NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

15x70 revelation bins?

rory

As I've noticed an online astro retailer selling them under. £50 . Was wondering if anyone has used them ? I accept that you might not get the full 70mm as there's a step down in some of these cheaper models. I wondered if at that price they are say opticaly as good as Olympus dps 10x50 which are similar price but obviously lesser aperture.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi Rory, I've just bought a couple of these,1 for me and a pair for my dad, he's not into astronomy - just general "looking".

I've never really done a lot of bino astronomy, just lately, been using my 10 x 50's, had my first night out with the 17 x 70's last night and found them to be very nice - I have quite bad eyesight and was wondering about using them correctly adjusted (Dioptre setting) due to the large difference in each eye.  So ordered my dads first to try them - they are spot on - with or without the specs - I've been observing for years through scopes and never wear my specs at the EP.

I MUST SAY THAT I ONLY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH MY 10 X 50 TASCO AND THE NEW REVELATION 15 X 70'S.

I would put them as budget bino's, so you can't really compare them with bino's costing many times the price of these.

I observe under very light polluted skies in the west Midlands  - last night was very clear - tried the usual M objects, M27 was visible with a little averted vision, M57 wasn't but the starfield which includes the "ring" was packed with stars, I could just make out a "hint" of the Milky Way around Cygnus with a couple of M objects, also very very subtle hints of the North american with accompanying stars, M2 and M15 were "there", M31 was nearly overhead - very nice.  Not sure but I think i could just see "hints" of M33 - just slightly above background sky brightness - so, all in all, a really nice intro for me into Bino Astronomy.

Will, I think, be doing a lot more now with the Bino's, thought my bad eyesight would affect the views, but eye relief with specs on was fine, also adjustment to use without specs was really good, but remember, I'm no Bino expert - just a quick "sweep" around the skies - but really impressed and for £50 - nice build quality - nice optics - good contrast - decent FOV - but that's from a novice bino user, I'm sure more will put to the thread, but they are a nice keeper for me and will be used a lot more.  Regards   Paul.

Thanks Rory, the both pairs I had and checked seemed to be consistent, good focus in both sides in both pairs at different distances with aided and unaided vision, on infinity, nice stars with consistent views in both sides, also, nice exit pupils when held away from the eyes with no collimation issues - well, not any that i could see, producing nice images in daylight as well as at night, not tried on the moon yet, so not sure if there's any false colour on the fringes, but on tree lines against a bright sky - fine.

Had them from Telescope house, really well packaged and double boxed, with "fragile glass" taped all around the box, ordered and delivered next day - not sure if they check them before they're sent out - but no problems - even using hand held for a couple of hours, holding them near their objectives.   Paul

I'd go with the 15 x 70 as long as you are willing to either tinker or put up with the hassle of returning them if you do get a duff set. The other consideration is that if cost is an issue then with 15 x 70 you will want to budget for a tripod unless you only expect to use them for short periods. The difference between mounted and hand held is far greater than the difference in aperture.

Yep, another vote for the 15 x 70's.  For me with just my very short and new experience of Bino viewing, there seems to be no comparison to using very long focal length telescopes (the only ones I have).  The majority of the objects viewed through Binos (most of the M objects) are barely just "detectable" if visible at all due to their size in a 4 ish degree bino field, M27 - a very faint "smudge" using averted vision, M15, M2 - again just smudges - so well compact globs are there.

I think where the 15 x 70's come into their own is with the open star clusters, asterisms and probably large diffuse nebulae (in much better skies than I have used up to yet!!!) - M31 was really nice in the Bino's - very distinct with a "fantastic" presence in the FOV - down to the just "detectable" M33, also a hint of the North American nebulae with regular checks in Nortons for position, also, the double cluster in Perseus - visible - but small and nothing like the views through the scope

For me, the other night the best views for me were the "starfields" around Cygnus, Perseus and Cassiopeia, with double after double and clusters that filled the FOV.

Given me a whole new outlook on skies with much less than ideal conditions - its just shows that you can "see" the wonders of the night sky - even from very light polluted West Midland skies.    Paul.

I'd tinker with old second hand ones but I'd not tinker with newly bought ones, out of principle as much as anything. Although if I bought new I'd probably ask the seller to check before sending if possible.

All good points though, thanks.

On another note, I'd probably grab a cheap monopod if I do go down the 15x70 route . As of yet I'm still undecided on which route to take, but hey I suppose the stars ain't going anywhere soon , so no rush .

Clear skies. .

