Comet Lovejoy

Hello all ...

Real shame about ISON. Anyway, imaged not long before dawn on the 1st December. My take on this comet.

C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy)

T: William Optics ZS66SD + 0.8x reducer
C: QHY IMG2Pro
F: Astronomik RGB
M: NEQ6Pro + EQMod
G: SX Lodestar + SX OAG
AF: Sharpsky Pro
Capture: Sequence Generator Pro
Guiding: Astroart 5
Process: Pixinsight + CS2

All channels: 15 x 60 secs 1x1 

komet_lovejoy011213.jpg

That's a really great capture.

I have thought of capturing comets using my CCD with separate RGB filters, but that would have the downside, as your pic demonstrates, of having the stars shown in multicolours due to the comet's movement. For that reason I usually use a DSLR or CCD in mono. How do you image a moving object with RGB filters, and still have the stars in their natural colours too? I've seen it done, but no idea how.

That's a really great capture.

I have thought of capturing comets using my CCD with separate RGB filters, but that would have the downside, as your pic demonstrates, of having the stars shown in multicolours due to the comet's movement. For that reason I usually use a DSLR or CCD in mono. How do you image a moving object with RGB filters, and still have the stars in their natural colours too? I've seen it done, but no idea how.

Could be totally wrong here but im guessing its done by blending multiple exposures. I.e they expose for the comet and then separately for the stars, process both separately and then blend together in PS or similar. Be tough though as i would imagine blending the comets tail in would be tricky, but doable. 

Archived