NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nebulosity in the Pleiades with video?

Joves

It should be possible on the basis that the nebulosity is easier to see than the Flame nebula visually yet the flame images easily with video.  :smiley:

Flame Nebula (and M42, PN's etc) photograph well because it is an Emission Nebula. Emsission nebulae consist of ionised gas in the Red to Infra-Red spectra which CCD sensors suck up with Glee if the IR filter is removed  :smiley:  and Ionised gas gives off it's own energised light, not reflected light.

Trifid is a good example of the two forms of nebula. The Emission side (the Pink/Red side) photographs beautifully, but the Reflection side (Blue/white side) photographs poorly, yet visually they look similar.

Has anybody ever tried, or had any luck, with capturing this with video. Very curious as to whether it is even possible? If so, then it's a definite goal of mine to capture also.

Thanks folks.

Aaron

The Pleiades is enveloped by nebulosity but is brightest below Merope - M45's brightest star - I've recorded it in the past in brief exposures :-)

Nice one, thanks Maurice. This is pretty much exactly what I'd be hoping for.

Not in London, but probably not much better a location for stargazing... Sydney isn't really known for its pristine skies :)

Hi Joves - good luck with the Pleiades shots - it's long while since we were in Sydney at my [late] brother's place in Gladesville whilst 'doing' Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and finally Sydney - great city - well they were all great :grin: .  

Thanks Maurice. I'll have a go as soon as these darn clouds cooperate. Oh, and once bub has settled into life on earth (due to be delivered tomorrow morning... I'm thinking I won't be looking at the skies for a little bit).

Sydney is a great city... In some ways. In others, like for dark skies, it's the pits! Thanks goodness for Video Astronomy (regardless of which camera you own or how long you have to integrate!!) haha... Sorry, couldn't resist :)

I tried this last night using a C6 @F2.7. I got the Merope nebula faintly using 75 second integration with a Mallincam Extreme. I forgot to grab a frame. I would say that it is tough and a larger scope would do a better job. ...Dwight

Has anybody ever tried, or had any luck, with capturing this with video. Very curious as to whether it is even possible? If so, then it's a definite goal of mine to capture also.

Thanks folks.

Aaron

Hi Aaron

Capturing the reflective nebulosity around the stars making up the Pleiades nebula with a video camera can be very tough to do but not impossible. Here is my results using my VRC10" scope @F3.8 and my MCX2. Full details are below the image.

Merope - M45

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/11136367305/

Clear skies,

Chris A

Astrogate

That is absolutely amazing, Chris. I envy your work!

Thank you very much Aaron! I just enjoy the near live real-time viewing experience so much and apply my experience in CCD imaging to get the most out of my video camera. Knowing how to adjust your settings and watching the histogram can really make a huge difference. Also making the best out of your location when it comes to poor skies by using a good quality light pollution filter does help but it would be nice to have natural dark skies. :smiley:

Cheers,

Chris A

Astrogate

Archived