Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tweaking total error in PHD

Evening eveyone, i have a quick question regarding tweaking phd, below is a shot of my graph from tonight showing the Ra / Dec PA errors & total, is this good enough or can i tweak something to tighten this up a little.

The sub is 1 x 25 mins, very slight egging starting to show, would i get away with using this or bin it ?

post-11075-0-49371100-1384910145_thumb.j

post-11075-0-59699000-1384910171_thumb.j

Maybe phd is , for me, at it's best but maybe i could get it better.

Thank you in advance.

the graph looks pretty good to me, i am no expert but a 25 minute sub does sound very long and to get a mount to track for that length of time is excellent. you must have some very nice dark skies as well

Agreed the graph dosen't look bad but before i started guiding through the handset the RA was almost straight & i was struggling with DEC, im not saying i'm struggling with RA now but it's wavier than i thought, i put RA aggression up to 105.

Next night out i will make a few adjustments as i appreciate the 'tweak' could be absolutley anywhere.

Skies are not that dark at all tbh, & nearly a full moon, i wanted to see how long i could go & get good(ish) stars.

Thanks for your reply appreciated.

Hi Ewan,

What are your settings for the Declination axis in PHD, because i can;t see them in the screenshot..

My DEC graph keeps going upwards.. and i don't know how to correct it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Check your balance, then the PA. It is usually one or the other.

A.G

Hi Ewan,

What are your settings for the Declination axis in PHD, because i can;t see them in the screenshot..

My DEC graph keeps going upwards.. and i don't know how to correct it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Can you let us know your setup you are using for imaging as it may be easier to help, as Lensman57 sais 'Check your balance, then the PA. It is usually one or the other.', that's the 1st place i would look though.

BTW i couldn't use the sub above as i only noticed AFTER taking it that when i was framing the shot i had inadvertantly undone the flattener from the focus rotater very slightly thus making the overall sub slighlty 'bigger' & i don't have Registar :embarassed:

Hi Andrew,

Can you let us know your setup you are using for imaging as it may be easier to help, as Lensman57 sais 'Check your balance, then the PA. It is usually one or the other.', that's the 1st place i would look though.

BTW i couldn't use the sub above as i only noticed AFTER taking it that when i was framing the shot i had inadvertantly undone the flattener from the focus rotater very slightly thus making the overall sub slighlty 'bigger' & i don't have Registar :embarassed:

Hello, yes i think it's both.

The equipment consists of a 6inch newtonian on an CG5 mount, ccd camera QHY8l, a 50mm guidescope (around 500gr), and an DBK21 used as guider..

And this night i balanced it properly, but unfortunately too much fog to take it outside... so i have to wait for the PA. Anyway i was thinking of using the AlignMaster software recommended by Dion...instead of the usual mount routine.

I'll try these out and let you know if i fix it!

Thanks ,

Andrew

are those stars eggy or slightly triangular ? its hard to tell at that image size

Jnc, thing is when you zoom in corner to corner the single dimmer stars are not that bad, certainly seen a lot worse.

As the flattener was slightly loose i bet over 25 minutes it could have shifted a micron or so, you know what i mean :-)

Im not too bothered about 1 sub as im confident that was human error, i will concentrate now on RA, dont get me wrong i mean overall im reallypleased it's improved so much.

Archived