Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NIKON D750

robbie c

Hi can anyone tell me anything about this camera as I cant find out much about it online, there is one coming up at a Auction and I am just  wondering if it would be any good for AP work if I got it for the right price.I have just  got a new Canon 1100d and don't want to mode it for AP work as I want to use it for everyday use.

Thanks Robbie  

If you mean D700, then it will be fairly good for use in astrophotography for an unmodded DSLR. It has extremely low noise at high iso & is full frame. It will also be an awesome body for normal daytime work. Spend 20 quid on an intervalometer on eBay & you are sorted. Unfortunately I don't think digicamcontrol will work in bulb mode for this camera.

If you want to maybe mod a DSLR in the future for astro use, then buy a cheap canon, but the high iso noise performance will not be anyway near as good as a d700. Not a problem if you are taking darks as well & the canons are arguably much better sorted software wise.

There are pros & cons with any camera system & at the end of the day its your money to spend as you see fit.

If you mean D700, then it will be fairly good for use in astrophotography for an unmodded DSLR. It has extremely low noise at high iso & is full frame. It will also be an awesome body for normal daytime work. Spend 20 quid on an intervalometer on eBay & you are sorted. Unfortunately I don't think digicamcontrol will work in bulb mode for this camera.

If you want to maybe mod a DSLR in the future for astro use, then buy a cheap canon, but the high iso noise performance will not be anyway near as good as a d700. Not a problem if you are taking darks as well & the canons are arguably much better sorted software wise.

There are pros & cons with any camera system & at the end of the day its your money to spend as you see fit.

Thanks for the input Rob I'm going down to the Auction Room next week to try and find out what model it is and what condition its in  

I currently own a D700.   It is a fabulous camera body with an FX, full frame sensor.   Its light sensitivity for low light work is really good in its regular use as a photography camera.   I have not tried to use it for AP, so I cannot comment on that... but it is a great camera.

I also have the Nikon D7000 body,  which has the Sony IMX071 sensor, which is highly thought of in AP circles.   I have accumulated the necessary software, T-adapter and cables to control it remotely from a pc.   I have not yet purchased a good enough mount (AP900 or 1100, SB, or other equals), nor an autoguider.  

• 5 weeks later...

I also wondered what a D750 is it must be a D700?

For comparison sensors between different types of cameras and brands look at http://sensorgen.info/ I think a high QE and a low noise is important for AP.

I also have heard that Canon is the best camera for every type of imaging especially astrophotagraphy (AP) but I do not agree, why is the best Canon at the 24 place in this sensor performance top list? A Canon with a Sony sensor would be awesome :)

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings

The Nikon will knock spots off the Canons. The D700 (if that's what it is) is awsome for AP enven unmodified. Noise is minimal colours are rich

Canon have the advantage of control ability for exposures abve 30s using EOS utilities (+ others) free. Nikon's need a DSUB adapter for direct computer link or a programmable timer (ebay 20 ish pGBP) for exposures longer than 30s.

The following models of Nikon is do not have the 30 second tether limit, D800, D4, D600, D7100. I have a D600 and only use the USB cable to control 3-5 minutes without any problem. The older Nikon cameras is easy to built a bulb cable to, like the D80 and so on.

A free very good tether software for Nikon (and also Canon) is http://digicamcontrol.com/

Archived