M27 Dumbbell Nebula - the result of a very brief imaging session last night

David_Pickles

My first attempt at the Dumbbell Nebula last night. Unfortunately, a combination of problems meant I wasn't able to spend as long imaging as I wanted to, so the result comprises a mere 6 x 200s exposures using the QHY8L at -20C attached to the Sky-Watcher Explorer 190MN Pro. Stacking and initial processing was done in Nebulosity 3, with final processing done in Photoshop CS6. Despite the small number of exposures, I am fairly pleased with the result, which shows a reasonable amount of detail in the nebula and a lot of stars.

10968721776_c35908dcc0_c.jpg
The Dumbbell Nebula (M27) by Judge.pickles123, on Flickr

Yep, some nice detail showing through there and some star colour too!! Well done!

There's some star elongation top left - A possible spacing issue? Not sure what scope you are using.

Many thanks Sara. I had noticed the elongation top left in this image and will continue to look out for that in future. I have not noticed it on previous photos, taken with the DSLR, and this is only my second outing with the QHY8L, so I don't know if it just an issue with this one image or a potential issue. I have it hooked up to a Sky-Watcher Explorer 190MN Pro, which should be relatively flat across the FOV. However, I do use a 50mm extension tube that I have previously needed for the DSLR, so that I can mount my 2" light pollution filter to the QHY - maybe that is causing an issue. I had already ordered a shorter adaptor for use with this camera, prior to noticing this issue, so hopefully that may help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice image!

i got my QHY8L yesterday and i can only hope to get images like yours.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Having stepped up from a modded DSLR, there is a noticeable improvement in the noise levels with the QHY8L. In addition, the EZCap software is very good and I now use that instead of Nebulosity to capture my images. Whilst waiting for some clear skies you should have a play around with it to get used to the settings - I set mine up in the garage and used the opportunity to build up a bank of darks at -20 C for the most common exposure lengths. Once done, you don't need to worry about capturing darks again as long as you always set the TEC to -20 for each shoot. Good luck with your new camera - I'm sure you'll enjoy the results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived