Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which mount

jetstream

Ideally you want the equivalent of the HEQ5, as you are Canada not sure what is available to you. As in not sure if you have the HEQ5 on offer from anywhere.

For guiding then it needs to be goto, for the positional feedback to occur and be acted on.

Maybe look at the iOptron mounts that are around.

They have GPS so reduces the data that you need to feed into them.

Hi Gerry,

The minimum mount you need is an HEQ5 size mount (either SYNTREK or SYNSCAN)

Either will allow full computer control for guided astrophotography.

The only difference between the 2 versions is that the SYNSCAN version has full goto built into the handset... the SYNTREK does not... this will not bother you if you use computer control, since the handset would not necessarily be used... and GOTO would be provided by the computer software.

You should have no trouble locating one of these as there are a number of stockists in Ontario: -

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/05_service/10_dealer.php

It may not be common knowledge... but Sywatcher is actually a Canadian owned company... and is owned and run by folks from Richmond BC... originally they had their head office in Vancouver but moved manufactuing to China when they took over the 'Pacific Telescope Corp'.

I hope you find something suitable at one of the suppliers listed in the above link.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Gerry,

The minimum mount you need is an HEQ5 size mount (either SYNTREK or SYNSCAN)

Either will allow full computer control for guided astrophotography.

The only difference between the 2 versions is that the SYNSCAN version has full goto built into the handset... the SYNTREK does not... this will not bother you if you use computer control, since the handset would not necessarily be used... and GOTO would be provided by the computer software.

You should have no trouble locating one of these as there are a number of stockists in Ontario: -

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/05_service/10_dealer.php

It may not be common knowledge... but Sywatcher is actually a Canadian owned company... and is owned and run by folks from Richmond BC... originally they had their head office in Vancouver but moved manufactuing to China when they took over the 'Pacific Telescope Corp'.

I hope you find something suitable at one of the suppliers listed in the above link.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thank you for the info and the link Sandy :smiley: ,I will check out those dealers and model prices.Interesting to know that SW is Canadian owned....BC is a beautiful place too!

Ideally you want the equivalent of the HEQ5, as you are Canada not sure what is available to you. As in not sure if you have the HEQ5 on offer from anywhere.

For guiding then it needs to be goto, for the positional feedback to occur and be acted on.

There're all kinds of Skywatcher mountsin Canada, I think. Actually the following link is the ONLY PLACE I'VE ABLE to find with all the relevant weights of Skywatcher mounts

http://focusscientific.com/osCommerce/catalog/index.php/cPath/49_56

I would like to buy a used mount,but if something is wrong with it return shipping could be costly because of my location.If an HEQ5 needed repair what would be a typical problem/cost involved?and how hard are they to fix?A friend will let me try his Canon DSLR and his Photoshop to process to see if it is for me.The NEQ6 and CCD would be nice to have and is an option that could provide better early success than the DSLR.....

I would like to buy a used mount,but if something is wrong with it return shipping could be costly because of my location.If an HEQ5 needed repair what would be a typical problem/cost involved?and how hard are they to fix?A friend will let me try his Canon DSLR and his Photoshop to process to see if it is for me.The NEQ6 and CCD would be nice to have and is an option that could provide better early success than the DSLR.....

Not really sure on the costs involved to be honest - but if you want that additional protection you can always buy new. The HEQ-5 would easily handle your 90mm Stellarvue, but would struggle with the 10" - I guess you need to have a think about what type of objects you want to be imaging.

If you are mostly interested in widefield imaging, then you should be looking at small and fast refractors, if you are looking at planetary nebula and planets you really need focal length (and aperture for planets for increased resolution), this requires a much heavier duty mount than the HEQ-5. If you ever think about something like a C14, even the NEQ-6 isn't really up to it, at the C14 level you are looking at an EQ8 / Mesu.

Great point Jonathan.The targets I love are big nebula and galaxies,which may pose problems with my existing telescopes-F ratio with the refractor- and wind,stability withe the 10".Hindsight being "20/20" I should have bought a faster refractor,with a buillt in flattener.....to use the DSLR a faster ratio would be desireable I think

Great point Jonathan.The targets I love are big nebula and galaxies,which may pose problems with my existing telescopes-F ratio with the refractor- and wind,stability withe the 10".Hindsight being "20/20" I should have bought a faster refractor,with a buillt in flattener.....to use the DSLR a faster ratio would be desireable I think

By big I presume you mean large in angular size?

I wouldn't worry too much, at F/7 it is not too slow, and still has a reasonable focal length of 630mm (only 30mm more than the ED80 - which is F/7.5 native). I would recommend a field flattener, most certainly (if using a DSLR), and if you can get one with a focal reducing element too that would be useful - this is probably a lot cheaper than buying a new scope!

Stellarvue sells a nice flattener,with no reducer and a big dia T ring for the camera(2.5" focuser) and spacers to position a CCD.Among my favorite objects are the Veil,Orion neb,N.A. neb and the spiral galaxies.My refractor points me in the direction of a big,cooled CCD-$$$$$ for those neb I believe and a nice accurate mount

If your content with the 90mm and guiding and dslr/ccd then the HEQ5 (or in the US/Canada its the Orion Sirius) then you'll be fine. But if you every want to venture into large scopes then my suggestion would be to spend the money now on a EQ8 and start resaving for upgrades to your scope or camera. I've had my setup for 2 years and I want to go bigger. But unlike you I dont have a permanent place to setup so until I can buy my own house with a yard and build an obsy I wont be getting a larger scope or an EQ8. I think the EQ8 is available in Canada, not sure, but I know its not in the US yet. Probably not til the spring.

Ii seems to me that Olly had a NEQ6 plus a 6" achro refractor for 600£ for just over a month ago, if it's not sold, it should be a safe buy, if the stuffs can be sent by containers.

Ii seems to me that Olly had a NEQ6 plus a 6" achro refractor for 600£ for just over a month ago, if it's not sold, it should be a safe buy, if the stuffs can be sent by containers.

I don't think it would be worth it as shipping and customs would be a lot.

I think N.A. Nebula will be fine, Orion will be fine but the Veil might need a mosaic (it's ~3 degrees).

Have a play through with this:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Gives you a rough idea of the field you should expect.

Great link Naemeth-it gives me a good perspective on camera choice/scope interaction and the objects menu is very helpful

Not worth buying from me at that distance. There is a newer version of the EQ6, the Alt-EQ6 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html which strikes me as having sorted the niggles of the standard one to quite a high degree. They weren't serious niggles but if I were in the market at around this price I'd choose this one. You get improved polar alignment mechanicals, belt primary drive and a decent cable input. The moment you accidentally drag the cable out of the motherboard on the old one (been there!!) you've pretty well paid the difference between the old one and the new. I have one based here, not mine, and it looks good but isn't yet operational.

The HEQ5 will do fine with a small refractor but the 6 in either form is more future proofed.

I think it beats the iOptron. If you like refractors I can tell you that the iOptron didn't like the long tube of our TEC140 at all, even in visual use.

We have an EQ8 on order but there's no doubt about whether or not we like imaging here. We certainly do!!

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Thanks Olly,it is good to know there is an updated EQ6 version out there,I am inclined to buy new because of my location and warranty.Speaking of warranty I don/t see anything listed on SW site,but I'll keep looking.Eventhough the used HEQ5 is a great idea,having a mount that is a little bigger than needed is a good thing(AZ-EQ6), giving added capacity for down the road.When ready the AZ- EQ6 is most likely the route I will take...thanks

Can I chip in here.

I have a he5 atm, and will upgrade i always do... you know how it is...However.

BUT.

I have a specific rig in mind, QSI with WSG, Baby Q focuser and some form or rotation.

Does this need a mount which is capable of a 16 inch monster or do i need a solid fit for purpose solution.

It is very easy to go down the line of buying a big mount, but do you really need the load capacity, will you ever need to use 50kg payload?

These are just my thought processes at present.

Can I chip in here.

BUT.

I have a specific rig in mind, QSI with WSG, Baby Q focuser and some form or rotation.

Does this need a mount which is capable of a 16 inch monster or do i need a solid fit for purpose solution.

It is very easy to go down the line of buying a big mount, but do you really need the load capacity, will you ever need to use 50kg payload?

Its not just about the load capacity. Its about the build and how accurately it tracks without guiding. Mounts that have better tracking accuracy do tend to have bigger payloads because the tendacy with larger payloads is the increase in FL which in turn needs better accuracy. Does Olly's Baby Q setup require all the muscle of his Mesu?(I'm assuming he uses it on this mount not sure though) Not at all. An HEQ5/EQ6 would handle it just fine. BUT that would require more accurate work on the guider. The less the guider has to adjust the mount to keep its accuracy "perfect" the less likely there will be errors. The reason these higher end mounts can take 30min unguided images is not because the equipment weighs only 30% of its capacity  (vs 50% of the capacity of a mid teir mount) is because of how accuractly it tracks not its capacity. But there not everyone can fork over 10-20k for a mount so thats were guiding steps in and helps to bridge the gap by allowing people to take 30min exposures on lesser mounts. I can garuntee that everyone here would prefer to have a mount thats able to take 30min unguided exposures vs 30min guided exposures.

Can I chip in here.

BUT.

I totally agree and if I were just going to image with a Baby Q I'd be going for something simple and probably Skywatcher. A 5 or a 6.   Oh, a 10 Micron would be better but would it show in the pictures? Unlikely.

Olly

Archived