NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M45 with astrotrac

stan26

1hr and 15minutes data total, but this time and for the first time ever I imaged using my 200L lens "wide open" at f2.8. In the past I have always stopped it down to around f4.....I'm now realising that stopping it down in the past could have been costly in terms of photons.....

Modded Canon 1100D, ISO800, 5minute subs,  Canon 200L f2.8 (@f2.8), Hutech IDAS P2 MFA filter, Astrotrac TT320 bolted onto DIY wedge.

Stan :smiley:

Hope the pic loads...? (new flickr is confusing) :confused:

11227126593_1616263267_o.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Tim - There was no dew present throughout the session, I think the halo's are a result of the IDAS filter. Its the rear mounted MFA version and I think I maybe getting some internal reflection off the brighter stars. When I minimised the stars I could have greatly reduced the halo's but I didn't think they were to distracting so I left them in the image. 

Cheers

Stan.

Cheers QM, Yes the astrotrac is a wonderfully simplistic bit of kit, I just need to tweak my wedge alignment for these long exsposures, theres still a bit of trailing in there. Periodic error is almost non existent at telephoto FL's upto 400mm. With the wedge bolted onto my old EQ pier I reckon I can be setup an imaging in around 2minutes!  

Cheers

Stan :smiley:

Nice one Stan, some great detail there and nicely processed.

I always shoot wide open, unless it is a particularly bad lens and the Canon 200mm f/2.8 can handle it. As you say, no point spending all that money on a wide sharp lens to just stop it down.

Recently I took a few subs of M45 with and without an Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter, both had halos around bright stars. I also took a few frames using my unmodified Canon 7D and there were no halos. I suspect it is either UV or IR bloat and am now suspecting that the "front" filter on its own isn't quite cutting it (pun intended).

Archived