Where to buy 2nd hand online

​Hi there, could any of you knowledgeable people tell me the best places to buy second hand telescopes online please? I know nothing really about about telescopes (although I'm in the process of trying to educate myself so I dont get ripped off ) and wish to buy one for mother an (enthusiastic beginner) for Xmas. After 2 days spent online looking and learning, I have had my heart stolen by the 

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian or at least the 150p..

If anyone can point me towards the best places to buy second hand that would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Victoria.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

or (if you know what you are doing) you might look on ebay (just check local adds no further away than you are prepared to travel to collect - there are some real bargains there (but also a lot of rubbish :grin: ) - beware

When you get 50 posts (I believe) you will also see member's adverts, here on SGL

Thanks for that Bambuko!

Found that site but failed to find much else other than ebay, which I want to try and avoid if poss (for the reasons that I dont really feel I know what the hell I'm talking about with the whole subject, yet :)

Cheers again x

I can certainly recommend the Skyliner Dobsonian 150, i picked mine up for a little over £200 and i cant believe how good it is. Easy to use mount with a decent star finder. I have had no experience at all untill two weeks ago but after a lot of research and advice from people on here i went for the 150. For viewing you get so much for your money and there is so much to see it will be a while before you outgrow the telescope.

Not sure what they would be second hand but all in all a great telescope. 

Good Luck!

Hello Victoria, and welcome to SGL.

It is a problem deciding what kind of telescope to buy, especially as it is the first one, and not knowing a great deal about the different types that are available.

They do come in many forms and sizes, and most of all, prices.

You will receive loads of advice from the very helpful SGL members, but as a precurser to spending your hard earned cash, perhaps you could post a summary of what your specific interest are, for example, do you like observing the planets, and moon, or perhaps the deep sky objects, such as Nebulae, Galaxies, or  Double Stars perhaps.

You might even consider a good pair of Binoculars as an introduction to your visual astronomy. They will give you some great views of the skies, and particularly the Milky Way, which is a storehouse of splendid star clusters. The binoculars are useful terrestrially too, and will be a useful tool that will aid you in targetting objects, if and when you do get a telescope.

Just a few suggestions for you, to help you get started.

Don't rush into anything, if you are unsure about anything, make sure you seek advice here before parting with your money.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Thanks all! Andy-T, I had decided first on the Skyliner Dobsonian 150 first, then that little voice in my head went 'well, for just a wee (quite a lot actually:)) bit more money, you could get...', but that could go on indefinitely couldn't it :) Just so tempting (even though its not for me!). Nice to hear a good recommendation from another beginner and from someone who's just bought one, so thanks. Reassuring that I've made a decent selection :)

Thanks for the good advice Supernova. It's actually going to be a present for my mum (followed by a lot over-night visits by myself :) -she lives in a detatched house in the middle of no-where so in a great location for her long-standing interest), but I'm sure she'll definitely be more interested in observing deep space, Galaxies, Nebulae etc than the finer points of planets and the moon. Thats one of the things that's steered me more to the 200P as opposed to the 150P- the 150P is an F/7.84, whilst the 200P has a focal ratio of F.591. Is that a sound deduction?

Thanks for all the help and advice and I'll definately be sure to check in with you super helpful people before making any blind or ill-informed purchases. Even a purchase like this at the extremely cheaper end of the scale is a lot of money for us.

Thanks again all,

Vic x

Thanks all! Andy-T, I had decided first on the Skyliner Dobsonian 150 first, then that little voice in my head went 'well, for just a wee (quite a lot actually:)) bit more money, you could get...', but that could go on indefinitely couldn't it :) Just so tempting (even though its not for me!). Nice to hear a good recommendation from another beginner and from someone who's just bought one, so thanks. Reassuring that I've made a decent selection :)

Thanks for the good advice Supernova. It's actually going to be a present for my mum (followed by a lot over-night visits by myself :) -she lives in a detatched house in the middle of no-where so in a great location for her long-standing interest), but I'm sure she'll definitely be more interested in observing deep space, Galaxies, Nebulae etc than the finer points of planets and the moon. Thats one of the things that's steered me more to the 200P as opposed to the 150P- the 150P is an F/7.84, whilst the 200P has a focal ratio of F.591. Is that a sound deduction?

