Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nebula Targets and Filters

Andy-T

I was hoping to get some advice on filters that would hopefully improve the view of Nebula.

Having recently found the Orion Nebula i am hoping to locate more, it looked fantastic. I understand that getting to a dark site is the most important.

Would a UHC filter or O-III filter be best? I guess it depends on the targets involved. So what would you recommend a newbie to target and what filter if any would you recommend?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

This gives you an idea on filters for what.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1520

You might find lumicon's filter guide useful as well. http://www.lumicon.com/pdf/3filterspec_prnt.pdf

I would suggest a UHC filter it's more of an all round filter. An Oiii basically cuts out a bit more light which makes it better on some nebula, such as the veil. When I was looking I found it useful to look at the graphs which showed the light band paths and it helped me to understand which ones do what.

However the Orion Nebula is the creme de la creme, I haven't seen anything else that's so impressive so don't expect to see other nebula to the same degree. Maybe its possible in much larger scopes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Scooot

That is a really interesting piece, i will be sure to read up before deciding which way to go although the UHC seems the best bet at the minute.

I am going to a dark site tonight - Dolby Forrest for the public stargazing held by Scarborough and Ryedale Astronomical Society. I will hopefully be able to twist a few more ears from those with such filters.

Thanks again.

Also, for what it's worth, some UHC filters let more light pass than others. I use a Baader UHC-s which is supposed to be less aggressive, which lets more light through (for smaller scopes). I can't say I've compared it with any others, but it has pleased me in the 5".

I would say that the original comment about darkness being important is true, and when I've been out in proper darkness the filter has had less of an impact. For example, in town the UHC filter could be the difference between making out the Veil, or not seeing it. In the country, it made it marginally better.

Other nebulae - the Ring Nebula might still go if you were out early, that's a good one. I'm still new at this, but I've been lucky to get some lovely views of the Veil, and North America nebulae; they were actually pretty easy, but in very dark skies. (I struggled to navigate; too many stars)

Or come summer time, stay up late and have a look around Sagittarius - the Lagoon and Swan nebulae are lovely, and there are the Triffid and Eagle nebulae too (though I've found them harder to see)

Only filter I use is Lumicon UHC, and I only use it on emission nebulae (because it won't work on anything else). I've seen the Horsehead with it, along with scores of other nebulae. Dark sky is absolutely the most important thing, but one decent filter in the eyepiece case is definitely worth having. More than one if you feel like spending money, but not really necessary.

I've used a lumicon uhc on the veil nebula from a middle of town location and it was obvious with the filter , invisible without. So it worked great . However I didn't find the view of the Orion Nebula any better .

Choosing filters is difficult. Everyone seems to have a different experience eg. my lumicon uhc generally improves the Orion Nebula. Lumicon themselves say that their UHC filter is best suited for 8+" of apperture, i only have 4". I use my OIII slightly more often than my UHC but my UHC does sometimes show a trace of the California Nebula where my OIII shows nothing. The best single filter is I think a UHC which allows the transmission of the two OIII lines and the H beta line.

Archived