NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is APT auto dithering?

peroni

Hey all.

Just like the title says... I was reading through the APT instructions and came across the "built in auto dithering, when there is no guiding program" feature.

I don't have a guiding setup and was wondering if I could use this feature. Any ideas?

My setup consists of :

ED80 scope

HEQ5 mount connected to laptop using EQMOD and ASCOM

Canon 1000D connected to laptop

Cartes du Ciel for alignment and target finding

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

You need a guiding set up with guide camera and guide scope.  APT will connect to your guide programme such as PHD (you need to enable the server in PHD), and then APT will tell PHD to dithering between exposures.  Of course you can run PHD independently of APT but then you don't get the benefits of dithering. 

I use it and it works well.  You connect to it through the telescope tab in APT. 

Carole

You need a guiding set up with guide camera and guide scope.  APT will connect to your guide programme such as PHD (you need to enable the server in PHD), and then APT will tell PHD to dithering between exposures.  Of course you can run PHD independently of APT but then you don't get the benefits of dithering. 

That's great thanks Carole. I have a guiding setup on my wish list. Just need the funds now  :rolleyes:

When this option is selected APT will make dithering itself. This option requires a telescope connection in order to be able to move the position between the images.

APT dithering was implemented for everybody that don't have or don't need guiding (PHD or MetaGuide) but want to use dithering :)

When this option is selected APT will make dithering itself. This option requires a telescope connection in order to be able to move the position between the images.

APT dithering was implemented for everybody that don't have or don't need guiding (PHD or MetaGuide) but want to use dithering :)

Hi Yoddha.

What is dithering? 

Dithering is making a small movements of the scope between the images. By this way the sensor defects and the heat noise are always on different places. Then when you stack 8 or more images you can use "Sigma" rejection/stack algorithm that is capable to produce by my opinion better images than using darks calibration :)

Dithering is making a small movements of the scope between the images. By this way the sensor defects and the heat noise are always on different places. Then when you stack 8 or more images you can use "Sigma" rejection/stack algorithm that is capable to produce by my opinion better images than using darks calibration  :)

This sounds like something to try out  :grin: . Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Archived