Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Geoptik kit now together but where is the clear skies !!!

Thought i would post some shot's of what i plan on trying widefeild with.

Geoptik adapter, Canon FD adapter, Vivitar 200mm F3.5 telephoto.

I managed to get the lens for £36.00 which i think is a bargain, looks almost un-used.

Testing the Viviatr                                                           

post-11075-0-86426200-1386893171_thumb.j

FD adapter for £11

post-11075-0-78749800-1386893173_thumb.j

A test shot using Artemis @ 0.1 sec F3.5

post-11075-0-59790300-1386893182_thumb.p

Hi Ewan im interested to see how this goes, ive been messing around with an old T threaded lens which would give me enough back-focus to fit my filter well but mounting it is an issue.

if yours goes well i think ill give up and do the same as you.

Look forward to seen your results

I have just bought the same kit also the same lense got the geoptik variable extension as thought it may be needed to achieve focus . Did you have any problem getting focus interested to know your views . I have the same atik 314l+ and am looking forward to finally imaging with it would be interested to see any pics images you have captured with this set up . Have you noticed that the centre of the geoptik adapter steamers to be threaded looks like it would take a filter would be interesting to try a Ha filter.

Hi Ewan im interested to see how this goes, ive been messing around with an old T threaded lens which would give me enough back-focus to fit my filter well but mounting it is an issue.

if yours goes well i think ill give up and do the same as you.

Look forward to seen your results

Hi Kyle,

i have tried all sorts & have learnt nothing is easy, you may find it's great having a fast lens but you may need to stop it down a little as i may with the f3.5 when i finally test it out.

I found the kit lenses to be a little sloppy on the focussing tbh as well, the focus ring on the Viv seems pretty firm & i can't see it slipping while imaging (fingers crossed eh)

I have just bought the same kit also the same lense got the geoptik variable extension as thought it may be needed to achieve focus . Did you have any problem getting focus interested to know your views . I have the same atik 314l+ and am looking forward to finally imaging with it would be interested to see any pics images you have captured with this set up . Have you noticed that the centre of the geoptik adapter steamers to be threaded looks like it would take a filter would be interesting to try a Ha filter.

Hi Skyrider,

The Geoptik does indeed have a filter holder inside which is why i bought mine, i intend trying NB with this setup, i am hoping just the Ha 7nm in it will produce some sharp mono images.

It took me 15 minutes to work out how to attach & Lock / unlock the FD adapter :rolleyes: as well.

Look forward to seeing your results Ewan :smiley:

Sara,

I hope you are outside imaging & not wasting that clear sky now ? :grin:

Hey can you post some more of your Obsy pictures if it's all finished now ? (got to be),  looks like you had fun building it but it's got to be of great benefit for what you do & produce. Those first steps looked a little too 'vertical' though :p Sara so glad you redone them. It looked very good at the end of the photo's though, well done.

You have gone through some kit havn't you :eek: on your astro journey, funny how things pan out though & then we still keep buying more gear.

I hope i can produce some shot's with this widefeild kit, at least something which i am happy to post here.

I am still waiting for the other Pentax 200mm F4 lens to turn up :huh:  & once tested i can then decide wether to hang onto both or get rid of one.

I hope you are outside imaging & not wasting that clear sky now ? :grin:

Hey can you post some more of your Obsy pictures if it's all finished now ? (got to be),  looks like you had fun building it but it's got to be of great benefit for what you do & produce. Those first steps looked a little too 'vertical' though :p Sara so glad you redone them. It looked very good at the end of the photo's though, well done.

You have gone through some kit havn't you :eek: on your astro journey, funny how things pan out though & then we still keep buying more gear .......

Sadly the skies are far from blue at the moment! I've got an obsy thread on SGL http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/118098-saras-observatory-in-spain/page-4 with finished pics at the end. The steps can still be a little scary in the dark, but hubby fitted a handrail while I was in the UK, so much safer now!!

