NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSO with MAK on AZ mount

tekkydave

Hi, I have a Celestron SLT127 on it's standard AZ mount. I know this is not really a useful configuration for DSO imaging but has anybody had any success with it. I am assuming that exposures will need to be short and any field-rotation corrected in software but I would like to give it a go just to see what results can be gained. I have a cheap webcam & 1.25" adapter and also a Sony A100 DSLR with adapter to use. Thanks

Dave

The main limitation is the duration of the subs you'll be able to achieve; 10-20 seconds. If you could accumulate several hours worth of these on brigher DSOs, you might have something, but you'd need to plan it carefully so you don't lose crucial bits of the image due to field rotation over that time, and you would need to check the focus too to make sure it wasn't shifting.

Paulus17 has a lovely image of the Orion Nebula somewhere and shows what sort of things can be achieved.

Mounting the 127 Mak on a good equatorial mount would allow you to take longer subs, but you'd still likely be limited to 60-120 seconds without guiding I suspect.

It's fun trying this stuff though, and it researching and playing allows you to build up a good understanding of your equipment and techniques.

James

Archived