Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The power of an Ha filter combined with an MCX2 video camera

Astrogate

Hi Group

I used my VRC10" scope @ F3.8 and my MCX2 to capture in Hydrogen Alpha (Orion 7nm Ha filter) 3 x 180 sec images of the Flame and Horsehead Nebula and 3 x 120 sec of the Crab Nebula using Miloslick for both the capturing and average stacking on the fly. I tweaked the histogram after setting the amp glow mask and video settings. The moon at 94% phase was not too far away causing some very strong gradients/glow. When capturing the Crab Nebula the moon was only a few degrees away. The temperature tonight was with the wind chill 25F or -5C and the TEC was set to 8 AGC to 5.

Horsehead Nebula

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/10958592334/in/photostream/

Flame Nebula

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/10958592324/in/photostream/

Crab Nebula

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/10958648263/in/photostream/

Thank you for joining me and keeping me company while I was out for several hours enjoying the night sky on a very cold night.

Clear skies to all!

Chris A

Astrogate

Super images Chris, such short subs in Ha shows just how good this must have video cam really is.

Great work sorry I missed the session on NSN.

Thank you Ken you are too kind. Yes the Ha filter is a fantastic filter to bring out the emission lines even under a full moon. I just love using this filter (Orion 7nm Ha) when the moon is at it's full phase and there are several emission nebula objects to look at.

Cheers Mate,

Chris A

Astrogate

Super images Chris, such short subs in Ha shows just how good this must have video cam really is.

Great work sorry I missed the session on NSN.

Thank you Steve. You are right this camera really allows one to do short (for Ha) exposures and obtain decent results even under a full moon. The Crab nebula was only a few degrees from the 94% phase moon last night.

Cheers,

Chris A

Astrogate

Good work Chris. I keep checking to see if anyone is casting, but somehow I missed you. Looks like you had a very productive evening.

Thank you Allan and sorry I missed you during the broadcast. What I will do next time is post a message here when I am going to be on.

Clear skies,

Chris

Excellent results as always, Chris.

The Ha filter certainly seems to work a treat on the Flame and Horsehead. Interestingly, I was of the impression that the Hb filter was the one to use on these objects? Obviously not.

Well done!

Aaron

• 1 month later...

Good work Chris. I keep checking to see if anyone is casting, but somehow I missed you. Looks like you had a very productive evening.

Excellent results as always, Chris.

The Ha filter certainly seems to work a treat on the Flame and Horsehead. Interestingly, I was of the impression that the Hb filter was the one to use on these objects? Obviously not.

Well done!

Aaron

Thank you very much Aaron! There is a lot of Hydrogen Alpha within the Hrosehead and Flame nebulas and this is why an Ha filter is so effective. The Hb filter would be good also on the Horsehead nebula.

Cheers,

Chris

These and other images on your Flickr photostream are a tribute to what the MCx2 can produce. Can I just ask why are some images in mono and some in colour when taken with the same camera.

Allan when using a narrow Ha filter like I was using (Orion 7nm), I am only picking up the hydrogen alpha which falls in the red spectrum. Since there is no blue or green detected due to the filter it is always best to image/view these types of objects in black & white when using an Ha filter. Hope this explains to you what your question was asking.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived