NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher Explorer 130-P

Hi guys,

New star gazer here..I have just bought  the scope Sky-Watcher Explorer 130-P and have two EP. One is a 10mm and other is a 25mm.I have just bought a x2 Barlow ,hope it will come sometime this week.

I looked at the moon last night,only half moon but eye catching,I wish I could zoom in more with the x2 Barlow.

What is the best EP to use with the x2? Also the moon is bright enough to give me white eye lol

Is there a quick fix to dim the moon?

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - you need a moon filter. You screw it into the eyepiece - assuming yours is a 1.25" standard Plossl?.

Or the other solution is a polarizing filter which allows you control the density of light coming through the eyepiece - from the moon.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

New Gazer 2013..........Hi,Welcome. as well as  the  emadmoussa  suggestion, does your Telescope tube have a dust cap, and on that cap, is there a smaller dust cap that you can remove? (I have this facility on my 200P but its not showing me anything about yours on the web) By removing only the smallest cap, and leaving the main dust cap in place, you will reduce the ammount of light entering the scope as an immediate fix. (They say dont look at the Sun, but the Moon is just a reflector, no wonder its so bright)

Your Barlow has the effect of increasing the Telescopes focal length. The focal length divided by the eyepiece focal length detrmines the telescopes magnification. So any lens will work with a Barlow. Whats best is down to personal choice, telelscope limits, and weather, seeing conditions all affect the end result.

I`m using an 8mm BST Starguider from Skys_unlimited @ £49 and that would be a suggestion for you to change the meagre 10mm that comes with the telescope ( an 8mm to 12mm would be fine) Then take your time choosing and studying whats available. There are cheaper lenses and very very expensive lenses out there. but  again, all down to personal choice. If at a later stage you choose the 12mm or 18mm then using a 2xBarlow would effectively give you a 4mm lens from the 8mm lens  and a 6mm from the 12mm lens and so on. A good standard Plossl may be cheaper from some brands, but wont have the great eye relief or the wide field of view. Remember. Upon fitting a  10mm lens to a barlow, that lens is still a 10mm lens. Its only the magnification of the scope that has been adjusted by the barlow, upstream of the lens!

New Gazer 2013......you also mentioned using from your bedroom? The heat of the room and the telescopes mirror may give not such good veiwing conditions at higher powers, everything is magnified, including the heatwave inside the scope!  Also, its going to cost a fortune re-heating the room after the Window has been open for a few hours. Its always best outside.

New Gazer 2013..........Hi,Welcome. as well as  the  emadmoussa  suggestion, does your Telescope tube have a dust cap, and on that cap, is there a smaller dust cap that you can remove? (I have this facility on my 200P but its not showing me anything about yours on the web) By removing only the smallest cap, and leaving the main dust cap in place, you will reduce the ammount of light entering the scope as an immediate fix. (They say dont look at the Sun, but the Moon is just a reflector, no wonder its so bright)

Your Barlow has the effect of increasing the Telescopes focal length. The focal length divided by the eyepiece focal length detrmines the telescopes magnification. So any lens will work with a Barlow. Whats best is down to personal choice, telelscope limits, and weather, seeing conditions all affect the end result.

I`m using an 8mm BST Starguider from Skys_unlimited @ £49 and that would be a suggestion for you to change the meagre 10mm that comes with the telescope ( an 8mm to 12mm would be fine) Then take your time choosing and studying whats available. There are cheaper lenses and very very expensive lenses out there. but  again, all down to personal choice. If at a later stage you choose the 12mm or 18mm then using a 2xBarlow would effectively give you a 4mm lens from the 8mm lens  and a 6mm from the 12mm lens and so on. A good standard Plossl may be cheaper from some brands, but wont have the great eye relief or the wide field of view. Remember. Upon fitting a  10mm lens to a barlow, that lens is still a 10mm lens. Its only the magnification of the scope that has been adjusted by the barlow, upstream of the lens!

Hi,yes I certainly do have 2 smaller dust caps on my large dust cap.I will try this tonight but with increasing clouds won't be possible.

New Gazer 2013......you also mentioned using from your bedroom? The heat of the room and the telescopes mirror may give not such good veiwing conditions at higher powers, everything is magnified, including the heatwave inside the scope!  Also, its going to cost a fortune re-heating the room after the Window has been open for a few hours. Its always best outside.

Hi there,I don't have the central heating on in the spare room,it's pretty chilly,8c at moment.Yes you are right about best outside but I don't want anyone messing with it if  it is going to be in the lounge :laugh:

I understand the dont touch bit!.......... The spare room, make sure the window is clean, or open completely, more glass (non optical) doesnt help.......The two dust caps, one should be fixed, its the base for the other? Remove the dust cap and place it over the other( safe storage)  And the clouds as long as thin, wispy also create a filter, but dont go to high with the magnification. Enjoy........take care.

Yep - you need a moon filter. You screw it into the eyepiece - assuming yours is a 1.25" standard Plossl?.

Or the other solution is a polarizing filter which allows you control the density of light coming through the eyepiece - from the moon.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

Thanks.Yeah,I probably will get a cheapish moon filter for now.Just wish I had a consertary but the scope is in the spare bedroom,the moon is too high to see it from upstairs..it's relly quite heavy and clumbsy to keep bringing it down

130P heavy? LOL - get prepared to grow muscles as you observe... :)

yes but its not save where I live. I was wondering what is the best coloured moon filter to use? So  many of them or doesn't it matter?

I'd suggest avoiding coloured ones. Get a neutral density filter...it'll only reduce the glare without adding unnatural colours.

Usually coloured ones are good on planets as each colour brings out certain level of details. Well, that's they're supposed to achieve...but for me personally I never found them particularly effective.

I'd suggest avoiding coloured ones. Get a neutral density filter...it'll only reduce the glare without adding unnatural colours.

Usually coloured ones are good on planets as each colour brings out certain level of details. Well, that's they're supposed to achieve...but for me personally I never found them particularly effective.

They are twice as much ..Already spent £20 today..hmmmm..not sure what to get

Bear in mind that, if you use the little cap to reduce the brightness, you are also reducing resolution I.e. you are effectively turning your big scope into a little scope. You will see a lot more detail with your full aperture.

I would suggest sunglasses as a stop gap until you get a proper filter.

Bear in mind that, if you use the little cap to reduce the brightness, you are also reducing resolution I.e. you are effectively turning your big scope into a little scope. You will see a lot more detail with your full aperture.

I would suggest sunglasses as a stop gap until you get a proper filter.

Hi,I did keep the mirror lens on with the small cap off and it was ok.I find the 10mm ok but a bit too close but with the 25mm wide view better but obviously looks further away..I spent 15 mins before looking but too much cloud,it ruined it but just waiting for a dark frosty night..

New Gazer 2013.........The original post questioned........ "Is there a quick fix to dim the moon?" ............and the aperture cap is the quickest fix I know, but as RichieP mentions (which I did write an extended sentence, but never posted) you may loose a little resolution due to the reduction in Aperture. Remember, Aperture is all important, you really dont want to decrease it, but for  Sunlight  reflected from the Moon, i dont think the losses will be so great.  The caps reason  to be there  is to reduce Sunlight / Moonlight.  As for finding the Moon, it wont be any harder than without the cap.

Archived