Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First binoculars

Kirscovitch

Been thinking about getting some binos to go along with my scope. 

On nights like tonight with clear skies but extreme low temps I think they would work better than the scope. I wouldn't have drag everything outside and setup just to bring it all back in after an hour or so when I get cold.

Obviously I won't be able to see as much but just less of a hassle then the scope would be.

What kind of size should I look into? Was thinking about maybe either a pair of 10x50s or even 12x50. 

Or should I look at something more in the 15x70 range? I'm not really going to be using a tripod with it so I guess I'm leaning more towards the small ones.

Any input would be appreciated!

You'll create an avalanche of replies with this post!

Hi Kirscovitch.  Check out www.BinocularSky.com, v good and Steve Tonkin posts here regularly. 

10x50's are v popular for good reason, but bins are v personal things, so I recomend you try before you buy. A good shop or astro club will help.

I found a pair of high quality 8x42's with ED glass to be the bees knees. The pin sharp stars from the ED glass is a joy, and the wide 8x field of view limits star wobble and gives a good sense of where you are when planning star hops - bliss. At about 670g, they're easy to hand hold for long periods. I also love being out with the 15x70's +tripod. I find I actually do more binocular observing than scope observing at the moment. I'm thinking about getting a cheap pair of 10x50s for keeping in the car. Celestron G2 UpClose 10x50's look appealing for £30.

Whatever you decide - enjoy!

I'm assuming that a wider fov and good aperture are better than magnification? 

I'd like my bins to compliment my scope, but I'd also like them to be able to "stand alone" for a quick session. 

What could I expect from a pair of 12x50's? Would I be able to pick out M31? It would be nice to use it as kind of a secondary finderscope as well.

I have 9x63's and 18x50 image stabilised bino's. Both are fantastic. I prefer the extra magnification of the 18x50's, but would not like to be using them handheld without image stabilisation. I think, if you're wanting to predominantly grab them at a moments notice and view handheld, 10x50 is a nice option.

Good idea considering bino's to compliment your current scope, by the way. Took me ages to consider and I haven't put the things down since :)

I'm assuming that a wider fov and good aperture are better than magnification? 

I'd like my bins to compliment my scope, but I'd also like them to be able to "stand alone" for a quick session. 

What could I expect from a pair of 12x50's? Would I be able to pick out M31? It would be nice to use it as kind of a secondary finderscope as well.

Hi.

You would see M31 in 12x50 binoculars. I can pick it out with my Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 quite easy . I also find my 10x50 just right for a quick scan to see where objects are and just enjoying them looking around the sky. Can normally pick out a fair bit with them.

I also have some Helios Apollo High Resolution 15x70 and you could hold them by hand but not for to long before needing a rest and trying again but if you got any thing like them then my advice would be some sort of tripod or monopod but the 15x70 are very good and you can see so much more.

Hi, I know that the vast majority of us can only afford what we can afford money wise. But whether you go for 8x42s, 10x50s, 15x70s or whatever get the best optics you can realistically afford - especially if they are substituting to some extent for the SLT. I bought some better quality 10x50s recently and I can see more resolved detai through them than I ever could with my cheaper 12x60s. They are also much nicer and easier to use. Smaller 8x42/10x42s are easily hand holdable but I wouldn' t be put off heavier binos - as Jason comments a simple ultraportable monopod can stabilise things very nicely.

Though binos cannot compete with the big aperture higher power views that a scope can give, (mind you 25x100s?) binos have their own distinctive advantages - and certainly being able to be sat out under the stars in under a couple of  minutes, with no other kit to take out, is quite liberating in a way!

There are lots opinions and reviews of binos on the forum - a bit of search/research should get clued up fairly quickly. Good luck with it.

Archived