Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ6 Saddle with 15cm dovetail = doesn't fit!

MattGoo

I recently purchased a second hand Skywatcher EQ6 Pro Synscan in white, and it came with the original saddle.

EQ6 Saddle

I've lugged everything to my usual location, and then struggled in the dark to try and fit my scope (ED80) which has on it a standard Skywatcher small (15cm) dovetail, and it doesn't fit!!!

What kind of rubbish is that?? I suppose I should have checked the fitting before leaving the house, but you'd think it'd all fit together since they're from the same company...

So I think it leaves these options:

a) File the Skywatcher small dovetail so it fits the saddle

B) Buy a new dovetail that fits

c) Buy a new saddle e.g. like the one which comes with the NEQ6?

d) Buy a new (expensive) ADM saddle

Any advice?

Skywatcher 80ED telescopes arent generally sold with a 15cm dovetail bar, they always come with a 21cm bar - which is what you will need so you can slide it back and forth in the saddle in order to balance it.

They're pretty cheap and if you get your order in asap you could probably have it by Tuesday morning.

The Skywatcher 15cm short dovetail isn't totally dovetail shaped - it has squarer sections in the middle - which are stopping it sliding into the EQ6 saddle.

I used the short dovetail since my ST80 guidescope is mounted on top of my ED80 using another short dovetail.

It was all ok on my EQ5, now I've 'upgraded' to an EQ6 it's all gone wrong!

Somehow you have a non-standard dovetail with your Evostar 80ED.  Mine came with a standard Vixen style dovetail that fitted the Vixen slot in my NEQ6 perfectly.

I used short dovetails because I have my ED80 & ST80 piggybacked in the following configuration:

ED80 ST80

You can see the square sections of the short dovetail here:

Short Dovetail

I might just file the square sections off the short dovetail so it fits the EQ6 saddle.

Archived