Thanks for all the help and advice and I'll definately be sure to check in with you super helpful people before making any blind or ill-informed purchases. Even a purchase like this at the extremely cheaper end of the scale is a lot of money for us.

Thanks again all,

Vic x

The 8" f5 Reflector has been, and is, a very popular, and very good servant to the amateur astronomer, and will serve your Mums need well.

This telescope on a Dobsonian mount, will prove an easy instrument to use. It's not exactly a lightweight, but it does break down into Mount, and OTA      (Optical Tube Assembly).

Ron.  (Not Supernova)  :grin: 

Cheers Ron :)

Have just looked at a few vids on youtube and I'm actually thinking the 200P might be a bit big for her. I naively underestimated the size of the things (you dont get an accurate idea of the scale from the stock pics on retailer sites!). Would she still get a fairly decent view of Galaxies and Nebulae from the 6'' f7.84?

Vic. 

Have another serious look at the 200p Dobsonian.

But try and have a look at the 200p together before you buy.

Mine came from an Ebay seller at £20-£30 cheaper than the usual online retailers.

It was up for sale at £270, with an option to make a best offer.

The offer was accepted.

When it came we knew it was going to be big - I wasn't dissappointed

It stands 4.5 foot high when it is mounted on the turntable.

SW1.JPG

We also  knew that the views would be worth it.

And we haven't been dissappointed there either.

What I hadn't accounted for were the cost of all the extras.

The standard eyepieces were moved onto the old scope to make room for the new and improved bits & pieces, including.

£130 - 24mm / 16mm 68degree eyepieces

£69 - 12mm Plossl plus 2x barlow

£46 - OIII nebula filter

£12 - Moon filter

£15 - Water butt stand to raise it up to standing height (or get yourself a comfy seat)

Everything I have added has made an improvement.

It is best to spend a little bit  month by month, and avoid impulse buying.

This hobby is addictive

Cheers Ron :)

Have just looked at a few vids on youtube and I'm actually thinking the 200P might be a bit big for her. I naively underestimated the size of the things (you dont get an accurate idea of the scale from the stock pics on retailer sites!). Would she still get a fairly decent view of Galaxies and Nebulae from the 6'' f7.84?

Vic. 

PS - The tube diameter and weight will be slightly smaller.

But the 6" tube length will be the same as the 8".

So the overall size will be very similar.

The f5 will have a wider view than the f8, which in photgraphic terms means it is faster. However, I don't think your Mum is contemplatng Deep Sky Imaging with the scope.

For any given eyepiece, the longer focal length scope will give a higher magnification, but as many deep sky objects are fairly dim objects, higher mag tends to dim them even further.

The field of view in the F8 will be smaller, and that impinges on the location of objects, ie, more difficult to find,

There are plusses and minuses for each format, but personally, I would choose the f5 instrument for the deep sky venture. 

The telescope is obviously not on a driven mount, so again, the FOV comes into the equasion. The object being observed in ther f5 will stay in the FOV longer than in the f8 .

Ron.

Thanks for that Reeny, I have had another serious look at the 200P after your photo and your's and Ron's advice, especially given as Ron says, the size difference is minimal. You've given me a lot to think about Ron.

If it for me it would be a no brainer, the 200P. I dont think it looks that big for what it is. She'll be gazing upon other galaxies for goodness  sake, not over the next blumming hill :) What does she expect :) It looks and sounds amazing, I wish I was buying it for myself!

So next question, would you recommend buying a Barlow if funds allow?

Thanks,

Vic.

