Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST - first light

YKSE

It's known to me that the Sun doesn't go much higher in winder here in 57 degree latidude, but I had no exact idea how low it really goes. It turned out to be mucher lower than Sirius, only to about -20 degree, just a couple of degree above my highest observing spot in backyard :sad:

Mounted on a flimsy photo tripod, I got some minutes with the PST. The internal spotting device is well aligned with the scope, make it easier to find the target. Something inside the scope seems though to put restriction to the FOV, because eye placement should be quite central to see the Sun. 20mm Maxvision was in the focuser, a red Sun without flare can be seen, not much details. light clouds in the area, low in the sky and wobbly tripod are some of reasons, I think.

A more proper first light will be due in about two months time when the Sun starts climbing higher :smiley:

Welcome to newbie solar land - I've had a second hand a Solarmax 40 for a month or so and love it!

You've probably got a 5mm block filter which is why the viewing position is tight but you get used to it. The sun being so low will make things difficult but persevere and I promise it'll be worth it!

As long as the eyepieces are well coated (so they're not internally reflective) they don't have to be anything special as you're only veiwing a narrow bandwidth. The 25mm Cemax I got with mine is fairly good, I quite like the 12mm Starguider (BST Explorer) and I find a couple of cheap Telescope Service 68 degree eyepieces ok - I can use a 9mm but my other half hates it so personal taste and vision will come into it!

AndyG

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoy your new PST - they are great fun and perhaps my most used scope. Mine is permanently mounted on a photo tripod ready for action. I cheat by observing through double glazing from indoors ! It works fine if the PST doesn't aim at an acute angle through the glass. You're only 6degs north of me so no excuses - get observing :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Please keep us informed as of developments Yong :laugh:

The weather has been terrible for weeks, both day and night, I've made a mounting bracket for PST or Binos on AZ4, with help of a friend actually, here's some pics:

1. Bracket with mounting and dieting holes

post-30887-0-71042800-1389349134_thumb.j

2. Bracket on AZ4

post-30887-0-31996300-1389349224_thumb.j

3. PST mounted

post-30887-0-55474200-1389349265_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

A sunny day in March when the sun is much higher than in December!

Some minutes fiddling to get the Sun in the middle of spotting glass, had a look in the EP, nothing. Changed to Mark III zoom in 24mm, still nothing after focusing all the way in and out. Just before panik was breaking out, it came up to me that the lens cap was on!

Now getting the solar edge in focus, adjusting the tuning ring somewhat, there comes a s-shaped plage,  then another R-shaped plage coming and going all the time, also some prominences. Zooming in and out, I found around 12mm was best since still low.

Coming back to the scope after 2 hours, there were much more going on, the R plage was still there, while the s had changed to some more complex shape, and there came another plage on the other side of solar disk, also some filaments here and there, zooming in to 8mm gave best view.

This PST is going to be used a lot in the coming months :smiley:

Glad to hear you got a little session in, Yong. I think this year will be quite spectacular sun-wise, so hopefully you'll have time for plenty more. In the end, I guess it'll turn out to be your used scope :grin:

Archived