NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can someone please help me the sky is clear!!

Hello, the sky here in Nottingham is clear and for the first time since christmas I have a chance to actually use my scope :rolleyes:

The big problem I have is that I can't see anything through it :rolleyes: I have put it outside for now in the garden to cool down as I saw someone say here to do that first but I still can't actually see anything! I have tried the Barlow x2 piece and others I think a 10ml and 20ml and a 1.5 something I am sorry I dont know what they are I am a total noob :shock:

I have looked through my dads bino's tonight when I went round for tea and the stars looked very nice it is amazing how clear they are even through an old batty set of bino's so I am desperate to get out tonight while it is still visable.

Please help me :D

http://www.camcentre.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=35

It is about as basic as they come as far as I can see from here but I can't see anything at all!

Just been out again in between posting and I get a small yellow dot and that is it, maybe I have put it together wrong? I really don't know but I am very dissapointed considering everyone else seems to get set up ok. Maybe I am just a mong :D

You have a 60mm refractor.

This should be fine. The best way to start off would be to use the lowest maginification possible. In your case it will be the eyepiece marked 20mm. Do not use anything else with this as yet. Point the scope at the small yellow dot (If you can't find this then a street light in the distance would do. Then try focussing the scope. You may need to wind the focusser quite a bit to do this.

If this works then the scope is put together ok. Try pointing at different stars. Stick with the 20mm eyepiece until you are happy with what you should be doing.

Hope this helps

Rob

Hi I am also a newbie here so it looks like 2 idiots together in this thread.

For xmas I was given a scope very simular to yours and have just been outside in Southampton for the first time.

My scope is this one LOL. http://www.tchibo.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/uk/-/GBP/TdUkDisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=0011837

Are you using the largest size lens ? I can see great with my 25mm lens.

A couple of things, if I sound like I'm stating the bl**ding obvious it's only because I and many others have been there don't take offense. Are the caps off? Is the diagonal in correctly? Are you focusing too fast and thus missing the object? Is your finder aligned to the scope? Are you sure there is nothing on any of the optics.

Even with a setup like that you should be able to make something out. Aim at a bright star, Capella or at Mars with alow power EP (20 or 25mm) if it came with one .If the EPs are marked by their power of magnification (?x) go for the smallest. This will give the widest field of view and a good chance of catching something.Once found, then you can start to increase mag. Don't forget the sky is a huge place and with a small scope it will be easy to miss even the biggest, brightest objects if the aim is a wee off. Have another go !

Karlo

Focusing I hear you say? What focusing? :D

Didn't realise I had to focus lol! Will go out again, I havent actually set my focuser thingy on the side with the cross in to a point yet as the sky has been miserable since I got it so didn't see the point :rolleyes:

Is the focus thing the two round things under the scope that twist going forward and backward? Sorry for being a dunce but I have never done this before!

And yes of course I took the lense off I am not that stupid :rolleyes:

Ok the sky is still clear but what I didn't tell you is that I had about 8 pints before I got in :rolleyes:

I was so excited about the sky being clear I wanted to get right into it! I didn't expect the clear sky hence drinking so much and carrying on once I got home but I am still at a lost end as to why my scope doesn't work. I tried the focus thing and got nothing more then a yellow dot! Very dissapointed to be fair although if my head was clear I may have made more of it as my old man keeps texting me :rolleyes:

Here's hoping to a good sky tomorrow to and I will try and align my finder and scope tomoorow in the day and see if that helps me. Anyone know why my finder has the objects upside down? or is it supposed to be like that?

As I say I am very new to this and want it to work but need all the help I can get even if you lot do think I am asking for mothering :D

Finder scopes usually show things upside down - that's normal.

Your scope however will show things the right way up but with left and right reversed because you are (or should be) using the diagonal prism to view though - that's the thing that turns the light through 90 degrees.

Your scope should have come with some basic instructions if it was new - it would be worth having a look at those.

Try practicing with it in daylight (NOT AT THE SUN !!!!) - if you can focus the scope on a distant tree, telegraph pole or similar in daytime you should be able to focus it at night as well.

Keep at it - your scope can show you some nice sights if you persevere :D

John

Ok the sky is still clear but what I didn't tell you is that I had about 8 pints before I got in :rolleyes:

I was so excited about the sky being clear I wanted to get right into it! I didn't expect the clear sky hence drinking so much and carrying on once I got home but I am still at a lost end as to why my scope doesn't work. I tried the focus thing and got nothing more then a yellow dot! Very dissapointed to be fair although if my head was clear I may have made more of it as my old man keeps texting me :clouds2:

Here's hoping to a good sky tomorrow to and I will try and align my finder and scope tomoorow in the day and see if that helps me. Anyone know why my finder has the objects upside down? or is it supposed to be like that?

As I say I am very new to this and want it to work but need all the help I can get even if you lot do think I am asking for mothering :D

Hi Ollienttm,

By heck, the beer must be strong in Nottingham. After 8 pints, I find focussing becomes very difficult too :rolleyes:

From one who has yet to experience the joys of setting his 'scope up and finding anything !!

First lesson in astronomy. Alcohol and expensive telescopes make very for a very bad mixture. do one thing or the other, but not both. :nono:

It's bad enough being a bit woosy, but woosy in the dark is amplified 10 fold, and 10 times woosy with in charge of a telescope is a recipe for disaster. If you knock the scope over, you will certainly see nothing, ever again through it.

So, do as your mammy tells you, no drink. :D

Ron. :rolleyes:

I see, I got it for X mas of my dad so how do I fix it? I dont mind working around it if need be as long as someone can help me sort it out I mean, surely if the Aussies can do it upside down so can I? 8)

I was teasing,sorry if I confused you.

I am sure once you are sober you will be able to sort it out...

Hi ollient, i'm in Bury Manchester and the sky is clear here tonight 4 the 1st time since xmas, so I am also gonna b using my scope for the first time 2nite so stay tuned cos between us I'm sure we'll be able to find something, cant wait.

Oh an stay off the beer 2day lol, its hard enuf focusin on simething 2 feet away when u bin drinkin, never find millions of miles away :D

NOOOOOO, where av those clouds come from, GO AWAY!!

The cloud Gods don't like new telescopes. Best not to post about observing, mention anything about observing or even think about observing until some one else buys a new scope.

You'll also find in your telescope packaging a small rectangular box with the words "cloud generator" written on the side. It cannot be turned off and is indestructible.

:D ur rite, I think we shud all wash our hair tonight (providing u have some) with absolutely no intention whatsoever of getting with 10 feet of our scopes. Dont know why i got the scope anyway, stars r rubbish.

Do ya think the gods heard that? :rolleyes:

Well true to form the clouds have been in abundance since I was a bit tipsy at the weekend and hence I have done sod all else with it :D

T'is really fustrating that I don't know how to do anything with it I feel stupid but I suppose most folk are the same soI wont give up at the first hurdle. The intructions I got with scope are full of jargon I don't understand so wont be needing them again :rolleyes: Maybe this weekend will let me see some magic, I wont be drinking this weekend so I have a head start already in that respect :rolleyes:

guys, after a couple of complaints that this thread is basically now going nowhere I have taken the trouble to lock it to further responses, maybe if the originator moves forwards with seeking advice we can sway away from what is basically heading towards a nonsence. Thanks Terry

Archived