Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1805 - I've Found Some Nebulosity

PhotoGav

Well, further to my earlier post wondering where the nebulosity was in The Heart Nebula, I had a re-process:

post-29321-0-82288700-1386538174_thumb.p

9 x 1200s with 15 x 1200s darks plus flats & bias calibration. Shot with an unmodded 60D.

I'm much happier with this version - it almost resembles the target. However, the noise in the image was absolutely attrocious and I had to repeatedly Carboni DeepSpaceNR it.

The buy button for an Atik is beckoning!

Really quite painful!

I use Nebulosity3 for stacking and use 'Offset Background Colour' & 'Auto Colour Balance' at the end of the process and it seems to yield acceptable results. Though I do find that the star size is smaller in the red channel, which gives halos around the stars that can go horribly green if not careful.

I believe the IDAS P2 LPS filter is meant to be less aggressive colour wise. I might give one a try and see how it compares. My other solution is an Atik 460EX...! I'm just trying to pluck up the courage to actually hit the buy button!!!

Thanks Steve. To be honest, I was amazed how much there was in the image after all. Then Anna went and posted that pic of M42 and it's got me thinking the dslr isn't so useless and that perhaps I should take small steps and learn to use what I have properly before upgrading.

That's today, no doubt tomorrow will bring different thoughts!

In the meantime, I just set everything up this evening, got astrotortilla running on the machine for the first time, set up guiding and.... the clouds rolled in. Humph!

I think a much wiser next investment would be an obsy of some sort - that way I can cut out the lugging in & out of equipment and the time it takes to set-up and break down...

Seemed to be a test of patience rather than anything else...! The guiding is working really really well though - the graphs were really flat.

All in all I'm very happy with the current set-up. The only issue has been the cls filter and star halos. I'm thinking of giving an IDAS filter a go and see if it is better. I'm also going to try long subs with no LPS filter - light pollution is not too bad where I am.

Other thing on my list is to attack my 60D and remove the filter..... Argh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9x50 as well - cool - the last time I tried >600s I got (ever so slightly) egg shaped stars. But I've come a long way reducing flex by tying up cables and reducing the cable load. As well, balance of the rig seems more important than I thought for my 130pds. Your advantage is to have the camera in the centre behind the scope as opposed to me on top and on the side...

I think it's essential to balance the scope in all three axes - RA, Dec & Vertical - for easy guiding. One thing is for sure, the advice I was given to go for the smaller 80ed was spot on and I think has made things a bit easier... So far!

Nice shot plenty of nebulosity there.I use to have a canon 450dslr and an astronomic cls filter and the blue tinge was a right PITA.

If I remember right I took a custom white balance which helped a lot, however some software programs don't let you use the custom white

balance I cant remember which ones though, but I think nebulosity did.

Archived