Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1156 in Aries - Lovely local galaxy..

mdstuart

Found three more galaxies tonight but the best by far was NGC 1156 in Aries.

Lovely low surface brightness glow next to a mag 13 field star.

Seems to be a local galaxy 16 million light years away and is similar to the Magellanic galaxies of our milky way system.

Here is a Hubble pic of it....

post-1454-0-57609800-1385246766_thumb.jp

Its mag 11 but its surface brightness is mag 14 and this is the challenge.

I could not see its companion the "dark galaxy" that they found nearby!

Very nice..

Mark

Is this from home (LM 5.5) Mark and was this out of reach of your old 10"?

I'm finding that now I've started on a slightly more advanced list than the Messiers the objects are slightly harder to spot but like this galaxy a little more quirky and fun. :)

Nick

Yes Cetus is a good area, lots of galaxies...Like the log book.

I put my observations in to access and then I can run reports like this. Its all the galaxies I have observed from the brightest to the faintest..

Seen galaxies.pdf

Mike - yes its from home 5.5 mag sky..with the 14 inch..

I know...... I am fouling up my records of galaxies you can see with a 10 inch scope by getting the 14 inch.... but I do keep a note of which scope was used so I will have to update my report to highlight the 14 inch observations.

Mark

Thanks for sharing the 'Seen Galaxies' file. A 32 page list is testament to some dedicated Astronomy!

I have seen mag. 11 galaxies and also those with a s.br of 14 but I think the combination (NGC 1156) is beyond my 127mm refractor. One for future years when I convince my wife that a 12" dobsonian is the way forward.

Still, I am more than happy with my galaxy haul of 166 with my fairly modest equipment.

I observed NGC 1156 with my 8" dob at a dark site on a very cold and blustery night in November 2007. My notes say:

"Moderately bright, fairly even surface brightness but gradually brighter to centre, no nucleus. Elongated north-south, just east of 3 similarly aligned stars. Galaxy has star on northern tip."

Looking at the image I can see the star, though my estimate of orientation was a bit out, as the galaxy is really extended NNE-SSW. Perhaps the star influenced my perception of the galaxy as a whole (that kind of thing can happen a lot). Steve Gottlieb's description at the NGC/IC Project (also using an 8") has "faint, diffuse, slightly elongated SSW-NNE. A mag 12.5 star is just NW of the NE flank". However my perception of north-south agrees with the NGC description: "pretty bright, considerably large, pretty much extended with position angle 0 degrees, between 2 stars."

Archived