Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation Astro 2.5 Barlow

Charic

Revelation Astro 2.5 Barlow. After 5 nights of waiting, I've just come in from testing my new Barlow. Its 0540Hrs. No real scientific results here, just a basic quick view. I allowed the scope and lenses to cool down, and went straight in with my 8mm. The view was normal at 150x  I then added the Barlow lens, and tonight its a bit extreme, its a little difficult to get a sharp image, but at 375x,  that's  got to be expected, but the size of Jupiter was about the size of a big fat marrow pea in my hand? so I'm impressed with that. Then a quick trial of the other lenses and again, quite impressive. I even Barlowed the SW 10mm (300x) The TFOV was atrocious, Jupiter just sailed away in seconds, but as a  result of using the 10mm, I think a second hand 5mm BST may be of use to me at some stage later. The 18mm and 25mm BST's all Barlowed well, infact, I could do away with the 5mm if i Barlow a 12mm BST.  I think that will be about my limit at 250x. I thought the best image at one stage was from the 18mm Barlowed? Also the Street light was so over-powering. I was easily reading the text on the eyepieces, and the Moon was still up! The Revelation does what its supposed to do. Maybe under better conditions, things will look better. There's was also a coolish wind making my eyes water this morning. I haven't collimated for about 2 Months, and visually things look ok, still getting good diffraction spikes, and concentric circles from  out of focus  bright stars, so I will just blame the seeing conditions this early morning. I even managed my first Astro photograph using a 200P Dob! Its in my gallery. Nothing spectacular, but a first nevertheless :smiley:

It's a nice, reasonably priced, piece of kit. Your right does exactly what it says on the box. I prefer mine in conjunction with mid to low power, probably because in my 9mm xcel the mag is too high for current conditions.

Nice photo, was it camera to the lens or an adaptor?

Fozzie........D5000  and just adaptors. ( T-Ring  &  T-Adaptor from the Skywatcher's  2"-1.25" adaptor, and I think I also used the 2" adaptor ) Camera set to manual, otherwise the Nikon wont play, 1/10 sec shutter and ISO 2000. Just a tester. A  recent thread on using the 200P/D for  aviation photography gave me some thought. I would like to produce some images of the Moon myself, and think that's easily achievable, but not really interested in setting up for Nebula or planetary work.

Wow!.........wow!............blumming `ell, that's amazing I've never seen it as big as that before"

Tha'ts the exact words my Mrs just said to me in the garden :smiley:  She was talking about the Moon. I'm using the 8mm BST and the Revelation 2.5. I've got 375x and the Moon is frikin amazing. Jupiter is not high enough yet, to  try and better the views I had earlier today, but alas the scope is back in-doors, as its so windy here in Scotland tonight.  Also managed a snapshot of the Moon with the DSLR / Prime focus. I`ll deal with that later.

EDIT* Moon pics in Gallery. very simple shots, no editing. 

Archived