Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First telescope

Hi all, I am an absolute beginner with astronomy, but after years of being interested in the stars and planets, Ive come to a point in my life where I want to take the plunge and buy my first telescope. I've spent the last few days researching and think I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher 150P. I want to start with just observing to familiarise myself with the night sky, but am interested in doing some imaging at a later date. I am looking at the EQ3-2 mount with possibly adding a motor drive at a later date.

Do you think this is a good place to start in terms of portability, stability, magnification etc... I dont want to get out there and find tiny images of the planets and wish I'd spent extra money on a 200P

Also, what lenses should I be looking at to maximise magnification?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in imaging than the first thing you will have to consider is your choice of EQ3-2.

I know that there are some guys who actually manage to do it, but for majority (myself included) EQ3 is barely stable enough for visual observing when used with 150p.

By the time you add few accessories like 2" eyepieces, RACI finderscope, Telrad, etc, etc  :grin:  you will be overloading poor EQ3.

You will start by adding sand to the aluminium tripod to stabilise it (debatable improvement), followed by stripping down and rebuild of the actual mount (search here for actual description of this project) and you will wish you have spent money on something else.

150p is easily portable and good scope to start with - you should read Qualia's thread  What Can I Expect to See?  to get an idea what you will see.

Hope this gets you started?

Hi all, I am an absolute beginner with astronomy, but after years of being interested in the stars and planets, Ive come to a point in my life where I want to take the plunge and buy my first telescope. I've spent the last few days researching and think I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher 150P. I want to start with just observing to familiarise myself with the night sky, but am interested in doing some imaging at a later date. I am looking at the EQ3-2 mount with possibly adding a motor drive at a later date.

Do you think this is a good place to start in terms of portability, stability, magnification etc... I dont want to get out there and find tiny images of the planets and wish I'd spent extra money on a 200P

Also, what lenses should I be looking at to maximise magnification?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Depends on how later you want to make the change. For observations only, I highly recommend a Dobsonian mounted 150P or above( I have the 200P) There is absolutely no  messing around with EQ mounts, and having an "inverted" focuser and twisted neck to see that Star? Dobsonian for observation, Bigger aperture, better results ( as always, under the right conditions) I don't have one yet, but the recommendation  for astrophotography is to get the book "Every photon Counts" That will put you on the best track for photography.

...I highly recommend a Dobsonian...There is absolutely no  messing around with EQ mounts, and having an "inverted" focuser and twisted neck to see that Star...

Proponents of Dobsonians are sometimes given to a bit of exaggeration :grin: when it comes to supporting the virtues of this particular method of mounting ...

There is a lot to be said for simplicity and comparative cheapness of Dobsonian.

I like using GEM and don't seem to have problems suggested above ... :tongue:

Proponents of Dobsonians are sometimes given to a bit of exaggeration :grin: when it comes to supporting the virtues of this particular method of mounting ...

There is a lot to be said for simplicity and comparative cheapness of Dobsonian.

I like using GEM and don't seem to have problems suggested above ... :tongue:

:laugh:  bambuko, it may sound one-sided, but I've got a GEM (no motor fitted) and under the right conditions for  photography,  video,  ect  I don't think there is a better solution. However for just visual observation, I don't see the need for a EQ mount. The Dobsonian is just put it where you want it.  The GEM, has to be set-up, every-time,  was easy enough to use, but  there was just too much to use!  Constant fiddling with lock screws, and rotation of the OTA during my sessions , to keep EP in a suitable position!   I have both, prefer the Dob!           

"I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher 150P. I want to start with just observing to familiarise myself with the night sky, but am interested in doing some imaging at a later date. I am looking at the EQ3-2 mount with possibly adding a motor drive at a later date."

Great a approach imho :)

My only comment on the EQ3-2 is that it's not as solid as an EQ5 (or CG5) and as such is subject to a few vibrations which have to settle before observing (takes 5-10 secs or so). Also when tracking with slow mo knobs it does vibrate - especially when you release the control (to view) and the cable has to dampen it's shaking. I found mine a little frustrating in this respect.

An EQ5 or CG5 would be a better mount to go for with a 150P and gives the option of using a 200P should you want to do that. If you want to do imaging in the future - good beginner results can be had on EQ5 or CG5 with either ota and an RA motor.

A 200P on CG5 is the better combination of the two - the larger diameter of the ota takes you that bit deeper into space - and the mount has bigger legs (2" dia) and better bearings and all round is more solid and stable (which is important when you start imaging). :)

The 200p is quite a big heavy scope. I have just sold mine and replaced it with a 150pds and a small apo refractor just because of size and mounting. The 150pds is a really good scope that I would recommend. I plan on investing in a large dob in the very near future for visual. If you are wanting an eq mounted scope for imaging I would opt for something smaller than the 200p. Then save for a 300p dob for visual maybe :)

a 200p OTA isnt that heavy and its quite manageable. EQ5 mount is quite heavy and difficult to handle due to it's awkward shape. Unless you dismantle it every time. It also weighs quiet a lot and it has 10Kg of counter weights. It is a  good and relatively stable mount but weight and handlingwise i would probably go for a dob. The bad thing is that in a dob you usually have to pay for goto to get tracking, with EQ5 you can easily track by hand even with rudimentary polar alignment. Single tracking motor for EQ5 costs maybe 40 euros? i think i paid 80 for my dual motor setup. It also has a spirit level so rudimentary polar alignment means "point the N-leg to north, make sure bubble is on top" 

"The 200p is quite a big heavy scope". Maybe I'm different but at 51 I can squat that thing up and walk it 50 yrds. or so without difficulty, or take it down in two parts and go further. Either way an 8" has nearly double the light gathering ability of a 6", and to me that makes all the sense in the world. Again, simplicity and aperture is key IMO.

Archived