Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

West Sussex Observing Group formed!

Hi everyone :) - myself and a few Horsham-ish based astronomers have discussed and formed a new group. We would like to hear from any one in the Horsham-ish and surrounding areas within West Sussex to get together and primarily observe, share and learn from each other.

We have a primary and secondary dark sky location - a few of us tested out the secondary location last night with great results - Milky Way easily visible straight out of the car; we'll need to wait for the primary to dry out a little more over the coming weeks and months.

The best idea we had about meeting up was to check the weather each day and alert everyone else to a possible good night sky - British weather means it's impossible really to plan ahead more than a day or two. If you can make it that night great but no pressure otherwise.

So, drop a line here if you are interested; obviously the initial planners can drop here too to make themselves known. PM Pauly or myself for details on the location. Thanks to Pauly for the great location!

cheers

Frank

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Broadway - I looked into local groups and it seemed it was a lot of theory which is great but I wanted to be out as much as possible. I had several friends who were itching just to get out in the field and image and observe as much as possible as well as try kit out on each others scopes etc. Plus also we wanted it to easy to drop in and drop out. If the skies are clear one evening we'll just send out a message and meet up, if you can make it great otherwise no worries. Does that help?

Hey I could be up for meeting up depending on when and where.....

HI Hawkeye - basically we tried to set up a Social Group on this forum so we could keep an eye on the skies and if a given night was a goer just post it to the Social Group and see who is up for it. The idea was as long as a couple or so were interested then we'd do it but more the merrier. We have a dark location with a back up one very close by. Unfortunately the site is going through a period of clean up with the Social Groups, so we're having to use this particular Thread as a standby. Hope to see you soon!

frank

HI Hawkeye - basically we tried to set up a Social Group on this forum so we could keep an eye on the skies and if a given night was a goer just post it to the Social Group and see who is up for it. The idea was as long as a couple or so were interested then we'd do it but more the merrier. We have a dark location with a back up one very close by. Unfortunately the site is going through a period of clean up with the Social Groups, so we're having to use this particular Thread as a standby. Hope to see you soon!

frank

Hi Frank, 

I'm not that far from you really, I'm in Burgess Hill so definitely up for meeting up if I'm free ..

Excellent Anthony & Hawkeye! How's everyone fixed for Tuesday? John, Paul, James? I don't think Nigel is free. I'm trying to persuade my friend Mark to come up from Brighton. Another friend Tom without a scope my come over from Southwater especially if there is going to be 5+ scopes there! :)

frank

Ok, I will keep my options open until we hear from Paul as I will be splitting my observation times between surrey and west Sussex as it takes the same amount of time to get to both locations.

In the meantime, Frank could please pm me a map as I can't remember where it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Supposed to be Mainly Clear tonight (8/10 according to my sky app) - anyone going out? I can't make it - prior gaming meeting :( - but hope some others go out. Next chance I get, I want to do the Winter Sky Tour listed in December Astronomy Now if anyone else is up for it? 11 of the top 13 brightest stars from the UK are out at the moment apparently. Plus I'd like to image Jupiter, Uranus and Mars if it is visible.

Anyone else fancy arranging a big meet up for the coming couple of weeks before Christmas, get as many bods on the ground as possible and observe/image the Winter Sky Tour?

frank

According to the Met Office App and Astro Panel App tomorrow night is actually a better night.

Tonight the mist is going to be kicking in by 21:00 and visability is only moderate.

Looking out the window (haywards heath), I see some cloud cover.

Clear sky by 18:00 moderate visability, then by 21:00 will be  good visability, with mist forming by 24:00 and dropping off after.

So we will have a +- 3hr window of clear sky's and good visability for some imaging

Let me know what you all think?

Anthony - I don't know if anyone else is going tonight. But if clear Saturday onwards then I'll be up for Cowfold.

Chris - welcome aboard! :)  - message "Pauly" for location - I hope from this weekend onwards we get a clear night - I'll try to gather as many people as possible for whenever that night is as there is a lot of interested people in the Horshamish area, get as many scopes pointing skywards as possible; want to build upon my imaging successes with Jupiter and Orion Nebula too :) 

Anyone else out there who expressed an interest for meeting up, please listen out here for a date from Weekend onwards - if we can't use Primary or nearby Secondary dark locations, there is a errr...Thirdary that Anthony knows.

frank

Archived