NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Guide Camera

centroid

I took delivery of a new guide camera today, the newly released Starlight Express 'Lodestar'.

I had been looking at the options for a more sensitive guide camera, to replace my DSI-C. I had the opportunity to make a direct comparison between the QH5Y and my DSI, and although the QH5Y represented very good value for money, and guided well, it was somewhat less sensitive than the DSI.

I then saw the pre-release info on the 'Lodestar', and one thing immediately 'grabbed' my attention. This was the fact that it used the Sony ICX429AL mono CCD. Having installed the ICX429AL in my MX7C, when I converted it to mono, I had experienced the sensitivity of the 'chip', and found it quite impressive.

Also the Lodestar has an ST4 guider output, and employs high speed USB 2.0.

The only negative factor, was the hefty 'price tag' of £395, which is a lot of money for just a guide camera, without any 'frills'.

However, I decided to 'swallow the bitter pill of the price', and buy one.

The Lodestar is very compact, and has been designed to fit straight into a 1.25" eyepiece holder. I've attached a picture of it, alongside a Series 4000 20mm eyepiece, as a comparison.

MartinB, has also recently acquired one of these cameras, and I look forward to comparing notes with him, once I've had the chance to put it 'through its paces'. I'll also post my views, here on the forum.

Dave

post-13389-133877335259_thumb.jpg

Well, expensive it may have been Dave, but it is bound to be an asset to you. I don't see any connections in the view of it you gave here, I would presume a USB and a ST4 connector are in there somewhere. It is quite small, and about the same size as my SXV guidehead.

Looking forward to more images from you.

Welcome home by the way, You had a great holiday, no doubt about that. Pity you won't be at the Astrofest, would have been nice to have met you personally. Perhaps another venue sometime.

Cheers

Ron. :D

I got the Lodestar mainly to use with my SXV adaptive optics unit - large chip, sensitive and low noise. Ian King reckons it will give a workable guidestar 2 magnitudes dimmer than my current SXV guidehead. It also means I can use it with non SXV cameras. Sounds great in theory, just hope it works!

but being a pensioner i will have to make do with my qhy5 :D

poor Rog

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :clouds2: So the poverty is down to the pension eh Rog ... not the dome, the C11, the TWO EQ6s, the Equinox, the fully fitted warm room, the CCD, the fancy filters...

Poor poor Rog :shocked:

but being a pensioner i will have to make do with my qhy5 :rolleyes:

poor Rog

:rolleyes::clouds2::shocked: So the poverty is down to the pension eh Rog ... not the dome, the C11, the TWO EQ6s, the Equinox, the fully fitted warm room, the CCD, the fancy filters...

Poor poor Rog :kiss:

And lets not forget the Chrimbo holidays in a warmer climate :D

but being a pensioner i will have to make do with my qhy5 :D

poor Rog

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :clouds2: So the poverty is down to the pension eh Rog ... not the dome, the C11, the TWO EQ6s, the Equinox, the fully fitted warm room, the CCD, the fancy filters...

Poor poor Rog :shocked:

Don't believe him Martin, he might be old enough to draw his pension, but the cheeky b****r is still working 'full time' . I reckon he'll be buying an OSC camera next. :kiss:

Its me that's the poor old pensioner, who's been living on his company pension for the past 5 years, albeit I did become eligable for the pittance of State Pension this year. But then as the Tesco advert goes "every little bit helps". :kiss:

Barry, the ST4 comptible output from the lodestar, will go into the 'Guider' port of the LX, as opposed to the RS232 that the DSI uses. As I understand it, it will also plug staight into the 'guide' port of an EQ6 etc.

Dave

A good purchase, Dave - I will be interested to hear how you get on with it. As you know, I use the SXV guide head and so far have always managed to find a suitable guide star with it although sometimes it has been a close run thing on some parts of the sky so that extra 2 magnitudes should make an enormous difference.

Archived