First thoughts on MaxVision 20mm 68 deg

The packet arrived just before the gale, but when I got home it was raining outside, so I had to make do with looking through the windows with the 80mm scope and comparing it to the 24mm. Build quality is great, and the view looks very similar to that of the 24mm. If I rest my glasses against the rubbery rear of the EP I can see the entire FOV. It might even be suitable for binoviewing. It should give me a handy extra magnification on the sun with the LS35, where the 24mm is a bit low, and the jump to the 12mm Nagler is a bit big. What I like is that it is nearly parfocal with the 24. Optically I could spot no differences between the two in this simple test.

What I will also do is use the 20mm in the LS35, and the 24mm in the 80mm with Herschel wedge to have exactly the same magnification in white light and H-alpha. The 10mm XW and 12T4 could do the same, but the difference in FOV ruins the effect a bit. Apart from duties in the solar set-up, and lightweight travel kit, I think it will be handy for star parties, where I do not want always want to use the most expensive glass.

A mm more eye relief would have been nice, but on the whole I am happy with this new piece of kit.

Glad it worked out in terms of the eye relief :smiley: . When I bought mine I had not considered thinking it would be that close, since the eye relief  is actually quoted as being slightly longer than my BSTs, yet I find the BST easier in that regard, In wonder is it in part because I need to take in 68 degrees as well, versus the 60 degrees of the BST.

Glad it worked out in terms of the eye relief :smiley: . When I bought mine I had not considered thinking it would be that close, since the eye relief  is actually quoted as being slightly longer than my BSTs, yet I find the BST easier in that regard, In wonder is it in part because I need to take in 68 degrees as well, versus the 60 degrees of the BST.

Eye relief is the distance the eye needs to be from the top surface of the center of the eye lens of the eyepiece in order to be able to take in the whole apparent field that the eye piece delivers. 

Sometimes how the eye relief actually feels in practice can differ from the expectation that the quoted figure creates though. Often this is due to the upper surface of the eye lens of the eyepiece being concave and / or recessed into the top of the eyepiece. As claimed eye relief is quoted from the center of the eye lens, a concave, recessed eye lens can really reduce the amount of practical eye relief actually available, ie: the distance between the observers eye and the physical eyepiece top. 

I've always found the body shape of the Meade 5000's, Maxvision's etc intriguing. I wonder why they went for that shape rather than a slimmer, more conical topped design ?.

They certainly look distinctive, which might answer my own question I guess :smiley:

It is a curious design. I do not mind it too much, but I cannot say I take to it. TV's more conservative design is a bit more practical, I think

I tend to agree. Explore Scientific seem to have gone down the TV route generally, despite their links to Meade. 

For the price of the MV's though their shape seems a pretty small compromise to accept in return for very good performance per £ spent  :smiley:

I think they really look the part and when I got mine I felt like I had a bit of quality in my hand, lovely finish. That said, If I were to be critical I would say it is not the best design. I find it to be useable, but the flat wide top is not helping, even with glasses off. The BSTs I have, or incoming pentax seems a much better design to me, where the eyepiece tapers in towards the top, or the TV design or ES, not that I have used one of those, but it seems better to me as well if you want to get your eye closer.  With glasses off it is very easy to use anyway, but it is as if the sharper edges run against your face bit.

In the scheme of things this all a minor of course when the views just work through this eyepiece so nicely for me   :smiley:

Looks interesting Michael. I assume you purchased the EP from a company in Europe? However, does any know if they are available in the UK. I assume they are 1.25" fitting so might be ok for my 80mm finderscope.

I got them from Germany, but I do not know what they charge for shipping to the UK. For finder scope duties, the Antares 25mm 70 deg might be handier, as it is fairly cheap, and it is much easier to attach cross-hairs.

Looks interesting Michael. I assume you purchased the EP from a company in Europe? However, does any know if they are available in the UK. I assume they are 1.25" fitting so might be ok for my 80mm finderscope.

Mark, I got mine from here,  http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/ very quick service, 3 - 4 days, they are just a portal for explore scientific and handle the posting from Germany. The postal charges are mentioned there, I think it was ~ 8 euro  Postage or for the 20mm IIRC, it will depend on the weight of the eyepiece too. 

I ended up paying a bit less when I checked my statement compared to what their web page calculated on the day, probably depending on exchange rates I guess. It was 58 pounds or thereabouts  If I recall for the 20mm P&P inclusive, bargain eyepiece  :D

Michael,

Many congratulations on the new eyepiece, now I know who caused the storms I was reading about.

I too never really thought that there was big enough gaps between the 6 eyepieces in this range, 28mm,24mm, 20mm, it is a bit bunched but I still had the lot. I think you would find the 16mm tight though, the member I sold it too only kept mine a few days, it was too tight for him and he didn't wear glasses.

Alan.

Archived