NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all,

as I have received some amazing advice and ideas from the very kind and generous people on these forums I have come here to see if any people may be able to solve a problem I have been encountering for some time?

I was wondering if anyone knows any good darker skies around the Bristol area than I would have in my local Kingswood area? I have finished as much of the Messier list as I can but I am really struggling with the more challenging Caldwell and Herschel objects, and believe that some darker skies my definitely help.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be incredibly grateful.

Many thanks for everyone's guidance and support,

Chris

Where you are, it is much easier to drive out east. Once you get a little past Wick on the A420 skies improve quite a bit,  plenty fields there too,  Alternatively if you are prepared to drive about 45 mins you options open up in the direction of the A46. Use this site as a reference for light pollution.

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

I've ventured a field here and there just using that and google maps/street to spot a place to park and observe. Nothing fixed so far, different fields, different adventure,  and I had no angry animals or farmers chasing me away thus far   :)

I could do with getting towards some dark sites in my quest for M31 so it's a short hop for me to Badminton or Marshfield If someone wants to join me as I am still new to this star gazing stuff and eager to learn more. :)

Archived