Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally found somewhere free from cloud!

slickfonzy

OK, it's not very convenient for taking bins or scope, but somewhere between twenty and thirty thousand feet on the way back from Switzerland list night I finally had a chance to remind myself of what the night sky looks like!  Despite the limited porthole view and the cabin lights, I managed the Moon, Aldebaran, Castor and Pollux, Jupiter, Orion as it was rising, and a meteor streaking across Gemini.

I was feeling quite chuffed with my observing opportunity until I got home and told my wife - "oh, while you were away we had the clearest night here that I've ever seen"!

• 1 month later...

I was on a plane once flying overnight and was looking forward to looking out of the window when the cabin staff came round and insisted the window shutters were pulled down during the night. 

er - why, if all the lights in the plane were out.

Carole

Neat, there's plenty dark sky on the Kent coast. One of the few areas where there are no big star parties.

We're on the EMS flight path. All night long there's cargo traffic. It never ceases to amaze why they have such huge front headlamps.

Nick.

Neat, there's plenty dark sky on the Kent coast. One of the few areas where there are no big star parties.

We're on the EMS flight path. All night long there's cargo traffic. It never ceases to amaze why they have such huge front headlamps.

Nick.

Yes, as you say, the LP isn't too bad here.  The council is implementing a part-night lighting scheme this year, too, so hopefully that will make things even darker.

I know what you mean about the EMS traffic, I visited friends in Measham last summer, we sat in their garden for most of the night and I couldn't believe the non-stop traffic overhead!

Archived