There is no need to buy a +£40 Barlow just yet.

I prefer to use the correct sized eyepiece where I can.

It seems to give a slightly clearer view when there is less glassware in the way.

I had my Barlow already, and needed it to make my existing eyepieces work.

The standard SkyWatcher eyepieces are OK, but not great.

The 25mm is a keeper for now, and will give you a nice clear 48x magnification (1200 scope focal length / divided by 25mm eyepiece = 48x)

The 10mm will give you 120x

The best I have achieved with my new eyepieces are 160x mag.

I can't get a good view at plus 200x due to the weather conditions over the last 2-months.

So there is no need to splash out on a barlow just yet. 

Also - magnifiying the basic 10mm eyepiece down to 5mm will increase the visual errors.

You are better off getting another, better eyepiece for the higher magniifcations

When you do spend some cash, try to suppliment the 10mm with a wide view eyepiece of around 160x to 200x (8mm to 6mm)

Then you will have something like 50x / 120x / 180x

Skys the limit do an 8mm and a 5mm BST 60degree Starguider for £50 each.

The 5mm would be used very occasionallly at 240x - I don't recomnend this one yet.

The 8mm will be a good all rounder at 150x

I use the barlow on my 16mm Maxvision 68degree to get it down to 8mm magnifications.

At the moment that is the highest I can go to due to the atmospheric conditions.

Eventually you might want to have the 25mm / 12mm / 8mm BST's or similar

They would give 50x / 100x / and 150x magnifications.

That's enough for excellent view of the Moons craters / Jupiter / Saturn / Ring and Dumbell nebulas

as well as the Galaxies, double stars, and star clusters (e.g. hercules, wild duck, M2)

Thank you, you people are awesome :)

So the more I read the more questions I have...

Firstly, Reeny, what does BST mean/stand for? And are these wide view eye pieces heavy enough that the scope would need a counter weight?

I've been reading the 'look inside' sections of Turn left at Orion on Amazon (have just ordered a copy, seems to be necesarry reading to me for a beginner *before* they buy their first telescope, not alongside it..) and have learned collimating is something that is going to need to be done often. As a laser collimator is out of the question, is this collimating tool really useful/necessary? : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Says its an essential accessory for anyone owning a Newtonian telescope. Is collimating that much of a tricky job? Are there any other (cheap)gadgets around people have found useful for collimating?

I'm looking at a second hand one whose owner says there is some dust on the primary mirror. Is this a major (or minor) issue and can it affect performance?

Lastly, given this is probably going to be the first and last telescope my mother will own (she is about to retire on a very small pension and it is highly unlikely to be able to afford an upgrade. Extras yes, upgrade, no), in your opinion is this scope a good choice for a heavy space/astronomy enthusiast, who isnt particulaly good with electronics, computers etc..and who is unlikely to ever be able to upgrade? Do you have any other suggestions for an alternative telescope with equal or main mirror aperture and similar focal ratio?

(this all belongs in a new thread, doesnt it..)

Thanks in advance,

Vic.

(oh, and what is an eye piece adapter for? One comes with the 2nd hand one I'm looking at) ta.

Re collimating, would a tool like this this be worth it if the telescope was going to be used 2 or 3 times a week? (sorry, not having ever owned a telescope I dont know anything about the process of collimating, other than it needs doing often with a dobsonian that will be moved in and out the house a lot..): 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/baader-laser-collimator.html

Cheers. x

I've got a similar collimation non-laser tool, i.e.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

and it's all you need.  The best guide to collimation I've seen is:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

and I've got a copy printed off.  With laser tools I've heard (but have not experienced) that if the focuser has a bit of movement (i.e. standard skywatcher focuser perhaps) that you don't really get any benefit from a laser one.   - actually it says that on Astrobaby's guide, paragraph 6, page 1. 

Dust on the mirror - they can tolerate quite a bit of dust, but you can then also remove the mirrors and wash them with distilled water (when it gets really bad).  All mirrors will collect dust.

