SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first look at jupiter

wayneh

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jupiter was the second thing I saw in my telescope.  The first was obviously the moon.  Google Sky Map directed me to Jupiter and I adjusted my telescope carefully.  There it was, a bright circle with little spots beside it.

Looked like this in my eye piece:   · · O ·

I ran inside and forced my fiance into the cold night air to make her look.  It was an incredible feeling.  Now I just want to see farther and get closer.  Its awe inspiring enough to look out into space and know we're just one speck in the universe, barely noticeable.  To see Jupiter like that (even with no detail of the surface) really had my head spinning.  It's a moment I'll never forget.

When you eventually see the Great Red Spot (GRS) in Jupiter - just imagine - you can get 5 Earths in that alone - gives you a good idea of the size of Jupiter.

Comparisons like this I find really useful, they help me understand what I'm looking at. 

Comparisons like this I find really useful, they help me understand what I'm looking at. 

For getting some grasp of comparative scales I love this interactive animation:

The Scale of the Universe 2

which allows you to zoom from human scale out to the observable universe, and in to the Planck length, with lots of interesting objects on the way including the planets, moons, stars, nebulae, clusters, and galaxies!  Most stuff is clickable for info.  It's brilliant!  (Not affiliated in any way...)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first look at Jupiter tonight with my 12" dob. Blown away! Bands & spot easily visible and in colour. Spent a good 30 mins with my eye welded to the eyepiece, totally mesmerized by this beautiful planet.. Can't wait to see Saturn.

The difference from my 130eq to the big dob is vast. Glad I made the upgrade :)

My first view of Jupiter was a total let down. I was so keen that I just opened the door and pointed the scope out without even cooling down (the scope  -not me!). Needless to say it was just an orange blob! Since then I have had more patience and seen some amazing views of Jupiter and it's belts, bands (and missing band), spots, festoons, moon transits etc etc.

I ran inside and forced my fiance into the cold night air to make her look.  

Hehe, did the same with my wife.  Doesnt matter how many times you have seen it on tv or pictures, that first sight with your own eyes is magical.

Hehe, did the same with my wife.  Doesnt matter how many times you have seen it on tv or pictures, that first sight with your own eyes is magical.

Same here, all I got was that's very nice now can I go back in the warm.

I could never imagine getting bored looking at Jupiter and its moons.

Archived