NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st image ever

First clear skies tonight in almost a week. Just after sunset the moon was shining bright so I thought I would try to get a few shots of it. 

It was low in the sky and just over a house and between some trees but I managed to get my first images. The Starshoot program is still very new to me as is Registax. Not really sure what I am doing yet so I was pretty pleased at my first attempt.

Also I'm sorry for double posting this. Put it in the Lunar Imaging topic as well. Wasn't sure where to put it lol. 

post-32831-0-16499800-1387181919_thumb.j

That is great. Looks good on my phone.

How did you capture the data?

James

This whole imaging thing is way, way new to me. The image is from about 10 seconds of video from an Orion Starshoot 5mp. 

I ran it through Registax but I really couldn't tell you what I did to it lol. It is a daunting program for me and I just played around with it for about an hour. 

This is what I originally came up with and after playing with Registax some more I got the image I originally posted.

1st moon shot.bmp

What frane rate was the video shot at? If say 20 frmes per second, 10 seconds, that's 20 frames. I suspect 10 seconds is a bit short as any changes in the seeing between you and the moon will fluxtuate a lot over the course of a minute. So i'd say have a go at filming for a longer period and then stack only the best 50% of frames.

Registax is tricky to get your head around at first. Olaying with it is the best way. It is tine consuming but you'll pick it up.

There will be people who say things like "never touch the third wavelet slider" but you just need to experiment.

There is other stacking software like AS2! Which i keep meaning to play with more, but it's just finding the time / interest.

A really good start for you anyway. And remember focus is the key, so spend a good amount of time getting that just right in the first place as registax can't correct that :)

James

What frane rate was the video shot at? If say 20 frmes per second, 10 seconds, that's 20 frames. I suspect 10 seconds is a bit short as any changes in the seeing between you and the moon will fluxtuate a lot over the course of a minute. So i'd say have a go at filming for a longer period and then stack only the best 50% of frames.

Registax is tricky to get your head around at first. Olaying with it is the best way. It is tine consuming but you'll pick it up.

There will be people who say things like "never touch the third wavelet slider" but you just need to experiment.

There is other stacking software like AS2! Which i keep meaning to play with more, but it's just finding the time / interest.

A really good start for you anyway. And remember focus is the key, so spend a good amount of time getting that just right in the first place as registax can't correct that :)

James

Resolution was 640x480. There were 105 frames in the 10 seconds. So about 10.5 fps??

I found it irritating that whatever I did with the software took about 6 or 7 seconds to show up on the "live" screen feed. There was this annoying delay. Same as when I tried to focus the camera. I'd move the focuser and have to wait. Move it again and wait. 

I should also say that I didn't align the scope in any way. Just found the moon in the EP and stuck the camera in. Had to keep slewing manually to keep it in the screen. That's why I didn't try longer video. I didn't think that a long filming time would work as the moon traveled across the sky.

Focus does take time as you left the telescope's vibrations settle down and you can view if your adjustment has improved or made it worse. What capture software are you using?

You can do it as the object scoots across the field of view, but i suspect you'd get much better results if you could get the scope roughly polar aligned and the tracking sorted.

James

Focus does take time as you left the telescope's vibrations settle down and you can view if your adjustment has improved or made it worse. What capture software are you using?

You can do it as the object scoots across the field of view, but i suspect you'd get much better results if you could get the scope roughly polar aligned and the tracking sorted.

James

Focus was an issue last night as the extreme cold made the focuser knob very hard to turn. Fine tuning it was difficult. 

The capture software is called EZPlanCap. It came with the imager.

I did do a rough "solar system" alignment using the moon but I bumped the scope after I had the camera in and had to slew back with the hand control so I know the tracking was canceled. If it hadn't been so cold (-2F) I would have done a proper alignment and realigned after I had bumped it but it was just too cold to stay out for any length of time.

Archived