NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light SW Skyliner 200p Dobsy

After much faffing about (and wasting of time) with my cheapy Tasco 114mm reflector, I today purchased second hand a SW Skyliner 200p in great condition with a fine collection of accessories.

So, tonight, after a quick scan through the pilots notes I tried (and failed) to collimate it (supplied with laser),  threw it outside (not literally) and started gawping at things.

What can I say, the difference is mind blowing. It's alot easier to get to where I want to, and I by no means have a clue about where I'm looking!

First object was the Plaidies, which was beatifuful even on the lowest mag EP.

I also had a good look at Jupiter, and saw the moons all lined up in a line!
I couldn't get any eye piece to focus properly tho, adding the 3x barlow just made it alot worse...

To be fair, I started observing 5 mins after I put it outside, which wont have helped.

I think I need to enlist help to teach me to collimate too.

Tonight I have started on adding a 12v fan to the rear, heading to maplins to get red LED's to make a nice easy to use 'push to' with setting circles, and have ordered flocking material and Telrad from FLO.... I can't ever leave anything alone (my motorbike knows all about that!).

Clear Skies to all...

Nothing wrong with a few mods - something to do on that odd cloudy evening that occasionally comes along ;)

Lookup astrobabey's collimation guide and there's another excellent guide recently produced by Moonshane if you can locate the thread.     If you have one it's definitely worth getting a long tube cheshire/site tube to start off with collimation - lasers don;t really help with the essential first step of secondary alignment and need to be used with some caution.

I suspect that the seeing was the main problem with achieving a good focus on Jupiter with the 3x barlow, especially if using with a shorter f/l ep.    Though should be okay with a 25mm, giving an effective 8mm and x150 magnification with the Skyliner 200P.

The scope really needs some time to cool down to give the best views, especially if it's stored in the warm - However no harm using it, just start with lower magnification / longer focal lengths.

Good luck and enjoy - it's a very capable scope and will give some excellent views.

Lovely scope, really grab and go. Just a few tweaks,

Replace primary springs with Bobs Knobs, it'll be easy to keep collimated.

Buy some Turtle Wax and lightly apply and polish in to the surface of the mount facing the Teflon pads. It'll move smoothly.

Cut out 2 circles of milk carton plastic with central holes and mount between the inner alt and the wood mount. It'll be smooth.

Plenty more mods on the forums, enjoy !

Nick.

Good choice and nice report :). The seeing conditions weren't optimal last night so will have affected your scopes performance (especially sharpness). I'd recommend a cheshire over a laser, as the cheshires themselves can never get out of alignment (unless you bend the cross-wires on the end of the tube), and a set of allen keys if you don't have one.

Thanks folks.

As I've been off this week, and the weather pretty rubbish, I've been playing...

Telrad has arrived, along with flocking, will do these this weekend.

Still waiting on Inclinometer and I'll make some setting circles when I get back to work next week. I've got seperate red LED strips to illumiate this off batteries too.

This week I've...

1) made primary cooling fan, using 12v 92mm silent PC fan running at 6v, 3v LED (wire to run off 2 cells only), and slide switch, all mounted on a piece of perspex I had sprayed black.

All vecro's nicely to the rear of the scope, and as power is by rechargeble batteries, no wires running about. I do realise the fan is running the wrong way, will change it tonight.

20131115_170817_resized_zps3889b9d2.jpg

2) made a riser/levelling base unit, from 4x2 CLS, some scraps of 18mm exterior ply and some fancy cupboard feet from B&Q.

The top layer of ply has 10mm deep holes for the Dob base to sit into, and the whole have white tape inserted so it's easier to find them in the dark.

Sprayed it Honda Nighthawk Black (what I had in the garage), which is sparkly when it dries, naturally!

20131115_171807_resized_zps03bdb7a1.jpg

3) made torch hanger from a 22mm pipe clip, to be attached to base beside the optic holders.

Don't worry, I do have a red lense for the maglite (...somewhere...)

20131115_171912_resized_zps685c8e30.jpg

I told you guys I couldn't leave anything alone!

Archived