithium Polymer power pack but they are expensive. I wonder how long 22 ApH would last powering the mount, CCD and the Dew stips all together?

A.G

Hi Paul,

So Sorry, I don't use any rechargables. I have a couple of Maplins jump starters that could power the mount and the CCD for a couple of hours, I was going to say that they don't last long enough but the longest  limaging session I have recently  had and for a while has been  about 40 minutes, so they are I guess adequate. Been trying to convince myself to get a Lithium Polymer power pack but they are expensive. I wonder how long 22 ApH would last powering the mount, CCD and the Dew stips all together?

A.G

Oh that's no problem! 

I'm not sure how long a CCD and Dew strips would last on 22Aph, however I a Leisure Battery would have no problem ( probably would go on all night with that setup). Of course weight can be an issue to certain folks. Again it's all down to personal preference.

I assume a CCD uses less power then a DSLR? 

Oh that's no problem! 

I'm not sure how long a CCD and Dew strips would last on 22Aph, however I a Leisure Battery would have no problem ( probably would go on all night with that setup). Of course weight can be an issue to certain folks. Again it's all down to personal preference.

I assume a CCD uses less power then a DSLR? 

I have a 40AH Lithium battery and running the mount, dew heaters, cameras and laptop for six hours doesn't make a dent in it so I should think a 22AH one would be fine.

CCD probably uses more power because of the cooling fan

Dave

Archived