Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where am i going wrong ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just waiting for a few of the stars i like to align to to rise a little more so i can see them behind the roof tops and bushes :) It had better work otherwise i'm well and truly stuffed till the next clear Sat night.

Could I just ask a question about cone error? I've never checked my scope for this but if I'm using 3 star alignment which compensates for this and I'm getting good GOTO performance (I seem to), need I worry about this? What are the disadvantages of letting the software compensate?

The cone error i have now fixed eventually after my first try i did incorrectly. I have just done a 2 star alignment but still refuses to point in the correct direction.

I took a picture of the readout after the alignment, can anyone explain to me what this means please ?

33kvn07.jpg

In essence, you can ignore those numbers.

Whilst you are doing a 2 or 3 star alignment, your handset is working out how much error there is in your polar alignment; these numbers suggest your polar alignment is incorrect by nearly 10 degrees in elevation, and 3 degrees in azimuth. 10 degrees is 20x the diameter of the moon, so that is clearly rubbish if you lined Polaris up roughly correct in the polar scope.

It thinks your error in polar alignment is so large, because there is a problem with your star alignment. Any errors in your star alignment will give the handset false coordinates and as such it calculate the polr alignment incorrectly.

For example, if the formula is:

2y + 2z = PAerror

If y should be 5, and z should be 10, then PAerror should be (2x5) + (2x10) = 30. However if you give it slightly incorrect data to start with (y=4, and z=9) then you get a different answer (2x4) + (2x9) = 26.

So, as I said at the beginning, until you work out why your alignment is not being successful, it is pointless looking at these numbers. (And if I'm honest, even when you have alignment bang on, I'm not convinced these numbers are that accurate). So, you need to continue to get to the bottom of why your star alignment isn't working. And remember, your inability to get a good star alignment at present is nothing to do with polar alignment.

You need someone to watch hat you do, and then for them to have a go and see if there is still an easy solution to this.

Is this a brand new mount with factory fitted motors, or second hand/user fitted motors?

You could try a 'factory re-set' on the handset - no idea what in the handset may be resulting in these issues but worth a try and nothing to lose.

You've eliminated cone error; I still want you to make sure the telescope is snug in the rings and not moving at all when the mount move it. Also, is there any laxity in either axis when the clutches are locked (back lash)?

Is the scope reasonably well collimated and the focuser sitting square on to the tube?

Can you attach your DSLR into the saddle of the mount, and do a star alignment with that to see if the mount works ok, but the problem is with the telescope and its rings?

We need to find someone who lives near you to help. Does Professor Brian Cox live near by? lol :)

I am greatly frustrated for you. I feel pretty helpless. But as I've said before, we will find the solution, it is just tedious working out what it is.

James

The motors are brand new after my first lot of the basic version blew up on me -_-, not having much luck here. These motors i have fitted myself, watched countless videos to make sure i fitted them correctly. I havn't yet collimated the scope as i just haven't got any money to buy one to do so after buying the upgrade kit, i've done the basic checks like unfocusing on a star an checking for the black dot to see if it is central and not to the side of the defocused star, black dot is central so it looks ok.

Well i am hoping he will be future Prof as i'm going for the subject he lectures :) Physics with astrophysics. 

If all else does fail i will just wait to see if a club member will help me out.

Don't wait till you are pulling your hair out; get someone from your local club to help out sooner rather than later.

I'm just wondering if the motors are somehow to blame for this.... But this is totally out of my area of knowledge. Maybe start a new thread with synscan motors in the title, and see if anyone else has fitted their own motors and if they ran into any subsequently goto inaccuracy.

James

Don't wait till you are pulling your hair out; get someone from your local club to help out sooner rather than later.

I'm just wondering if the motors are somehow to blame for this.... But this is totally out of my area of knowledge. Maybe start a new thread with synscan motors in the title, and see if anyone else has fitted their own motors and if they ran into any subsequently goto inaccuracy.

James

I'll search around and refit the motors again to see if it does anything, i myself am getting rather bored of this not working. You must be even more listening to me have nonstop problems ;)

Are you at manchester uni then?

I'm still at college at the moment but will be applying for Manchester Uni. 

Archived