"a heavy space/astronomy enthusiast, who isnt particulaly good with electronics, computers etc.." sounds like a perfect description for a dob owner to me.

...is this collimating tool really useful/necessary? : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Says its an essential accessory for anyone owning a Newtonian telescope. Is collimating that much of a tricky job? Are there any other (cheap)gadgets around people have found useful for collimating?

perfect and don't really need all this laser nonsense :grin:

tricky to start with, but a dodle once you understand what you are seeing

From the descriptions collimating your telescope is a bit like learning how to change gear in a car, or tieing a bow-line: really awkward at first but it becomes second nature after practicing it.

Also like changing gear or tieing a knot, it is a lot easier with someone to show you rather than trying to do it from a book.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Thanks again all, massively helpful money saving advice. No laser collimator's for us then...

Joseki, that collimating guide you linked is fantastic. Will definitely be printing this off.  Just spent what seems like several hours reading it through and trying to get my head round it. The guide is both amazing and terrifying at the same time. I was pitifully chuffed with myself when I managed to screw a toddler chair together correctly, I'm half terrified at having to do this! Though like you all say, I know its one of those things that seem mega complicated and daunting at first (especially when you dont actually have a scope yet for physical reference) but will become 2nd nature with practice. Cant wait to get stuck into it. (I intend to master it myself before teaching it to her.)

Wow, little did I realise when I initially thought 'I'll buy my mother her dream gift and get her a telescope for Xmas' the hours of research and education I'd have to put into it :) I already feel I know more than I ever thought I'd know about telescopes and I still dont really know anything :). . As you mentioned Frugal, its a lot easier with someone to show you rather than do it from a book, so to make sure she's not too daunted by it all, I'll learn it from the book to teach her, (with the result being I cant wait to finally get one and start putting theory into practice).

Now I've got to stop reading about telescopes for an hour or 2 before I fail my degree.

Actually, after all this, I think I'm just going to keep it for myself :)

Thanks again to everyone for all this great advice, I'll be onto you about filters and eyepieces soon..:)

Vic. x

Yeah, thanks, I found them. Got the 8mm 60 degree BST Starguider earmarked. Just battling with myself as to whether we really need it from the off, or whether we should get to know the existing equipment before going in for extras. Cant help feeling that just one extra eye piece wouldnt go amis...

You are down a slippery slope of "he who dies with most toys wins" :grin:

Resist the temptation for now and you will most certainly make more informed choices later...

You mean the aim isn't to have the back garden observatory converted into a mausoleum when I die... I have been going about this all wrong... ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

The f5 will have a wider view than the f8, which in photgraphic terms means it is faster. However, I don't think your Mum is contemplatng Deep Sky Imaging with the scope.

For any given eyepiece, the longer focal length scope will give a higher magnification, but as many deep sky objects are fairly dim objects, higher mag tends to dim them even further.

The field of view in the F8 will be smaller, and that impinges on the location of objects, ie, more difficult to find,

There are plusses and minuses for each format, but personally, I would choose the f5 instrument for the deep sky venture. 

The telescope is obviously not on a driven mount, so again, the FOV comes into the equasion. The object being observed in ther f5 will stay in the FOV longer than in the f8 .

Ron.

Hi,

just picked up on this thread. Regarding the F5/F8 field of view. The field of view seen through a scope is dependent on the apparent field of view of an eyepiece and the focal length of the scope. So as the 150 and the 200 are both 1200mm - using a  25mm eyepiece will give 48X for both. If the afov of the EP is 50 degrees  the field of view will be just over  a degree. (50/48). The 150 is an F8 and because of the narrower light cone generated - it makes life for the budget end of eyepiece world - a bit easier. The "faster" 200mm F6 will gather more light (quite a bit more) but it will be a little more demanding on eyepieces. Hope this hasn't muddied the waters - good luck.

Archived