NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC457

Ewan

Not many small star groups of late so thought i'd post this, something i grabbed in one night whilst waiting for another target.

25 mins for each channel

LRGB NGC457

post-11075-0-84216600-1386980900_thumb.p

It was good practice for me trying to sort acceptable star colours & still learning, hope you like it though.

Nice little grouping there Ewan

Thank you Francis,

Like i said these little clusters are, for me anyway, not imaged enough, i appreciate they are quite 'boring' to some but i think they are beautiful & others need to be encouraged to do more of them, now i have the Atik i can't wait to try out M56,M13 etc on the C8, i'd like to get enough data to pick out the individual stars to a certain degree.

It's all fun & i love it.

Yes that's a nice shot Ewan, this other target would that be the iris cause I am looking forward to seeing that one mate

It is Andy, i now have about 7 hours worth of data i think, some will be scapped because of tracking / dew but it's an on going project for the time being.

I commented on your Iris didn't i, love the detail you grabbed so it's sort of given me something to aim for.

I am having a little trouble with the surrounding dust to be honest, the dust i feel should be shown as browny / coppery colour, to me that sais to boost the red channel slightly but if i just do it as a stretch on R a lot of my stars are comming out red / magenta :mad: .

I need a fair few more subs i think mainly Lum though, the Ha filter also picks this target up which i may add as well, i will do a test stack of 5 x 300 sec subs & see what it produces then go from there, don't want to waste imaging time.

That's very nice Ewan... and the star colours are spot on for me.

Cheer's Ian, i'll let you in on a secret but no laughing eh !, i spent a while with selective colour trying to lose the red stars, even more time trying to sort that little blighter out mid centre right just to google NGC457 & find it's meant to be red :rolleyes: .

Any tips for processing stars as a mask / layer would be great from anyone please or point me to a tutorial that assumes i know nothing.

Looking forward to the next clear night as i have to grab Jup before it's too late, the people doing planetary at the moment are knocking out some stunning shots so far so i would love to add to those captures.

All the best & thank you so much for the encouraging comments.

Thank you Francis,

Like i said these little clusters are, for me anyway, not imaged enough, i appreciate they are quite 'boring' to some but i think they are beautiful & others need to be encouraged to do more of them, now i have the Atik i can't wait to try out M56,M13 etc on the C8, i'd like to get enough data to pick out the individual stars to a certain degree.

It's all fun & i love it.

It is Andy, i now have about 7 hours worth of data i think, some will be scapped because of tracking / dew but it's an on going project for the time being.

I commented on your Iris didn't i, love the detail you grabbed so it's sort of given me something to aim for.

I am having a little trouble with the surrounding dust to be honest, the dust i feel should be shown as browny / coppery colour, to me that sais to boost the red channel slightly but if i just do it as a stretch on R a lot of my stars are comming out red / magenta :mad: .

I need a fair few more subs i think mainly Lum though, the Ha filter also picks this target up which i may add as well, i will do a test stack of 5 x 300 sec subs & see what it produces then go from there, don't want to waste imaging time.

Cheer's Ian, i'll let you in on a secret but no laughing eh !, i spent a while with selective colour trying to lose the red stars, even more time trying to sort that little blighter out mid centre right just to google NGC457 & find it's meant to be red :rolleyes: .

Any tips for processing stars as a mask / layer would be great from anyone please or point me to a tutorial that assumes i know nothing.

Looking forward to the next clear night as i have to grab Jup before it's too late, the people doing planetary at the moment are knocking out some stunning shots so far so i would love to add to those captures.

All the best & thank you so much for the encouraging comments.

Hi Ewan have sent a pm giving  a tutorial link using pixel math which will really help you lift the dust it also helps to make some masks.

Hi Ewan have sent a pm giving  a tutorial link using pixel math which will really help you lift the dust it also helps to make some masks.

Just read it Andy cheer's mate, much needed & look forward to trying it out.

Ewan, have you tried Noel Carboni Astro Actions for PS?

And for this photo - have you tried reduce this color noise? and try to get rid of this green halo?

Pawel

For now i use Annies Actions but only a couple of them, i dont think it's so much of a green tinge as just slightly over stretched, looks ok on my monitor which is calibrated.

This is only 25 mins per channel which honestly is no data to speak of, i will grab 4-5 times that if / when i get chance.

More data should allow more manipulation.

A lovely open cluster and very well imaged!

Thanks Martin i tried my best with the limited info i had, as i setup at 5.30pm & went until 5.00am i needed something to capture while i waited for my initial target to be available.

There are some beautiful groups out there & i aim to do quite a few of them.

Very sorry Martyn i spelt your name wrong, i have never seen it spelt that way before i do apologise.

Very nice indeed :smiley:

Thanks Richard, i swapped the scopes last night & aligned my finder as best i could for now.

Archived