Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Paddock Observatory

continuum

Just had  my obsy built by a local bespoke timber buildings company.They have made a very good job of it but we are having problems with opening and closing the roof. I supplied the wheels ( Screwfix rubber) and the aluminium angle for the track.  The roof is very substantial and I feel that it is too heavy for the wheels, so what are other people using?

It is only 7'6" by 7' so it really shouldn't be a problem.

I have looked at sliding gate track and wheels. This would be a last resort due to the cost.

Ideas please for both track and wheels.

Ron

I used these heavy duty ones with proper roller bearings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Flight-Case-Castors-4-Green-Wheels-Fixed-/330592248648

I discarded the metal support and mounted them on bolts - the axle has an inner sleeve that a bolt goes through.  I would highly recommend them.  I have a very heavy roof but it glides on these.

Mark

How many wheels did they use?  It may simply be that the loading per wheel is too high and installing a few more will reduce the per wheel loading and solve the problem.  My 7' by 9' wooden observatory, which has quite a heavy roof, runs on 10 screwfix rubber wheels - 5 on each side.  They run directly on the wooden runners with a "keep rail" which has around 3mm clearance each side.

I used the 75mm ScrewFix rubber wheels, 4 on each side of an 8'x8' roof, running in an aluminium u-channel.

Might be worth checking if the wheels are running straight and there's no snagging anywhere.  It took me a little bit fof ine tuning to get the channel in the right alignment, but it was OK after that.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. They used Screwfix 50mm rubber castors, 4 per side . As these give a total cleararnce of 70mm between the roof timber carrying the wheels and the beam they ride on, I am a bit limited for increasing the castor diameter without a major rebuild. So maybe extra castors and a check on the straightness of the run is worthwhile, although I do like the look of the castors Chris used, especially as the size is pretty close.

How did you mount those Chris? I assume bolted between wood strips?

Ron

No, but I guess it can be done this way.

I needed a very low profile (to stay within the permitted max 2.50m building height.

So I thought long and hard how to mount the wheels and this is what I came up with. There is 3 on either side of the roof.

mini-IMG_0382.JPG

mini-IMG_9348.JPG

mini-IMG_9399.JPG

I think I like the metal pulleys running on the metal rail rather than my 100mm rubber tyres on wood - more positive lining up.  But does it make much noise?

Archived