Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Focus Magic to correct elongated stars

Dave Smith

Focus magic is a program that I have found extremely useful in ordinary photography and astrophotography. Details of the program and a trial download can be found here http://www.focusmagic.com/index.html

My recent image of IC405 & IC410 http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/198839-ics-405-410-with-200mm-lens-in-ha/#entry2095515 suffered from elongated stars in the top left corner. Olly and Mark asked if I could let them know more about using Focus Magic.

I use Focus Magic within PS CS2. This was my procedure.

Firstly open the effected image in PS.

FM1.jpg

For this example I have used a crop from the top left corner including elongated stars and others not affected.

Next select the region with elongated stars with a largish feather (I have use 20 pixels)

FM2.jpg

Open up Focus Magic and choose "Fix motion blur".

FM3.jpg

Move the red square to an area of maximum elongation. Adjust the blur direction and distance until the desired effect is achieved looking at the before and after pics.

Press OK and deselect and there you are.

FM4.jpg

If there is anything I haven't made clear then don't hesitate to ask.

I have found this program so useful to tighten up the focus on many astropics. It works particularly well on Lunar photos.

Dave

I played with a trial version quite some time ago and felt that it gave surprisingly good results.  The problem with deconvolution in general is that it often generates artifacts make make it obvious decon has been applied.  However, FocusMagic kept any artifacts under control.

Mark

Thank you all for commenting.

I played with a trial version quite some time ago and felt that it gave surprisingly good results.  The problem with deconvolution in general is that it often generates artifacts make make it obvious decon has been applied.  However, FocusMagic kept any artifacts under control.

Mark

I entirely agree with this. As with any sharpening routine it is easy to overdo it. If you have a very blurry photo or badly elongated stars this program will not help.

Dave

Archived