Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Sky Panorama 15mm 82-deg

emadmoussa

I've had this eyepiece for months. It's pretty good and the field of view is very nice. However, am I the only one to think it suffers from noticeable trailing around the outer 20-30% FOV? I can see that in all my scopes..so it's not a matter of collimation or optics issues.

Actually I have to say that while I know eyepieces are for looking through, not at, but I really don't like the styling of the new SW eyepieces. The sky panoramas nor the new 70° SWA. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think they just look ugly. By contrast Pentax, TV, ES, the new Japanese Orthos all look like great bits of engineering/design; attractive and functional.

Actually I have to say that while I know eyepieces are for looking through, not at, but I really don't like the styling of the new SW eyepieces. The sky panoramas nor the new 70° SWA. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think they just look ugly. By contrast Pentax, TV, ES, the new Japanese Orthos all look like great bits of engineering/design; attractive and functional.

I've got the 3.5mm SWA and it's pretty good actually. I still find the Hyperions a great value for money...I rarely see any astigmatism in them in any of my scopes.

I mainly use Pentax XW and Explore Scientific 68° eyepieces, but I also have Televue Plossls, Meade UWA and Vixen LV.

I see. Yep, ES are great eyepieces. I've got the 24mm one and it's sharp edge to edge. Will buy the 9mm 100-deg in few weeks...fingers crossed.

It's a bit disappointing that the Sky Panorama's show that much astigmatism.  The Skywatcher Nirvana's are only a little more expensive but well corrected even in fast scopes - very close to Nagler levels. The Panaviews, Nirvana's and the Aero ED's are pretty nice Skywatcher eyepieces. Their others don't seem so impressive.

I have to say the views in this eyepiece are very bright and contrasty. However last time I used it extensively in my 10" Dob I started to get a bit irritated by this level of astigmatism. Well...I guess it'll be a good companion of my fracs from now on.

• 10 months later...

Wonder how the 15mm Panorama will perform in my 8" Edge. It's in the mail now, and I'm waiting for clear skies. Probably a good thing I haven't tried an Ethos, so I will probably be satisfied I guess. I kind of like the looks of it too.

Wonder how the 15mm Panorama will perform in my 8" Edge. It's in the mail now, and I'm waiting for clear skies. Probably a good thing I haven't tried an Ethos, so I will probably be satisfied I guess. I kind of like the looks of it too.

The Edge is F/10 isn't it ?. Most eyepieces work very well in F/10 scopes. It's when you get below around F/7 that things get more challenging.

I got the 15mm Panorama today. Like it already due to it's good looks and solid weight and feel. Can't wait till the skies clear!

For comparison i took a photo of it toghether with a coffe mug and a 17mm Plössl eyepiece. The Panorama is in the middle...
med_gallery_39770_3456_53273.jpg

I got the 15mm Panorama today. Like it already due to it's good looks and solid weight and feel. Can't wait till the skies clear!

For comparison i took a photo of it toghether with a coffe mug and a 17mm Plössl eyepiece. The Panorama is in the middle...

med_gallery_39770_3456_53273.jpg

Wow, looks nice!

Archived