NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Little flowers of ice

hes not well again

I was out last night and in Scotland it was windy and definitely sub zero temp but very clear. As the moon was shining down with idiot good humour washing everything else out I spent an hour or so cruising the terminator  and found that after a while ice was spreading across the primary mirror of my dob. I remembered watching Sky at Night some time ago and someone on the program was saying that the most useful item in his kit was a hairdryer for getting ice of his mirror. Surely he wasn't suggesting that you should use warm air on your scope was he? Maybe he meant on the cold setting although would that have any effect or maybe make things worse. Or maybe, and I think this is most likely, I completely misunderstood what he was saying.  

Yup a short blast down the tube and another on the back of the mirror of a newt does the trick fine. The idea is to raise the temperature of the optics above the dew point. Don't spend long on this though as a large temperature change will create thermals in the OTA.

I use a 12V hairdryer which you can by from camping/sailing  shops.

They use up a lot of juice and will drain a 7 amp hour battery in only  a few mins. However, they are much safer than 240 V, as electricity and water do not mix!

Archived