NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What equipment should I get for my soon to be here Skywatcher 130p (with motor)

OK folks

Tues or Weds next week I should have my Skywatcher 130p Delivered

It's got the standard stuff that comes with the Scope,

but I just wondered what else I could get to enhance it's use/functionality etc.

(main purpose is to view Moon & Planets)

Your comments and suggestions always appreciated as usual

Bryan

You say with motors so I assume an EQ3-2 mount ?

If not part of the kit then a polar scope, I don't think they supply one.

You may want a moon filter, as you say looking at the moon.

For maintenance you will need a collimator of some variety.

Will say that in my opinion the provided eyepieces are poor. They will allow you to view but that is about it, it is better if what you view produces a good image.

Once you have beaten the EQ3 into submission, then think about a couple. The Starguiders seem more then adaquate for the 130P something like: 5mm for 130x, 8mm for 81x and 18mm for 36x.

How you power the mount is up to you, I would look at a Maplins mains/DC adaptor - Maplins item L06BR.

Figured that about the eyepieces - most of the threads say they are adequate, but will need replacing at some time.

as for the Moon Filter, a friend of mine has a polarising Filter set which he has given me (he has no idea where it came from) and that is supposed to double as a moon filter.

and as for the Polar Scope... Whats that ????

Good Idea about the adaptor, I have a box full in the loft... have to see if one is compatible, otherwise the Maplin's is a good as any.

Thanks

You said motor rather than motors, so you may be getting an EQ2 mount rather than a EQ3-2 mount. The EQ2 mount is the usual mount sold with the 130P.

If that is the case then don't worry about a polar scope (which is a small scope which lives inside an EQ2 mount's RA axis and is used to help in polar aligning) as the EQ2 doesn't have one.

Richard

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

The EQ3-2 should run fine on a set of decent quality Alkaline batteries (EDIT: especially if it's EQ2 with single motor drive, mains power seems like overkill), if it's the same sort of motor pack that goes with the CG-4.  6V and whatever Amps four normal AA batteries are capable of kicking out.  I prefer this over a chunky battery or mains lead for this small mount, less to trip over in the dark and pack away at the end of the night.  My pack came with a battery holder for four D cells, but I made my own battery pack that holds AA batteries as a bit of online research suggested that most D cells are a con and just have a single AA battery cell inside.  I tried D cell adaptors which take AA batteries but found them awkward to fit and remove from the battery pack.

You may want to think about a dew shield, if not for the main scope then make a small one from black card for the finder which will probably be the first thing to dew up.  Keep the cap on the eyepiece end of the finder when not in use to keep the dew at bay.  Eyepieces in your pocket with the caps on does the trick for them, the key is to keep their glass surface temperature above the dew point.

Good thick socks and hat, several layers and a warm coat.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a barlow lens, the supplied one won't be much cop and to spend money on a good one would cost as much as the scope, and would not be justified.

The moon filter is just a Neutral Density filter, usually ND 0.9 but you might need ND 0.6 for the 130P (ask the retailer before buying), can't go far wrong with them as long as it has the correct thread size.  They can also be used on Jupiter and Saturn to reduce the glare a bit at medium magnification.  Never be tempted to use any kind of eyepiece filter for looking at the sun, you need special solar film at the very least which covers the open end of the telescope.

I know we ALL want to buy those little "extras" for our scopes but my best advice would be buy nothing yet.  you may eventually want a moon filter or like many, prefer not to use one (I've tried both and prefer it without). If you are doing visual which I assume (maybe wrongly) will be your starting point, then you'll probably get by without a polar scope. You will eventually need a collimation tool but once again I've read of people who have gone yrs without one using only a film canister adapted for use as a sight tube. 

And lastly (and I hope this isn't the case), you may not find using a scope is as enjoyable as you had hoped. If this is the case, ask questions here.some one will be able to steer you in the right direction to improve your viewing pleasure ( that sounded like a cheesy ad from the sixties :) ). 

So..... in short get your scope and use it....you'll soon know what you need/want :D.

Hope this is of some help

Scott

I would follow the good advice given by auspom above. You really need to use your scope to get an idea of it's strengths and weaknesses before emptying your wallet on accessories.

Polar alignment has been touched on a couple of times, for visual observing this really doesn't need to be spot on. My method is to get Polaris in the centre of the FOV with a high power EP using the al/az adjusters. Doing this will keep an object centred with just an occasional adjustment to the declination control. BTW when Polaris is centred in this way it is a good time to fine tune the alignment of your finder.

I'm sure when you get your new scope you will have loads of questions (we all started somewhere) , just ask.

Most important enjoy.

Good luck and clear skies.

Lots of good advice there, thanks

Seems maybe a 'Wait and See what I got and how it performs' is the way to go.

I'll do that (weather/clouds etc. permitting) and report back!

Thanks for all your suggestions - very useful as always

Bryan

Lots of good advice there, thanks

Seems maybe a 'Wait and See what I got and how it performs' is the way to go.

I'll do that (weather/clouds etc. permitting) and report back!

Thanks for all your suggestions - very useful as always

Bryan

Yep. Wait til you have the scope and learn to use it before you go spending any money on it. Something worthwhile from the get-go is a red LED torch. Something you can wear on the head to keep your hands free is ideal. You can buy head torches in most DIY stores for less then a fiver.

I know we ALL want to buy those little "extras" for our scopes but my best advice would be buy nothing yet.  you may eventually want a moon filter or like many, prefer not to use one (I've tried both and prefer it without). If you are doing visual which I assume (maybe wrongly) will be your starting point, then you'll probably get by without a polar scope. You will eventually need a collimation tool but once again I've read of people who have gone yrs without one using only a film canister adapted for use as a sight tube. 

And lastly (and I hope this isn't the case), you may not find using a scope is as enjoyable as you had hoped. If this is the case, ask questions here.some one will be able to steer you in the right direction to improve your viewing pleasure ( that sounded like a cheesy ad from the sixties :) ). 

So..... in short get your scope and use it....you'll soon know what you need/want :D.

Hope this is of some help

Scott

+1

Just get the scope and use it, work out what you want as you go along - it's far too easy to get worried about the amount of kit we have and to not enjoy the hobby as much because of worry.

Archived