NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

water level

Scott

after spending many hours on the diy section, I've noticed some people have a concern about getting their levels right so I thought I'd post a pic of my 1 man water level. (well, it's not mine....learnt it off a bloke many years ago.

Materials.

a/ bucket

b/ 5-10 mtrs of clear tube about 15-20 mm thick

c/ water

1. put a hole in a bucket near the bottom making sure it will be a tight fit for your tubing

2. insert one end of the tube into the hole

3. near fill bucket with water allowing it to run through the tube to clear ALL air bubbles

4. raise end of tube above the water level in the bucket

The water will always find the same level in the tube as is in the bucket.

Just a few tips.

1. put bucket on table to give you a better working height

2. make sure you don't lose any water or the level will change

3. don't be clever like I was once and add food dye to make it easier to see (it'll stain the tube)

4. don't block the end of the tube (whilst using)...it needs to be clear to find it's level

Yeah ok...I'm no artist :D

We've been using a home made water level for building for years. The tube Is fixed to a calibrated piece of batten, and the reservoir is a gallon container fixed to another piece of batten. The tube can be as long as you like, and unlike lasers, can go round corners. It's an idea to add some antifreeze, which also colours the water.

The old ideas are often the best!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

We've been using a home made water level for building for years. The tube Is fixed to a calibrated piece of batten, and the reservoir is a gallon container fixed to another piece of batten. The tube can be as long as you like, and unlike lasers, can go round corners. It's an idea to add some antifreeze, which also colours the water.

the old ones are often the best. I only posted this because unlike you and I, not all astronomers are in the building game ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound clever:(

haha, no worries Jason. My reply  was meant to be playful banter, sorry if it sounded harsh. always sounds different in my head than on the screen. 

after spending many hours on the diy section, I've noticed some people have a concern about getting their levels right so I thought I'd post a pic of my 1 man water level. (well, it's not mine....learnt it off a bloke many years ago.

Materials.

a/ bucket

b/ 5-10 mtrs of clear tube about 15-20 mm thick

c/ water

1. put a hole in a bucket near the bottom making sure it will be a tight fit for your tubing

2. insert one end of the tube into the hole

3. near fill bucket with water allowing it to run through the tube to clear ALL air bubbles

4. raise end of tube above the water level in the bucket

The water will always find the same level in the tube as is in the bucket.

Just a few tips.

1. put bucket on table to give you a better working height

2. make sure you don't lose any water or the level will change

3. don't be clever like I was once and add food dye to make it easier to see (it'll stain the tube)

4. don't block the end of the tube (whilst using)...it needs to be clear to find it's level

Yeah ok...I'm no artist :D

I love the art work, very Spike Milligan :grin:

What I think you have here chaps is a manometer(ish)

very simple and very accurate (used properly)

We used to use them to calibrate pressure gauges

We used something like this at school - cough cough...years ago now. I believe it was to show pressure changes. That was just a length of clear tube bent into a 'U' shape and filled to a certain level. The tubing was secured to a calibrated board to show the changing water level/air pressure.

Manometer_A.gif

As Andy says - a Manometer, or if you are into the Muppets a manomana...meter! :grin:

Round corners! Of course!!! :eek: Brilliant. Damn, that could have saved me some trouble a few years ago.

Olly

Round corners! Of course!!! :eek: Brilliant. Damn, that could have saved me some trouble a few years ago.

Olly

Me too :D  I used a laser level when I was building my obsy - a water level would have been a lot easier - never thought of it in spite of knowing about it before.

Archived