NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another EQ8...

ollypenrice

After much dithering (ho ho) Tom O'Donoghue and I have decided on an EQ8 for the Tak-attack rig of 2xFSQ106/Atik11000s. We tried it on an EM200...

Bino%20Q%20lar-M.jpg

...and were just about within payload. However, we had no serious way of aligning the scopes accurately and a massive Cassady tilt pan device, which would easily do the job, took us way over because it is very heavy on its own. (We borrowed Yves' to try it.) This will be the house rig when we have guests and will be used by Tom and I for joint projects when its free. We could put the TEC140 on there permanently as well but there are two objections. 1) It would be better to keep it available for other projects, visual or photographic and 2) the long tube forces a meridian flip before the short FSQs do.

We considered going up as far as the Paramount but the EQ8 would free up so much cash that it would fund a third second hand FSQ106N, for instance. Not that we have come to this stage yet!!! You have to think about it though. Getting the flaming star, 11.5 hours in an October night, shows the potential of the twin scope system. The alternative is the ultra fast single scope but they are so problematic, or potentially so, that we don't fancy them. We like refractors and I need kit that is dead reliable.

All we need now is Deep Blue to run the whole thing... :grin:  

Olly

Ooops, that should have been 'Tom and me.' What am I coming to, speaing French all day?

That shows how bad my English is - I would have taken out the 'Tom O'Donoghue and' and whatever was left in the sentence would be correct  - but then me didn't teach English at school!

This sounds like an interesting departure for you, Olly and by all accounts, the EQ8 will certainly have the payload capacity.

The EQ8 sets an interesting new price/capacity benchmark and I shall watch this space with interest.

My english lessons taught me that it should be "Tom and I did this or that".  Like Steve says, take off the "Tom and" and what you have left is correct.  But maybe things changed after I was taught english in the 1950s.

"Tom and I" is the subject part of the sentance - if it were the object side it would be "Tom and me".

That shows how bad my English is - I would have taken out the 'Tom O'Donoghue and' and whatever was left in the sentence would be correct  - but then me didn't teach English at school!

This sounds like an interesting departure for you, Olly and by all accounts, the EQ8 will certainly have the payload capacity.

The EQ8 sets an interesting new price/capacity benchmark and I shall watch this space with interest.

You are both right, and for the right reasons, for the first 'Tom and I.' It's the second one which is wrong. '...used by Tom and me...'

I crave your forgiveness.

Curiously my life in two languages is playing havoc with my brain circuitry in various ways. If speaking in French and coming to a foreign name which belongs firmly in my English life (say 'Fellini' in a conversation about film) my brain simply stops and refuses to make the name available. I know who I mean but the name is just not there, so I have to backtrack in English and come to it that way. The French keyboard also has me typing pairs of letters backwarsd - like that. If any medical experts feel that this indicates the onset of fast track dementia, well, please don't tell me!

Olly

I'm getting worse and worse. You are, of course, right. I guess I misread my own sentence before correcting it!

Time to get me coat.

Olly

Me coat? ...... ME COAT? .................:smiley: I used to get punishments dished out at boarding school when I used to say such things! It was hard going to boarding school when I had such a strong carrot crunchers accent, despite the school being in the same zider drinking county!!

Now let me think about your punishment - I fear that the 4 pages of 'dictionary sides' I used to get would not be helpful to you!!! :smiley:

I thought you were correcting this:

This will be the house rig when we have guests and will be used by Tom and I for joint projects when its free.

Not this:

After much dithering (ho ho) Tom O'Donoghue and I have decided on an EQ8 for the Tak-attack rig of 2xFSQ106/Atik11000s.

Cheers,

Chris

Did you think about a Mesu?

Yes indeed. However, much as I like them, they are still twice the price of the EQ8 and since we're not aiming to use long focal lengths (needing ultra precise tracking) we decided to go easy on the cash. I'm not saying the EQ8 won't do very long FL tracking, it's just that we don't know for certain that it will, yet.

Olly

Yes indeed. However, much as I like them, they are still twice the price of the EQ8 and since we're not aiming to use long focal lengths (needing ultra precise tracking) we decided to go easy on the cash. I'm not saying the EQ8 won't do very long FL tracking, it's just that we don't know for certain that it will, yet.

Olly

I suppose you can always test it at long focal lengths - just to see what happens :D.

Me coat? ...... ME COAT? ................. :smiley: I used to get punishments dished out at boarding school when I used to say such things! It was hard going to boarding school when I had such a strong carrot crunchers accent, despite the school being in the same zider drinking county!!

Now let me think about your punishment - I fear that the 4 pages of 'dictionary sides' I used to get would not be helpful to you!!! :smiley:

Do they still bovver with grammar at school ? try and correct youth of today and the response you'll get will be "whatever", they think grammar is there mums mum :)

Dave

Archived