Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about convenient mount for a Grab 'n' Go setup....

dkbender

I've been looking at high portability mounts for my Orion SVP ED100mm.   I have a Celestron AVX mount but want something more portable for those moments I want to quickly setup and take a quick look at something.   The scope has a 8" Vixen style dovetail bolted on, so I would like to leave that in place and have the new mount compatible.   with dovetail, finder, EP and 2" diagonal.... total weight is about 10 lbs or just a bit over 4kgs.

I've been looking at the Vixen Porta II and the SW AZ4.   Manual controls are fine and slow motion controls that allow smooth manual tracking, that would work fine.

From my photography equipment, I have a good tripod.  Its the Induro 8M alloy AT413, rated for 44 lbs.   I normally keep a 50mm ball head on it, but I could easily remove that.   Here's the link to the details on the Induro tripod I already own.    So, I guess I just need the mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html'>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html

What other options am I missing?   What would you suggest?

TIA

here is the scope I want to use, but on the AVX mount.... 

DSC_7862_02_zpsc691a5c6.jpg

What is/was the Sky Tee. WO had a variant called EZ Touch.

Think the two names aboce ceased but that someone else now makes what is the same - just not a clue what the name is. Someone willknow, just not me.

Your idea of the Vixen Porta Mount is good as I believe you can get motors for it if required.

Edited by ronin

I used my Vixen 100ED with great success on a William Optics EZTouch with the surveyor's tripod. They do show up for sale from time to time. After selling my 100 I acquired the Vixen Porta II with their HAL130 tripod, which would probably be a good match for your scope. Neither of these mounts will attach directly to the tripod you indicate, however, without fabricating some type of adapter.

I have not used the AZ4, which seems to me would not be stable enough for a 100 f/9. Their HDAZ, similar to the EZTouch, would be a better match, in my view. I have no knowledge of the SW mount/tripod interface.

Good luck.

I used my Vixen 100ED with great success on a William Optics EZTouch with the surveyor's tripod. They do show up for sale from time to time. After selling my 100 I acquired the Vixen Porta II with their HAL130 tripod, which would probably be a good match for your scope. Neither of these mounts will attach directly to the tripod you indicate, however, without fabricating some type of adapter.

I have not used the AZ4, which seems to me would not be stable enough for a 100 f/9. Their HDAZ, similar to the EZTouch, would be a better match, in my view. I have no knowledge of the SW mount/tripod interface.

Good luck.

thanks for the info!   to use a Porta II and my good camera tripod, would I need this adapter in this link from Vixen?   http://www.vixenoptics.com/acc/indiv/38011.html'>http://www.vixenoptics.com/acc/indiv/38011.html

Whoops, clicked post too soon...The Vixen adapter has a 1/4-20 threading, which will attach to any standard camera tripod head where one would normally place a camera. I suspect the center-column of the tripod you're contemplating has a 3/8-16 stud for attaching a photo-visual head. You can drill out and tap the Vixen adapter for this threading or get one of these: http://www.manfrotto.us/adapter-for-tripods-3-8-to-1-4

ahhhhh...!!!   thanks David!   The Induro tripod I have is a really solid piece and I just don't think I need another tripod, except if I wanted to use the camera and scope at the same time.   But I have a workaround for that, I can piggyback the DSLR to the scope.

I'm just looking for a solid, quality grab-n-go setup for the times I don't want to fuss with the AVX mount.    Looks like a Porta II mount head and a camera tripod adapter will work.

Anyone have experience with the Porta II that they would like to share before I commit to purchase?

This is a new model from him and I wonder if there are many out there being evaluated, just now. 

I noticed on AstroMart that he has an Ad in the Alt-Az Mount section for this model,   At $375 usd, it is pricey relative to other options but it is fully machined, i.e. no castings.

The AZ4 is much more substantial and more stable than the Vixen Porta II, as long as you get the version with steel legs. The legs are 1.75" diameter, and the whole thing is pretty stable. I use one as grab and go with a Skywatcher 120/1000 on it. That's at it's limits, but still perfectly useable up to abou 150X. Mine has an extension peir which both adds mass and brings the scope up to a useable height.

I spoke with Charles at Half Hitch today.    Based on that conversation, I felt that the Free Turn Q is going to work nicely for my application and ordered it.

Thanks to all here that helped in this process.

I don't think you will go wrong here. I have one of Charles mounts, a Half / Hitch Mark II, and it is one of my most cherished possessions. The quality, workmanship, and attention to detail in his products are superb to say the least. 

• 6 years later...
On 03/12/2013 at 12:20, Nakedgun said:

Whoops, clicked post too soon...The Vixen adapter has a 1/4-20 threading, which will attach to any standard camera tripod head where one would normally place a camera. I suspect the center-column of the tripod you're contemplating has a 3/8-16 stud for attaching a photo-visual head. You can drill out and tap the Vixen adapter for this threading or get one of these: http://www.manfrotto.us/adapter-for-tripods-3-8-to-1-4

I bought the Vixen adapter not realising the mismatch and ended up drilling and tapping the hole to 3/8"-16 UNC to match the stud on my new Manfrotto 055. 

I wonder why Vixen chose a 1/4"-20 hole when the mount would clearly be screwed directly to a medium to heavy duty photo tripod?! Seems odd to me!

5 hours ago, robbymain said:

I bought the Vixen adapter not realising the mismatch and ended up drilling and tapping the hole to 3/8"-16 UNC to match the stud on my new Manfrotto 055. 

I wonder why Vixen chose a 1/4"-20 hole when the mount would clearly be screwed directly to a medium to heavy duty photo tripod?! Seems odd to me!

Does seem odd.