Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some you win, some you.......

kerrylewis

The weather forecast said cloudy but clearing in the early hours. Right, said I, perfect for Jupiter!, comet Lovejoy etc. I set the scope up covered as usual with an old towel to combat the worst of the dew and went back to the telly.

Checked a couple of times, wall to wall cloud. Looked out of the window about 10.00pm - Cripes it's raining! Rushed out to the garage for the huge plastic sheet that we cover outdoor furniture with, whipped off the wet towel and covered everything multi-quick. Phew, relax again.

Went I bed but Got up at hourly intervals (we old uns have to pay visits in any case!) but still cloudy until finally at 4.00 the skies were clear. OK, on with the woolly socks and out we go.

Everything's a bit wet but after noisily removing the crinkly plastic sheet, ready to go.

Quick alignment - some strange stars offered but eventually plumped for Rigel and away she slews - pointing to the bowels of the earth!! Switch off, start again. Same thing. Never mind - lets just have a look at Jupiter. Looked great, lots of detail, let's try Mars. - handset says 'below the horizon' but I can see the flipping thing! Check time, date etc. all Ok. Skip latitude and longitude as usual cos they never change do they? wait a sec though, go back- I had obviously pressed the wrong keys at some point and I was now residing at 333 degrees West! Ok correct that - away we go back to Jupiter. What's happened? It's a dim yellow ball. No dew shield on while I was preoccupied with alignment , better check the business end. It looked like the end had been covered in frosted glass. Time for the hair dryer treatment. It's amazing how noisy they can be at 5.00 am! Lights go on in the neighbours - but they're only letting the dog out. OK - glasses off at the eyepiece as usual suspended on the trusty Specsavers cord round my neck. Let's try another eyepiece for a bit more mag. Glasses back on- wait a minute where are they? No longer round my neck - don't move sure to tread on them. Red light on - there they are on the floor mercifully in one piece - and a cord minus one end.

Time to give up perhaps? No, I soldiered on and was rewarded with great views of Jupiter, and comet Lovejoy. Don't you love the joy of astronomy?

Definitely a game of lucky day...bad day...and so on. Sometimes I go out totally prepared then something happens such as being defeated by dew, an accident, can't find targets....etc. Then sometimes I just grab the scope with an hour max in mind, then end up observing for hours with a lot of success.

I always worry about setting up just before it's likely to rain. That's why I check the rainfall radar (http://www.raintoday.co.uk/) and the weather satellite (http://www.sat24.com/de/gb) before I set up. If you watch for long enough you can get a good idea when to start setting up and when not to even bother.

This is exactly I have a portable set-up (102ED frac + giro mount) - I take things out when certainty is not possible, then based on the conditions I do or don't take the big guys out.

I'm waiting for someone to invent motorised glasses. These swing up out of the way.

I've sat on mine, stood on them , lost them and bumped into the ep when I've forgotten them. It's just a juggling act between the Telrad, ep and charts.

My hair dryer is very noisy but the effects last for an hour or two. Nice to know others are out tangling about in the morning rush !

Nick.

Glad you liked my story chaps. I find there are some nights which are pure magic - I've described a couple on here, but there are occasionally those where nothing seems to go right. But the latter usually have at least some reward, and the former - well that's why we do it is it not?

Tomorrow night looks promising and I'm ready to do it all again.

Kerry

I have the same issues with glasses Nick. I can just about get by without them but I need to aim the scope to star with with them on. I then flip them on top of my head to look through the finder unless I have to go under the scope to use my favoured, right, eye. Then they end up on a wall. I then have to fumble around in the dark to find them again. I don't have a spare set so I should find a better way of doing things.

Wavesoarer - I'm exactly the same and the cord solution is the best so far - but I have to find a better version. The Specsaver ones are cheap but they have flexible rubber type things which fit over the sidearms of the glasses and they don't seem to last long.

I tried the dangly cords, but the glasses kept swinging into the scope and mount. At one stage there was danger of ocular strangulation as I got up and the glasses stayed with the scope !

It's even worse with a hat and red head lamp, glasses get tangled up in that !

I'm thinking of sticking an old glasses case or two on the tripod. With dark adapted eyes searching the ground is not easy !

As you said before some nights are buttery smooth and others the toast lands butter side down !

Nick.

Archived