NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece Family

Naemeth

Quite a few new purchases recently have made me realise that I'm nearing having all the eyepieces I need, at least for now anyway...

Still left on the wishlist are:

Delos - 8mm, 10mm, 17.3mm

Nagler - 31mm

Ethos - 13mm, 17mm, 21mm

Paracorr II

Not set on all of them yet, but here is where I am:

post-22804-0-36552500-1383996807_thumb.j

Apologies for poor focus...

Gee whiz, Jonathon... That's a pretty darn nice looking little family you have there!

The Ethos 17mm is next on my list also. Interesting that you're wishing for both the Ethos 17mm and the Delos 17.3mm... Would you really be looking to add both of these to your collection?

Gee whiz, Jonathon... That's a pretty darn nice looking little family you have there!

The Ethos 17mm is next on my list also. Interesting that you're wishing for both the Ethos 17mm and the Delos 17.3mm... Would you really be looking to add both of these to your collection?

I'm undecided on that one.

Wouldn't use Alan as a bench mark.......he's a terrible influence on your wallet :evil6:

I dare say I'm a terrible influence on others' wallets too. 15 eyepieces (not including the ones I don't use!) and 5 OTAs in 19 months.

I dare say I'm a terrible influence on others' wallets too. 15 eyepieces (not including the ones I don't use!) and 5 OTAs in 19 months.

Not really ... but I suppose they give you something to look at during those cloudy Yorkshire nights ...  :rolleyes:

I'm undecided on that one.

Naemeth,try to find an opportunity to try both the Ethos and the Delos in your scope/similar scope before you buy,keeping in mind what objects will be your main targets with each.The Ethos has great light control/contrast and splits stars etc very well too.As an example the trapezium was split(e,f) with my 17 Ethos @ 70x,very tight but there.I use both Delos and Ethos for excellent ,but different views of objects.The 17mm Ethos is showing coma in my f4.8,whereas a 17.3mm Delos may be better in that regard-not sure if you have a coma corrector,but the 21 E will benefit from that most likely.Both the widefield and narrow field effect are nice to have in the arsenal.Anyway, trying them under good conditions should help you decide which you want to spend the money on.Have fun with your choice! :smiley:

Naemeth,try to find an opportunity to try both the Ethos and the Delos in your scope/similar scope before you buy,keeping in mind what objects will be your main targets with each.The Ethos has great light control/contrast and splits stars etc very well too.As an example the trapezium was split(e,f) with my 17 Ethos @ 70x,very tight but there.I use both Delos and Ethos for excellent ,but different views of objects.The 17mm Ethos is showing coma in my f4.8,whereas a 17.3mm Delos may be better in that regard-not sure if you have a coma corrector,but the 21 E will benefit from that most likely.Both the widefield and narrow field effect are nice to have in the arsenal.Anyway, trying them under good conditions should help you decide which you want to spend the money on.Have fun with your choice! :smiley:

I don't have a CC yet, was planning on a Paracorr just before a 31T5 (which is before all the Ethoses). Testing out in my scope would be difficult, as I don't drive I can't exactly take my scope anywhere. If I was to find someone with a 17.3mm Delos and a 10" dob however :).

Blimey, I'm a very great advocate of Tele Vue eyepieces but even I'd draw the line at having duplication in focal lengths from both the Ethos and Delos ranges :shocked:

Unless it's for testing purposes I guess.

I've carried some duplication in shorter focal lengths in the shape of Baader Genuine Orthos because I found there are occasions when the 6mm BGO controls light scatter just a little better than a similar focal length Ethos or Pentax XW but it's rarely used to be honest.

Still, if you have that kind of cash to spare I guess it's up to you what you do with it :smiley:

The Ethos (or the ES 100's for that matter) will show more coma in fast newts than eyepieces with smaller apparent fields of view of course because they show more off axis and coma grows the further off axis you get.

There is an argument, which might have some merit, that there is no point investing in a really well corrected 100 degree eyepiece such as an Ethos for use in a newtonian faster than, say, F/5 if you don't also invest in an effective coma corrector. 

Nice collection of eyepieces by the way Jonathan  :smiley:

Blimey, I'm a very great advocate of Tele Vue eyepieces but even I'd draw the line at having duplication in focal lengths from both the Ethos and Delos ranges :shocked:

Unless it's for testing purposes I guess.

I've carried some duplication in shorter focal lengths in the shape of Baader Genuine Orthos because I found there are occasions when the 6mm BGO controls light scatter just a little better than a similar focal length Ethos or Pentax XW but it's rarely used to be honest.

Still, if you have that kind of cash to spare I guess it's up to you what you do with it :smiley:

The Ethos (or the ES 100's for that matter) will show more coma in fast newts than eyepieces with smaller apparent fields of view of course because they show more off axis and coma grows the further off axis you get.

There is an argument, which might have some merit, that there is no point investing in a really well corrected 100 degree eyepiece such as an Ethos for use in a newtonian faster than, say, F/5 if you don't also invest in an effective coma corrector. 

Nice collection of eyepieces by the way Jonathan  :smiley:

I agree John, there is little point duplicating the focal length, unless there is something specific that one does and the other doesn't. While not a duplication, I sometimes find my 7mm LV more comfortable than the 8mm TV plossl, and they perform very similarly. I think, for the time being at least I'll leave both off, and hope to try both in an ~F/4.7.

That's  a nice ( royal ) family you have growing there Jonathan. :)

@John I think a CC is something I'll investing in as early as I can, If a paracorr turns up next year fine, but the GSO looks/seems quite a good solution at a reasonable price, time for thought.  In fact I'd be curious to see how a CC would tidy up the views even in eyepieces I have now. For sure in a cheaper eyepiece  the 25mm BST can show a bit of astigmatism so that will not be cured, but it would be  interesting to see what I'd be left with  adding a CC.

Just a gut feeling and on some figures, reading around etc, but something tells me already that if own wide angle good quality eyepieces in a fast newt, In some ways they are wasted without a CC.  Tidy up the views go all the way is what rings with me for some reason :smiley: .   No point spending loads having a wide angle FOV and a substantial amount of coma when a televue can hold up as well as f/4, but coma cannot be fought ( without a CC).

Archived