Nice 1 Rory - just a little off thread - or maybe relevant - you mention a monopod - any thoughts - done a little searchin and there's one for about £8 on Amazon - I know its only a telescopic pole - but would this be adequate - next point - a ball head, any ideas if the cheap ball heads would be ok with the 15 x 70's - or any other reccomendations, as I'm no Bino expert as you can see - all new territory for me.   Paul.

I've not tried a monopod but I have a gut feeling that a cheap monopod would work better than a cheap tripod. A tripod has to hold the weight of the binoculars and resist wind etc, whereas a monopod is really just giving you an extra stability point and then you are providing most of the support. That's badly explained but it's a little like trekking poles, a trekking pole won't hold up 70Kg of hiker but it will make them stable. On the other hand at least with a tripod you can leave the things point at the sky while you do something else.

A few thoughts on the above:

1. The problem I have experienced with cheap monopods is that the leg clamps tend to work loose after a year or so. Better ones have adjustable leg clamps, so they can be tightened if they do work loose -- works out cheaper in the long run.
  2. With tripods, you soon get a situation where your legs and the tripods legs try to occupy the same bit of spacetime.
  3. For observing anything above about 45*, if you don't want a stiff neck, you need to sit/recline. This adds more legs to the confusion in #2 (above).
  4. These budget 15x70s are tolerable on a neckpod (better than hand-held, not so good as a monopod)
  5. "Vanilla" ball-and-sockets on a monopod or tripod are a pain to use; trigger-grips (NOT pistol-grips!) are a pleasure!

More on this sort of stuff on my Mounting Binoculars for Astronomy page.

Nice 1 Rory - just a little off thread - or maybe relevant - you mention a monopod - any thoughts - done a little searchin and there's one for about £8 on Amazon - I know its only a telescopic pole - but would this be adequate - next point - a ball head, any ideas if the cheap ball heads would be ok with the 15 x 70's - or any other reccomendations, as I'm no Bino expert as you can see - all new territory for me.   Paul.

We will be using the Revelation 15x70's tonight on the monopod for Andromeda.

It will be directly overhead again - same as last night.

I ordered this monopod from Ebay because it already has a tilt head on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171130991560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It could do with a quick release so I can swap it over onto the Lidls £16 tripod a bit easier.

But for £8.95p I can't complain.

It came from a UK seller = fast delivery.

The 90 degree plastic bracket is yet to arrive from China / Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110679107031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have taken the one off the tripod to use in the meantime.

Your whole kit will be £61 all in.

Note: The £9 monopod is much better than the wobbly Lidls tripod (Silverline brand)

Especially for the overhead views which can't be done unless you are standing underneath the binoculars

The 90 degree plastic bracket is yet to arrive from China / Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110679107031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have taken the one off the tripod to use in the meantime.

The plastic ones have a tendency to flex like crazy! Either get a metal one (usually cheaper in the long run) or reinforce the plastic one with a length of 6mm diam rod (e.g. decapitated M6 bolt) epoxied into the recess on either side (fill the recesses with epoxy).

The plastic ones have a tendency to flex like crazy! Either get a metal one (usually cheaper in the long run) or reinforce the plastic one with a length of 6mm diam rod (e.g. decapitated M6 bolt) epoxied into the recess on either side (fill the recesses with epoxy).

Will do.

I noticed the side flex when I was moving the monopod to a safer place with the 15x70's attached.

The plastic bracket didn't like the weight of the bins attached.

I thought it was the tripod flexing - but it may have been the bracket.

Jnb, Steve, Reeny, Thanks very much for the replies/advice - will be looking into things a little deeper now - just as an overall question on the thread - How do the high end priced Bino's compare with the budget Bino's purely from a visual point - I know that build quality/adjustment would be far better - but just from a visual angle - not sure if anyone has compared the "Rolls Royce" and the "Mini" side by side under light polluted skies.  Thanks again all - its probably been discussed a thousand times though.    Paul.

I own a Horizon de Luxe 15x70, bought cheap, and it does need a little tweaking.

Bought it as a means of testing whether a 15x70 is usable for me. While it is not up to specs

with properly tuned 15-70's, the results are promising enough to one day get me one of the

higher end class. Owning a 22x100 it will probably conclude my bino-collection.

I've got both the Revelation 15X70s and Olympus DPS-1. I think both are very good (no problems with my Revelations) and use both regularly. In my view the Olympus are slightly sharper and less prone to colour fringing, but the Revelations also have that bit more magnification. Both give good views but I find I need to use the 15X70s on a tripod or monopod. DPS-1s are fine hand held. Both amazing value, just slightly different. If I had to choose one over the other it would be the Olympus for their instant grab and go useability, but it's a close call.

Incidentally, I also have some Helios 25X100, and I prefer both the Olympus and Revelations to those. Great views, but very unwieldy.

Archived