Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roll off roof observatory

SteveA

Hi everyone...

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding the design of a roll off roof observatory ?

I've sketched out a few ideas myself and I know there are various ideas out on the internet, but wondered if anyone had experience of building one themselves. My main concerns are over the construction off the roof, particularly weight and the design of the rails....cheers..

Here's my own efforts:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=10510.0

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=11627.0

This build was pretty much done on the fly as it was my second build so I knew pretty much what wanted todo.

There's a yahoo group worth looking at:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roll_Off_Roof/

And also this site has lots of links to self builds:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sg.waters/page40.html

Hi. Steve.

A number of members have made their own Roll off Obs. you can see lots of pictures in the DIY section. This one in fact.

If the visuals can't help, then just ask the relevant questions. Basically, the thing is a basic shed of whtever dimensions you wish to make it, ensuring that it's layout aspect is conducive to accessing the southern sky. The roof is a seperate entity, which in my own case has 4x 75mm Rubber clad fixed wheels (Not Castors) to allow the roof to be easily pushed back seated on 2"x2" x.25" steel angle, which is fixed to 3"x3" wooden rails, extending back from the shed sides, and terminating at a distance which is the length of the roof itself.

These rails are supported by posts of the same dimensions fitted into steel post holders, sunk into the ground and embedded in concrete.

An end rail connects the two side rails at the end of the run, just for a bit more stability.

Mine is amongst a few others, whose designs differ slightly, but the same principles apply. Don't forget the mount for your scope.

If you are going to have a pier for extreme stability, then a hole has to be dug out to take this pier. Filled in and around with concrete.

All that work is straight forward, but again help is available if you need it. Just ask away, we are all ready and willing to provide assistance to you.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Hi

I would love to convert my Astro shed into a roll off roof system but as with all of them you need space to put the support uprights which support the roof when open. This means having available a space twice the size of the shed. I wonder if there is any other way such as a roller blind type of roofing that you could roll back into its own space. The problem could be getting one which would be waterproof in a horizontal installation. Any thoughts?

Robin

The roller blind Idea is a sound one Robin. Might be a bit expensive. I saw a design somewhere, in which the roof opened like a pair of wings, half either side folding down. Very ingenious it was, but although not a lot of extra space was required, some was needed.

Even having each half of the roof sliding down on runners, and locking to the sides whilst in use is a good Idea. If they are made light enough, it could be a one man job sliding them back into place after use.

Ron.

Hi Steve

Here's a link to pics of my build http://iseestars.net/?pgid=user-images&input=161

I had most of my idea's down on paper and then made a few things up as it progressed. I was going to use angle iron or such for rails but ended up with heavy fixed castors running on timber with a batten down one side to act as runners, works very well. My roof is heavy but I can pull it ok, could have been made a lot lighter if it was just felt covered.

Any questions, just ask

DAve

Hi Guys...

I have to say I'm blown away by the obvious quality of workmanship on all of your builds...these have given me some vary serious food for thought! If I can come any where close to these beauties I'll be very happy. I'm going to take my sketches and use some of the ideas I can see in your constructions and take it forward.

I've just got to decide how big to make the thing and where to site it, I've a fairly small garden, with not particularly perfect views in any direction and the best spot is not possibly going to be my wife's favourite !!...still having just bought her a new Mini Cooper convertible I can probably get away with anything for the next few weeks....

Quick question to "upgrader"....where did you get the base plates for the EQ6 in the pics of your pier ?...did you make them yourself ?

Anyway thanks everyone...I'll keep you posted when I get the construction going....and almost forgot....Happy New Year....

Would some form of folding shutter design work and possibly be somewhat cheaper ? You could use a flexible rubberised sections to cover the hinges...

Designs are only limited by imagination John. If you can see something in your minds eye, you can make it.

With the materials at our disposal these days, anything is possible.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Quick question to "upgrader"....where did you get the base plates for the EQ6 in the pics of your pier ?...did you make them yourself ?

The pier plate was made by a another member of UKAI board who did as a favour.

Archived