My kit changes are minimal compared to some!!! ...... but yes, we still keep buying new gear!

Well the 2nd 200mm lens arrived earlier today & i have to say 1st impressions i prefer the Vivitar out of the two.

It just feels so much better in quality & above all the focus ring is the best i have encountered on a lens so far, not that i have many anyway.

Just done some indoor test shots on my 600D, the Viv at F3.5, SMC Pentax-M @ F4, both showed slight purple fringing wide open but the sharpness & adjustabilty of the Viv is a lot lot better, i think that will be the keeper & i may find a good home for the other one, i will keep you posted.

BTW there is no fringing on the pic above as i used the Atik & no filters for that shot.

I will post some lens shots of each if anyones interested.

Hi Ewan I to found it awkward to lock lens to geoptik but once I found that there was a locking ring it made sence.L ack of instructions I think , but Avery impressive metal spec supplied . As usual any new astro kit comes with bad weather have not tried atik 314 on set up yet as cables are in wire in loom and don't want to strip it out. I hope to try it out soon .

Hi Ewan I to found it awkward to lock lens to geoptik but once I found that there was a locking ring it made sence.L ack of instructions I think , but Avery impressive metal spec supplied . As usual any new astro kit comes with bad weather have not tried atik 314 on set up yet as cables are in wire in loom and don't want to strip it out. I hope to try it out soon .

I know what you mean about instructions for the Geoptik :grin: i should have watched The Kryton Factor more i guess.

As promised some shots of the lenses themselves, i hope i am not boring everyone to death but i love new toy's :evil:

Pentax on the right Viv on the left.

post-11075-0-89650000-1387230059_thumb.j

With shades extended & not much in it now.

post-11075-0-79333400-1387230067_thumb.j

The Viv is 62mm where as the Pentax is 50mm i think.

post-11075-0-41684000-1387230071_thumb.j

Got to admit the Pentax is well baffled, the focus ring is tighter than a Canon kit but looser than the Viv, about the same as my 100mm USM i felt.

Weight wise the Pentax is about 12 ounces against the mighty Viv at 20 ounces

As the Vivitar is 62mm & F3.5 i am hoping even stopped down it will be more than a match for the Pentax, time will tell.

the Pentax looks remarkably similar to a Paragon 200mm lens i have also 50mm

Depending on how they perform i may give the other one away to a deserving SGL member who's starting out, it's an expensive hobby & i know tight things can get.

I need this great UK weather to give us a break & show some clear skies for a change or i'm booking a ticket to Sara's gaff (if she dosn't mind :grin: )

Just to clarify my comment above :-

'Got to admit the Pentax is well baffled, the focus ring is tighter than a Canon kit but looser than the Viv, about the same as my 100mm USM i felt.

Weight wise the Pentax is about 12 ounces against the mighty Viv at 20 ounces'

That came out wrong, i meant the 100mm USM is about the same focus wise as the Vivitar & not as 'loose' as a Canon kit lens, i don't want to get people concerned that the 100mm USM Macro is not upto scratch as is most certainly is.

Rain & cloud all night, this is all my fault getting the new bits i am so sorry SGL members :eek:

Hi Ewan. That doesn't sound so good looks like I may have to look for a Pentax lenses as we'll. why is it that the clearest nights seam to be when I have other commitments .LOL.

I know what you mean, weather not good for a whle yet i think.

I have asked Gina, pretty good with ccd + lenses, on her opinion, just waiting for a reply.

I can focus the Pentax no problem but the vivitar's first bit of glass is quite deep into the housing & then you have the FD adapter to contend with let alone the Geoptik depth.

I have heard of people modding the lens mount & for 36 of your finest pounds i guess it could be worth it.

No loss really as i have a Pentax SMC 50mm F2 & 55mm F1.8 Super Takumar, they may be a little too widefield for hat i want to do so i am going to try the 100mm Macro as well.

At least with this bad weather you get to clean,sort & test your gear i guess.

Archived