6 inch telescope -- what best for eyepieces

Charles Frank 6 inch telescope

I have just recoated the 6 inch mirror and 45 degree flat.

Now that the mirrors are as good as possible I am sure that the eyepieces are not as good as they might be. I have two eyepieces, both have a RAS screw into the standard Franks adjustable screw holder. One eyepiece is marked as   1/4 " Ramsden, the other is unmarked but gives a clear view at a lower magnification.

First step seems to get a RAS to 1.5 inch adaptor - so that modern eyepieces are usable ( is 1.25 a better option?) Beacon Hill has been suggested as supplier.

Then the harder part for me is what then (budget constraint).

Ebay has many apparently tempting offers.

Any comments on this item  at £44  ---  1.25” telescope zoom eyepiece, 10-30mm adjustable focal length

Or another on auction  --- One High Quality 1.25" FLAT 27mm Telescope Eyepiece

Or there a number of Plossl in various focal lengths - is this the better option?

As a separate observation, through all the topics and posts it is hard to find what I would describe as a agreed best common opinion or practice.

This could be broken into sub sections -- telescope design / size / mounting / eyepiece / photo / etc.

There is so much infomation given with good will but each person has only their own experience to  report.

What is the f number of the scope or focal length?

If the f number is f/6 but preferably f/7 or more then plossl's should be a reasonable choice.

The point to make note of is that the eye relief on plossl goes down with the focal length.

In general the eye relief is about 2/3 of the focal length. So if you wear glasses you may find that the lower end for plossls is not much use.

In the plossl range the Vixen plossls (£35) are reported as good, not sure of others as the others I have came with scopes at various times.

Like many I have the BST Skyguiders (£49) which work well and will handle f/5 scopes.

There are also BST Wide Angles (£43) eyepieces.

The BST's are from Skys the limit StL they also do a range of plossl's (£24).

So much depends on the scopes f number/focal length

In many areas of astronomy I doubt if you will find any agreement.  So much relates to personal experience, choice and preferences.  What suits one person won't suit another.  You have visual astronomers and astrophotographers, young and fit, old and decrepid, etc., etc.  You can, possibly, find some sort of agreement when you break it down into very specific areas, but I think a lot of these basics can be  found  in the pinned notices.  And as developments take place, particularly with regard to the scopes themselves, cameras, software, etc., opinions will change.  Then there are the manufacturers suppliers themselves.  Who were good or bad  5 or 10 years ago may change.  And to be perfectly honest, part of the fun of sifting through the posts in this forum is in discovering something new which a more structured one might discourage.

In many areas of astronomy I doubt if you will find any agreement.  So much relates to personal experience, choice and preferences.  What suits one person won't suit another.  You have visual astronomers and astrophotographers, young and fit, old and decrepid, etc., etc.  You can, possibly, find some sort of agreement when you break it down into very specific areas, but I think a lot of these basics can be  found  in the pinned notices.  And as developments take place, particularly with regard to the scopes themselves, cameras, software, etc., opinions will change.  Then there are the manufacturers suppliers themselves.  Who were good or bad  5 or 10 years ago may change.  And to be perfectly honest, part of the fun of sifting through the posts in this forum is in discovering something new which a more structured one might discourage.

............I believe and agree with  theoretical  and  mathematical limits,  as to what's achievable with telescopes, Its just that practical use overrides those limits, and by how much, is down to personal opinions. That's where the fun starts! 

"each person has only their own experience to  report"

These are the folks to listen to imho. Practical observing and imaging is subject to spec of the gear sure - but in the end it boils down to what you can actually do with actual equipment on the night. Look for the "been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt" experienced crowd and personal opinion won't sway you too far off the beaten track.

As a guide - a large post count accompanied by sensible content, interesting equipment in signatures, and stated years of experience are "usually" pretty indicative. Avoid the "rich boys" who've just blown £5k on the latest gear but so far only ever used it once in the field lol :)

1.25" is a standard EP size, so it would be necessary to get the right adapter to use these size eyepieces.

I think you would be better off getting a set of BST Explorer EDs (Now Starguider EDs), which are £49 each new, starting with the 25mm, 18mm and 8mm. You can add the others later :).

There is so much infomation given with good will but each person has only their own experience to  report.

How could it or why would it be wanted otherwise :smiley: ?

As Ronin suggests, let us know your budget, your focal ratio/length of the scope and we'll help you spend your hard earnt money with our subjective opinions :grin:

• 3 months later...

Hi Oldviewer

I know this is a few months old and my question is a little off topic, but I own a Charles Frank 6" and owners appear to be few and far between. Strangely, most of the owners seem to be based around Derbyshire (I'm from Chesterfield originally)! I'd love to chat with you about your scope, and share with you what I know about the history of these if you are interested - perhaps you could shed some light on the history of your scope also?

Please message me if you are interested to chat!

Thanks

Joe

Archived